Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious black fox spreads fear

emmy

Residents of a mountainous county in central Norway are growing increasingly worried about a new breed of fox that appears downright vicious. They fear the fox kills purely for pleasure, and will threaten grazing sheep this summer.

Sogn og Fjordane is known for its majestic mountains and fjords, and now for a mysterious black fox.

The animal is said to be black and much larger than the red fox that's long been a fixture in Norwegian wildlife. It's considered aggressive, both against other animals and people.

No one has been able to estimate how many of the black foxes now populate the county of Sogn og Fjordane, where it's been spotted most frequently. Its origin is also unclear, but experts suspect it's a mixture of the wild red fox and tame foxes.

No photographs exist yet of the black fox, which was first spotted about three years ago. County wildlife consultant Jon Jordanger says it presents a new, unwelcome element in the area.

Jordanger said the black fox is not afraid of people. He suspects it's a mixed breed because "a half-tame animal will always be more aggressive because it's not shy around people."

One local resident said he managed to trap one of the black foxes, but reported that it became so angry that it collapsed and died.

Local rancher Anne Grethe Furrevik of Solund in Sogn said observations of the black fox indicate it's like the otter, and will kill for the sake of killing. "The black fox will clearly be dangerous for our lambs this summer," she said.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Panthera leo atrox

• MoonFox

• VampChilde18

• Fairie

yeah i was going to say, i've never seen a black fox or even a picture of one, so has anyone got a photo of a black fox?, i'm just curious to know if one has ever been photographed or caught...

Edited by mr_halo

If it winds up dead on railroad tracks or otherwise prominently displayed in an almost too tidy fashion, and the harassment stops, something is up...

It sounds a bit like the old Black Dog legends to me, either way, all foxes are creepy, why do they have to bark like that? One woke me up the other night and I thought someone was being beaten in my front garden.

Tame foxes?

The red fox does have a black color phase.

post-9-1091807116.jpg

yes, but it said it was larger than a normal fox, which leads me to believe that it may be a wolf wandering into the area, one of the black wolves...and, no pictures exist, and evryone's known of it for 3 years? that seems odd to me...sounds real, but the story doesnt seem to be rite...idk...

post-9-1091807681.jpg

Edited by tendo

I thought wolves were extinct in the wild in Europe...

Hmm.. maybe there's still pockets of wild wolves left.

Perhaps one or more foxy looking black dogs?

A shiba inu, if unusually black, may look like a big black fox.

post-9-1091809180.jpg

Nope, they're extinct in England and most of western europe, but they're still around in the east and, I think, in Scandanavia.

Nope, they're extinct in England and most of western europe, but they're still around in the east and, I think, in Scandanavia.

Odd.. I remember reading somewhere that a man in Germany shot and killed the last known femal wolf in the wilds.

Well that's good to know then! keeping preditory animals is good.

I was under the impression that all Canis genus could mix and reproduce. Dogs are Canis familiaris, (also calledCanis Domesticus) and foxes are Canis vulpesTherefore you would think they could mate. But im not a science genious, so I'm not completely sure. I just happen to know the Latin names for some of the Canis Genus, such as Canis lupis or wolves.

Nope. The dog is Canis familiaris, but the red fox is Vulpes vulpes. Different Genera.

Nope. The dog is Canis familiaris, but the red fox is Vulpes vulpes. Different Genera.

whoops your right, i just looked it up. Thanx, Sorry bout the missinformation guys. Someone slap me please.

Perhaps one or more foxy looking black dogs?

A shiba inu, if unusually black, may look like a big black fox.

Shiba Inus do not come in solid black. I am a shiba owner and enthusiast of the breed for years now. I go to shows, communicate with breeders, etc.

So yup I am a Shiba nut lol.

Shibas come in a 'black and tan' coat. But not solid black- ever.

The black & Tan will be dominantly black, but will have tan on the snout, cheeks, near eyes, chest, feet/legs, and underside of the tail. The breed is generally also not that much bigger than a fox.

Red foxes come in black. It is rare, though not that rare. It's just considered 'silver' and can range from light silvery grey to solid black in color. they're very beautiful & mysterious looking though. I love silver foxes.

It could have also been a coyote. They, though rare, come in black. They have a fox-ish appearance but noticeably larger.

By "unusually black", I mean that perhaps an individual dog could display an abnormal amount of black, be melanistic, or perhaps be a mixed breed with strong and noticable shiba inu traits.

Coyotes are not native to Norway, though I suppose one could have escaped.

Edited by Panthera leo atrox

Maybe they cross bred with Chupacabras?

well, have these 'black foxes' actually done anything to harm anyone or anything, and werent threatened at the time? maybe theyre just afraid cuz its new and they dont know about it. it may be as harmless as the other animals they have there...

I think that these animals, like red foxes often do, are displaying surplus killing behavior. That will make them very despised among the locals.

i'm just curious to know if one has ever been photographed or caught...

well i doubt it, like most cyptoids, they tend to not get cought

Foxes are harmless to humans if you don't give them reason to defend themselves.

Chickens aren't too safe though, but it's up to the farmers to get good fencing that keeps foxes out. Foxes have to eat too, so they aren't killing chickens to be bloodthirsty murderes, it's just convenient food for a hungry predator.

Here's a black fox (they're actually 'red foxes' but they come in black or silver sometimes). they're uncommon, but not all that rare where there isn;t too many of them. I saw one at a zoo for injured animals a few weeks back. I also know someone who has one as a pet that they rescued from an auction. They are also (unfortunately) popular for coats crying.gif But yea here's a black fox. They exist, they get photographed, they aren't cryptids!:

user posted image

Edited by MoonFox