Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think this is ?

FenderJazzBass

http://imgur.com/a/MZKeC Series of pictures i took this afternoon. I reported it to MUFON a few minutes ago.

I noticed the object going south on Bienville at about Royal street. It was hovering and moving very slowly at about 25 degrees above the horizon 2:30 pm afternoon. It was moving slowly and glinting and look unusual.

As i walked toward the levee the object moved farther away. When i got to the levee it was gone. The pictures i took were taken as i stopped walking trying to get a closer look.

I've tried uploading the images but it says they are too large. Check the imgur album.

Zsu3Sh.jpg

mzQONh.jpg

WbXeMh.jpg

e9J7Qh.jpg

zk5ewh.jpg

cYCh9h.jpg

grbkzh.jpg

post-131463-0-34527500-1351976433_thumb.

post-131463-0-66858700-1351976438_thumb.

Edited by FenderJazzBass

It kind of looks like one of those aircraft used to fly in very high altitudes for weather surveillance or some other type of military craft.

It kind of looks like one of those aircraft used to fly in very high altitudes for weather surveillance or some other type of military craft.

I'm ex military born and raised on bases and never saw something like this. It hovered for a few minutes and then disappeared as i got closer to it. It didnt fly away like a plane would.

5600403871_01654d4e4e_z.jpg
  • Like 1

Looks like a mylar balloon to me.

I'm ex military born and raised on bases and never saw something like this. It hovered for a few minutes and then disappeared as i got closer to it. It didnt fly away like a plane would.

I don't mean to be rude but just because you were "raised" in the military doesn't mean you are going to know about all the crafts they have. Things have a habit if changing almost overnight and much of it we'll never really know about.

Sorry but it still looks like some sort of human-made aircraft to me.

By the way, were the photos taken in Texas or somewhere near there? Just wondering as street names don't mean much to me.

my first guess was an inflatable panda

but seriously it looks like a mylar balloon or a kite of some sort

I do see what looks to be wings and engines on it, but it's hard to tell its actual size and distance from the camera. How fast was it moving?

• Like 1

I do see what looks to be wings and engines on it, but it's hard to tell its actual size and distance from the camera. How fast was it moving?

When i first noticed it, it was moving very slowly, hovering almost stationary.

As I walked/ ran towards it, along the street (toward the levee) it seemed to get smaller. A few minutes later, i was on the levee where i could have seen it clearly, but it had vanished completely. I did noticed it seem to get smaller as i approached the levee.

G8p3d.jpg

It seemed to be turning over or wobbling slowly but was overall stationary. It started to disapear as i approached the clearing. I state being born and raised on airforce bases just to let you know, i have vast amounts of experience with planes. I can tell the difference between a balloon and a plane. I can also tell if there are navigation lights etc. This object didnt have any lights.

It wasnt windy. So if it was a baloon, it should have still been there when i reached the levee. Why did it disappear like it did as i approached the clearing to get a better look at it ?

It wasnt windy. So if it was a baloon, it should have still been there when i reached the levee. Why did it disappear like it did as i approached the clearing to get a better look at it ?

Air currents move differently at different elevations. Just because it didn't feel windy where you stood on the ground does not mean that there couldn't have been a breeze up where the balloon was.

Your description of its 'wobbling' and 'turning over' motion confirms the balloon conclusion as far as I'm concerned.

Good to see you again Fender. :)

• Like 1

Your description of its 'wobbling' and 'turning over' motion confirms the balloon conclusion as far as I'm concerned.

A balloon certainly can't be ruled out based on the behavior displayed. Was there anything else you can think of Fender, that might set this object apart from a balloon?

I wish you had gotten a video . I'm sure how it was moving ,would be much more telling .

To me ,it does look like a silver balloon in the photos ,but I've never seen one shaped that way before ,so I'd love to see it in motion ,to get a better feel for it.

Air currents move differently at different elevations. Just because it didn't feel windy where you stood on the ground does not mean that there couldn't have been a breeze up where the balloon was.

Good to see you again Fender. :)

From my perspective, it was moving under its own controll.

