Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lonely 'homeless' planet found

Still Waters

A young “homeless planet”, up to seven times the size of Jupiter and with no gravitational ties, has been spotted by scientists for the very first time.

The lonely planet, called CFBDSIR2149 at the moment, is deemed “homeless” as it does not orbit a star.

It is the first isolated planet of its kind ever to be discovered by scientists, after more than a decade of searching in a process described as “looking for a single needle in amongst thousands of haystacks."

http://www.telegraph...first-time.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20309762

Edited by Still Waters
Additional source link added
  • Like 2

The article points out something I was wondering about; is it a planet from a system (star, other planets, etc) or is it a brown dwarf, developed on it's own but didn't have sufficient mass for them to 'ignite' per-say?

Maybe it was thrown out of orbit. Something flying along through the galaxy looking for a nice star to attract it and smack some little planet out of existence. hehehe...

That's what else I suggested, that would probably make it a planet, since it formed in a system, around a star and then was thrown out. But if it just coalesced out of a small 'cloud' I suppose you could say, out on it's lonesome and became this 'tiny' guy in comparison to stars, would that make it a planet or a brown dwarf?

I guess they are going to have to decide on that at the next astronomers convention.

Maybe it will fly into orbit around a star some time.

They should monitor it and maybe the'll witness a star adopting a homeless planet.

• Like 3

But it doesn't orbit a star.

admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap-return-of-the-jedi.jpg

Maybe it's a Dyson Sphere and it is actually a structure encompasing and small star and some highly advance aliens live on the inside surface. Who knows could be a gaint death star on it's way to blow us up. :)

Either way it's pretty interesting

• Like 4

*snip* image removed

Maybe it's a Dyson Sphere and it is actually a structure encompasing and small star and some highly advance aliens live on the inside surface. Who knows could be a gaint death star on it's way to blow us up. :)

Either way it's pretty interesting

That's no planet, its a space-station... ;)

• Like 2

it seems every week there making new discoveries, Its a great time to be alive. very interesting thanks for posting.

Ok then, how did this planet form? Since we learned from the theory of smack and form that that's how the moon was formed. How does that apply to a planet like this?

That's what else I suggested, that would probably make it a planet, since it formed in a system, around a star and then was thrown out. But if it just coalesced out of a small 'cloud' I suppose you could say, out on it's lonesome and became this 'tiny' guy in comparison to stars, would that make it a planet or a brown dwarf?

I guess that is all dependant on how it formed. I think that its surface temp is what determines whether or not its a star or planet.

So 100 light years is in "our neighborhood"? And whys it so hot without a star to warm it?

• Like 1

I am just waiting for some nut to come on and say it has to be the fabled "Nibiru" :whistle:

Planet X-

NIBIRU

"Planet of the Crossing", the invading planet that joined

our solar system to bring the seeds of life (DNA) with it.

Oops I guess I am the first nut job, , ha

Edited by Talion
  • Like 2

So 100 light years is in "our neighborhood"? And whys it so hot without a star to warm it?

That's what I was wondering.

Maybe it's super massive and the internal pressure is generating this heat, but not so massive as to become a star.

I think the article said something along those lines

They keep looking and looking, going farther and farther away. Eventually they're going to see something they don't want to see!

• Like 2

I am just waiting for some nut to come on and say it has to be the fabled "Nibiru" :whistle:

well if it is, it had better get its skates on, we are not far from 2013.

This planet was going to be a star but did not grow massive enough to fuse hydrogen into helium. They call these brown dwarfs they are just a big gas giant really.

NIIBIIIRRUUU!!! No... just a planet who may have been lost... oh well.