Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sleep problems to hit Mars crews

mars astronauts health

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,950 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Sleep problems could jeopardise future missions to Mars

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Some of the first results from a simulation of a mission to Mars show that some of the crew experienced isolation and mild depression.

Research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests differences in the sleep patterns of the crew caused problems.

The findings suggest that not all current astronauts will be suited to interplanetary travel.

The Mars500 project investigated how crews would cope on a real mission.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Isolation and depression on a planet months away from Earth and their families, from cable Tv and fresh air...not surprised.

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#3    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

This is quite the interesting topic ,Would be nice to follow this research in depth ,Is there an Online viewing of this anywhere ? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,950 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 07 January 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Is there an Online viewing of this anywhere ? :tu:
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here? An online viewing of what, the Mars500 project? If so then no, because the 500 day "mission" has already ended. Now the finding are being published.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I thought they were already looking into how they could possibily use the lighting technology of this new dreamliner jet. So a more appropriate cycle is influenced.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,950 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostRender, on 08 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I thought they were already looking into how they could possibily use the lighting technology of this new dreamliner jet. So a more appropriate cycle is influenced.
Yes, but that is for use on the ISS where some of the problems are similar to an airliner, constant noise for example. That study has only just started so no ones knows if it will work yet.

If the problems with sleep on a simulated Mars mission have a different root cause and/or are more severe there is no guarantee that what works on a long haul flight or on the ISS will work on a real Mars mission.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,255 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I wonder if they are on "watches" ,like 4 hrs on 8 hrs off, to look after the instruments and well being of the craft. Maybe they should choose people who are comfortable being on their own for long periods, instead of people with half their minds on the work and the other half worrying about those they left behind.I think on a venture this huge you would need total concentration on what is going on around you.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 07 January 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here? An online viewing of what, the Mars500 project? If so then no, because the 500 day "mission" has already ended. Now the finding are being published.
But What about the Mars group thats recruiting in the News this week ? I wonder what there M.O is ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,950 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 09 January 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

But What about the Mars group thats recruiting in the News this week ? I wonder what there M.O is ?

I think that's the Mars One group. These are the people that want to send colonists on a one way trip to Mars in 2023. (It ain't gonna happen imo).

Their web site is HERE.

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

tough job

#11    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

That would be tough as hell. Not getting enough sleep and your body out of sync with everyone else.

#12    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Riveting tale.

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

The problem is that there were no movies or fine vodka on-board.
Um.... or women.  :su

#14    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I wonder if they are on "watches" ,like 4 hrs on 8 hrs off, to look after the instruments and well being of the craft. Maybe they should choose people who are comfortable being on their own for long periods, instead of people with half their minds on the work and the other half worrying about those they left behind.I think on a venture this huge you would need total concentration on what is going on around you.
Yeah I would assume that they could get someone that had very little family or maybe not even a family of there own meaning people that didnt have kids or a wife

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,950 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 09 January 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Yeah I would assume that they could get someone that had very little family or maybe not even a family of there own meaning people that didnt have kids or a wife
Why? If you look at the history of exploration then you will see that explorers have more often than not been family men. There is a school of thought that says that explorers with family are less likely to be reckless as they won't to come home alive.

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with mars, astronauts, health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users