Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama drops Social Security reforms

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Washingffton Post said:

WASHINGTON — The White House says President Barack Obama’s upcoming budget proposal will not include his past offer to accept lowered cost-of-living increases in Social Security and other benefit programs. Those had been a central component of his long-term debt-reduction strategy.

Officials said Thursday that those potential reductions in spending, included in last year’s Obama budget, had been designed to initiate negotiations with Republicans over how to reduce future deficits and the nation’s debt. But Republicans never accepted Obama’s calls for higher tax revenue to go along with the cuts.

One official said the offer would remain on the table in the event of new budget talks but that it would not be part of the president’s formal spending blueprint for fiscal 2015.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

it can't be good, or is it?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 February 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

it can't be good, or is it?

depends, are you about to retire?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 20 February 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

depends, are you about to retire?

yea, definatly not good.

i wont retire for another 25 years at least, that is if they don't change retirement age by than.

so i'm paying ss tax, but i may not ever see a penny of it when my time comes

Edited by aztek, 20 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I feel like by the time im at retirement age I wont see any of my SS.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

I feel like by the time im at retirement age I wont see any of my SS.

Oh sure you will, you just are going to be surprised that at the end of the money there is so much month left.

about me

#7    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 20 February 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Oh sure you will, you just are going to be surprised that at the end of the money there is so much month left.

1. as the economy recovers, that's certain to change the projections (to be further out)
2. it's still quite a ways in the future

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#8    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

View Postninjadude, on 21 February 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

2. it's still quite a ways in the future

So is my retirement dude. Your old ass don't have to worry.

Edited by F3SS, 21 February 2014 - 01:20 AM.

Posted Image

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,863 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

There is no trust fund.

There's a slush fund.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#10    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostYamato, on 21 February 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

There is no trust fund.

There's a slush fund.

And by that I'm sure you mean there'll only be enough money to walk down to the store and get a slurpee.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#11    Big Jim

Big Jim

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

I definitely have mixed feelings on this topic.  Politically I tend to lean toward the conservative side.  Not necessarily Republican but I find myself in agreement with them more often than with the Liberals.  There seems to be very little fiscal management being done lately, with both sides more interested in scoring political points with their fans than in implementing financially sound decisions for the benefit of all.  But as an older guy on SSDI I also have my own budget to manage and can hardly imagine having to fall farther behind inflation than I already am.  Some will say that I should have planned better but no one plans on becoming disabled and a late-life divorce and job loss erased everything I had saved on my own.  So when I see articles like this I am fundamentally against anything that drives the country deeper in debt, but when I see my limited means being stretched thinner every month I look forward to the end of year stipend that lets me almost keep up.  I don't know the answer but I try to vote for people that might.  If we would start making things in this country again there would be more employed people paying taxes and that would make a lot of national budget decisions less painful.  But the same people who can't balance a budget seem to be very handy at doing everything possible to limit using our natural resources for the betterment of the country.  Real wealth comes from using what you have to make products that generate income.  As a nation we have a lot but we've lost the will to use it.  Maybe if our politicians would concentrate more on enabling people to work they wouldn't have to worry so much about how to enable people to live.

#12    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostYamato, on 21 February 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

There is no trust fund.

There's a slush fund.

Yeah the thing that bothers me about social security is that we pay the government social security tax and the government turns around and borrows money from the fund. (which we pay back with interest with more tax money)
Sixteen percent of the national debt is money the government has borrowed from social security and hasn't paid back yet.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Of course he did.  2014 is going to be iffy for Democrats with the Obamacare debacle - can't add a bunch of p***ed off seniors into the mix as well.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users