I have been scanning the skies every day and night and am used to how things look normally. This was very out of the ordinary. When i first spotted it, the object looked like it was over the river (1/2 to 1 mile away.) It moved in a flat circle then quickly vanished, going directly away from me.

The whole thing was not normal. anyway. The pictures deserve further a further look. I'm telling ya, it was really wierd, not like a balloon. I see baloons here all the time. sorry for my spelling.

Edited by FenderJazzBass

Looks an awful lot like a balloon to me.

Edit:

Silver mylar balloons come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Google image search.

Or several balloons bunched together.

Possibly ones from Halloween.

• Like 1

A balloon certainly can't be ruled out based on the behavior displayed. Was there anything else you can think of Fender, that might set this object apart from a balloon?

It was too big to be a balloon and it moved with controll. It looked like it was under its own controll & was odd how it hovered in my camera view, but when i ran to get a better view, it vanished.

Or several balloons bunched together.

Possibly ones from Halloween.

It moved from one place to the other, stopping then reversing direction. It did have a wobble or is was spinning slowly. It seemed to change shape. I did not think it was a balloon. When i got closer it seemed to move away from me. It didnt go east or west. It went away from me, so it appeared as tho it was getting smaller.

So at first, it moved back and forth slowly over the river. As i emerged from the buildings for a better view, the unknown object moved away from me getting smaller, then vanished in the distance.

It moved from one place to the other, stopping then reversing direction. It did have a wobble or is was spinning slowly. It seemed to change shape. I did not think it was a balloon. When i got closer it seemed to move away from me. It didnt go east or west. It went away from me, so it appeared as tho it was getting smaller.

So at first, it moved back and forth slowly over the river. As i emerged from the buildings for a better view, the unknown object moved away from me getting smaller, then vanished in the distance.

I've seen something as simple as a piece of paper or plastic bag (or a balloon) move like you describe.

How come no one ever has a good telephoto lens for shots like these. I never see anything strange in the sky when I have my 400mm lens with me....

From my perspective, it was moving under its own controll.

I have been scanning the skies every day and night and am used to how things look normally. This was very out of the ordinary. When i first spotted it, the object looked like it was over the river (1/2 to 1 mile away.) It moved in a flat circle then quickly vanished, going directly away from me.

The whole thing was not normal. anyway. The pictures deserve further a further look. I'm telling ya, it was really wierd, not like a balloon. I see baloons here all the time. sorry for my spelling.

It was "wobbling" and "turning over" but you had the impression that it was moving under its own control?

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be like that in a couple of hours... :blush: ...but that hardly seems like the behavior of an aerial vehicle to me. What it seems like is a balloon.

What exactly about it makes you think that it wasn't a balloon? You've stated that it was too large... okay, how do you know what size it was? Why couldn't it have been a large balloon? Or perhaps a cluster of balloons tied together as suggested by Euphorbia?

I understand your keen interest in sightings and UFOs at this point after your previous experience, but I have to be honest with you Fender. Right now it seems like you're seeing what you want to see instead of objectively assessing what was actually there.

• Like 1

I zoomed in with it on my phone and good grief is it hard to tell what it is. But when you say it just disappeared is what's confusing to me, I believe you saw what you saw but I'm stumped

• Like 1

I've enhanced the colors and played with some filters in GIMP to see if anything else is revealed. I'm telling you, it was the size of a small plane when i first saw it. It didnt' look like a balloon to me. I see many balloons where i live and this didnt look like or move like it. Either believe me or not, i wouldnt waste your time talking about a ballon. Anyway, It moved from one side of the street to the other wobbling. I understand that balloons also wobble but this was different. Trust me. This was not a normal flying object. It was big the size of a small plane and got smaller as i came out of the buildings and up on to the levee for s better view. anyway, i'ev done my job. Made the report. The truth is out there and its more fantastic than i could ever imagine.

dsB8k.jpg

MwjFn.jpg

pDR6R.jpg

VPJVa.jpg

dJGwsh.jpg

FFXQN.jpg