Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Should all endangered species be preserved?

endangered species preserved

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I agree with most of these comments,well played U.M community...well played..

#17    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

And then, the question that should be posed is, "Do we have the right to determine what species lives, and what species dies?". We do not own this planet - we inhabit it. There is a difference.

#18    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

who are we to  say what other animal has a right to exist or not. They are part of the ecosystem and have reasons for being here even if we do not like some of those reasons. As another poster stated we do not own this planet, we inhabit it. Dr. Chan is grasping at straws using examples just to prove HER point of view. We are the reason behind many loses of animals in the eco system and we will end up like the dinosaurs if we are not careful. We have no clue to the interconnection of species on this planet, and if we mess with one we change the system.

#19    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

The porcupine has no purpose whatsoever. On the other hand Pygmies have a right and yet are about to become extinct during this generation. The northern timber wolf went extinct in the early 70's It was a brown and black short wire haired beast with a stature nearly about waist high. The Northern black panther may still exist but no sightings has been reported since the early 70's

Edited by cerberusxp, 12 September 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#20    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postcerberusxp, on 12 September 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

The porcupine has no purpose whatsoever. On the other hand Pygmies have a right and yet are about to become extinct during this generation.
Humans don't really demonstrate any more observable "purpose" than porcupines. We all just need to stay alive long enough to replicate our DNA- when that goal can't be met, we go extinct.

#21    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

All pigeons must die!

#22    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

All species deserve the right to not be driven to extinction by the human race.

That's what's really being said, Idiot Scientist Sarah Chan.

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,967 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 12 September 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

And then, the question that should be posed is, "Do we have the right to determine what species lives, and what species dies?". We do not own this planet - we inhabit it. There is a difference.
I'd say yes. We do have that right. By right of being the most intellegent (debatable) and technologically advanced. Someone has to make these decisions. Also morally and religiously we have the right and obligation to manage and help/control everything in this world.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#24    Leffe Fagerstam

Leffe Fagerstam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

No! Scrap-monkeys! They need to go NOW! I see them rolling around all day in dumpsters, they filth! And dangerous in society...

#25    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 September 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'd say yes. We do have that right. By right of being the most intellegent (debatable) and technologically advanced. Someone has to make these decisions. Also morally and religiously we have the right and obligation to manage and help/control everything in this world.
Just because we are more intelligent, and technologically advanced, that doesn't give us the right to initialize the eradication of varying species. Using your logic, an extraterrestrial civilization has the right to come and take this planet, simply because they are more intelligent, and technologically capable of doing so.

In the grand scheme of things, we are as equally useless as the porcupine, the cockroach, the butterfly, the sloth, etc.

#26    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

yes we should save them ! well said mr alienated being i agree ..

#27    mrknownothing

mrknownothing

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Why do we keep making medicine, then? Don't the things we kill with those have an equal right to exist? If we get cancer, those are living cells, why try and kill them? Black mold gets in your house, why should you have the right to try and kill it and get it out. Thatís its habitat so you should get out. Iím not for intentionally kill off any species but wouldnít really go through much to save one either. Species have been going extinct for millions of years without us doing anything and theyíll keep going extinct for millions of years after weíre on that extinction list. Iím all for common sense solutions to try and live in harmony with the world, but Iím not for hurting mankind to do it. Stories like the ones below make me sick. We have starving people in this country, food prices are skyrocketing, farmers are going broke but we canít do anything because some wackoís care more about a tiny frigging fish. Itís a shame.

Old but relevant: http://www.usatoday....alifornia_N.htm

http://www.huffingto..._n_1871414.html

$109,000 to move a plant?!?! http://articles.cnn....wenty-manzanita

Try to placate the environmentalist by using solar energy and what do you get? http://solar.calfind...vance-of-solar/

Just use common sense, thatís all. If you were the last man on earth and there was another hungry animal I promise that humans would be extinct very quickly. ďBut weíre better then they are!Ē Well thatís odd because when it suits the argument weíre just another animal inhabiting this plant. I donít know, thereís no argument that will change most peoples mind (mine included) so why did I just waste all this time. Time to go to Four Star for a BLT sub, sorry I had to kill you little piggy, but you taste sooooooo good!

#28    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

A lot of animals will die out and others will appear its called natural selection as long as man does not interfere [he does] and speed up the process, and also leave the flora & fauna alone, yes we should replace the flora & fauna in places where we destroyed it then just leave it alone.

#29    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,967 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 September 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Just because we are more intelligent, and technologically advanced, that doesn't give us the right to initialize the eradication of varying species. Using your logic, an extraterrestrial civilization has the right to come and take this planet, simply because they are more intelligent, and technologically capable of doing so.

In the grand scheme of things, we are as equally useless as the porcupine, the cockroach, the butterfly, the sloth, etc.
I'd disagree that we do not have the right to eradicate a species. If there is a creature that clearly endangers humans, it is those humans right to defend themselves.

And what I really meant anyway is that we have the right to control animals.... all of them. Almost every single animals exists on human sufferance and most of their populations are tightly controlled. If too many bears are living in Tennessee, something will be done about them. If there are too many elk, or mountain goat, or moose, then hunting is encouraged. We control almost all animal populations. And that naturally would include those that are going extinct. They very likely would go extinct anyway without human aid, whether in 10 years, or 10,000. Both 10 years or 10,000 is a evolutionary blink of an eye.

Do you think that one species of butterfly that exists in only one meadow and eats off only one plant would survive for 10,000 years? Would that plant exist only in that meadow for 10,000 years? Not naturally. If it does it is at human sufferance.

Some species are simply going to die out and Science recognizes this and we should let those species go extinct. Others that are fully viable, yet were almost wiped out by man, should be encouraged to be reestablished, as they were damaged only by man, and not nature. Yet, even those that are reintroduced and working toward recovery, like the Bison, are tightly controlled and are totally at our (humans) mercy at all times.

Not all species need/must be protected. Many are a waste of time/effort. Collect... Record... Allow to pass away.

Edited by DieChecker, 13 September 2012 - 03:33 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#30    3.0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Any animal that exists in nature, has a right to TRY to exist;  simply because it exists.  But, in nature there is competition ... which includes man.  All nature is in a struggle to survive (try to exist), and some succeed better than others.  We have a responsibility as the intelligent species to manage nature so that animals can try to exist.

Also tagged with endangered, species, preserved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users