Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wal-Mart to Hire 100,000 Veterans

acidhead

Walmart to Hire 100,000 Veterans

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/15/news/companies/walmart-veterans/index.html

Jan. 16, 2013

Walmart said Tuesday that, over the next five years, it will hire every veteran who honorably left the military in the last year.

More than 100,000 people are expected to find work through the program, making it one of the largest hiring commitments for veterans on record, the nation's largest retailer said.

In recent years, finding any work, let alone good jobs, has been a struggle for veterans. The unemployment rate for veterans serving in recent wars has fallen some, but remained at a doggedly high 10.8% in December. That's still well above the 7.5% rate for nonveterans.

"Too many of those who fought for us abroad now find themselves fighting for jobs at home," Bill Simon, president and CEO of Wal-Mart U.S. said in a speech Tuesday.

continued...

Not surprised in the least about this announcement. The globalists initiates the violence and starts the wars. It's only fitting that they offer employment to those suckered.

• Like 1

And all the normall people trying to find jobs? This is not fair - Yes im sure they did a great deal for there country when in the Army - BUT THAT WAS THERE JOB!! You join the Army your job is to do what the man at the top wants..... why does that make your more special than the others?

Good on schemes like this, but lets no discriminate.

• Like 1

I think its great they will hire veterans but I wonder if they are going to fire those workers that dared to strike or complain about working conditions and replace them with veterans.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 3

I think its great they will hire veterans but I wonder if they are going to fire those workers that dared to strike or complain about working conditions and replace them with veterans.

It's possible that the majority of those 100 000 jobs will be over seas - in China!.... lol.... just kidding.

You raise a good point.... Is Wal Mart about to announce building a 100 new stores across america? Or are they planning on firing existing work force and replacing them with those who served the globalists wars and occupations?

This is getting so messed.

And all the normall people trying to find jobs? This is not fair - Yes im sure they did a great deal for there country when in the Army - BUT THAT WAS THERE JOB!! You join the Army your job is to do what the man at the top wants..... why does that make your more special than the others?

Good on schemes like this, but lets no discriminate.

Many, if not most of these vets will bring a level of discipline and knowledge to their job that is lacking from a civilian labor force. Like it or not, military training is some of the best around. I think it is an excellent idea and I applaud Walmart for it. I just wish they would pay a living wage to everyone they employ.
  • Like 1

Many, if not most of these vets will bring a level of discipline and knowledge to their job that is lacking from a civilian labor force. Like it or not, military training is some of the best around. I think it is an excellent idea and I applaud Walmart for it. I just wish they would pay a living wage to everyone they employ.

Its walmart - How much knowledge would they bring?

Jokes aside. I see what your saying - But I still beleive there shouldnt be discrimination.

• Like 2

What are these vets going to do? Yell at the workers when they don't get their own way? Perhaps that is how it works in the military and gets results because the chain of command is respected or else you're out. But in the real world of economics the best results come from offering incentives to individuals. This is why the private sector is always the engine of any free market economy.

It's possible that the majority of those 100 000 jobs will be over seas - in China!.... lol.... just kidding.

That made me chuckle lol

Anyway..Who knows? I would like to think they wouldn't drop so many of their workers to do this, it wouldn't be right..But the idea of giving all those vets a chance to work is really nice...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I applaud them too but.... But wishing they would isn't the same as wether they could. I had an extensive Walmart debate here around thanksgiving and all the math I could come up with suggests that if they would give every employee a raise the absolute most they could afford is possibly as high as $1 per hour per employee while still having working capital but also would cut profits and big wig pays significantly and be able to provide the prices and business model they do. I even found articles written by admitted leftists that came up with the same results. Here it is, see posts 48&49 or read the whole thread if you like... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238122&st=45

Its walmart - How much knowledge would they bring?

Jokes aside. I see what your saying - But I still beleive there shouldnt be discrimination.

I'm not sure discrimination is the right word. We really don't know how they plan to do this. And about firing others to make room, maybe not. Walmart and SAMs club employ 2M worldwide. Anyone know what their employee turnover rate is? Fired/quit/new hires per year. Plus, did they say 100,000 this year or in time?

No, I didn't read the article but from what I'm gathering either no one else did or those facts aren't stated within.

Are they going to teach these veterans how to get food stamps and welfare like all their other employees? Just checking.

Walmart is a GREEDY Un-American company if you ask me. Costco manages to pay their employees extremely well, gives them great benefits and they still make huge profits hand over fist. So clearly, a successful, profitable and most importantly ETHICAL company can be run with great profits and great value for their customers and employees. Costco will ALWAYS get my business. Walmart.. NEVER. (oh, and Costco's CEO's salary is ony $250K a year)

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 4

Are they going to teach these veterans how to get food stamps and welfare like all their other employees? Just checking.

Walmart is a GREEDY Un-American company if you ask me. Costco manages to pay their employees extremely well, gives them great benefits and they still make huge profits hand over fist. So clearly, a successful, profitable and most importantly ETHICAL company can be run with great profits and great value for their customers and employees. Costco will ALWAYS get my business. Walmart.. NEVER.

Costcos average demographic makes $75k per year. Walmarts average customer is $30-$35 or less. Costco is more expensive. Walmart exists to save people money. Seriously, click the forum link I posted above. It's not about what I say. There are several articles that I pasted the entire articles right in the page that explain why Walmart is the way it is and how they save consumers around $200B a year vs if everyone shopped at Costco or elsewhere.

I make well under $75K a year... You couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. And frankly, when I'm price shopping... Walmart generally isn't that much less expensive to be honest! Sure, I can get a crappy towel at Walmart for $4, and it'll last me 4 washings before it starts to fall apart. Or, I can spend $15 on a better quality towel at Costco, and it'll last years. The Costco deal is the better money saving deal. If I need to buy something name brand like a TV or an iPod I can find those at other stores on special for a lot less than Walmart in a lot of cases (in fact, I did just buy a TV last month... the one I bought was $230 more at Walmart than what I spent at a small local AV store: I checked).

I shop around because I'm not wallowing in money. I've never found Walmart to be any kind of savings decent enough to actually give my money to them.

• Like 4

I make well under $75K a year... You couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. And frankly, when I'm price shopping... Walmart generally isn't that much less expensive to be honest! Sure, I can get a crappy towel at Walmart for $4, and it'll last me 4 washings before it starts to fall apart. Or, I can spend $15 on a better quality towel at Costco, and it'll last years. The Costco deal is the better money saving deal. If I need to buy something name brand like a TV or an iPod I can find those at other stores on special for a lot less than Walmart in a lot of cases (in fact, I did just buy a TV last month... the one I bought was $230 more at Walmart than what I spent at a small local AV store: I checked).

I shop around because I'm not wallowing in money. I've never found Walmart to be any kind of savings decent enough to actually give my money to them.

It's the average demographic. You+everybody else/how ever many people that is=$75k

$15 towels also equals more money to pay employees more. $4 towels don't. You really can't compare the two stores. They're two different business models and one would cease to exist as it is if it mimicked the other.

Sounds to me like you just plain hate it. I never used to be a fan but I got one a minute away and when it comes to food they certainly are cheaper. Appliances not so much. Towels, ehh not always $4 but I'll jump on them if they are. They're just freaking towels and I really have bought quite a few there and they've all lasted years. Put it this way. I don't go there all the time but I don't go out of my way to avoid it. I bet you'd go there if the deal was right. Seems like you do enough price checking with Walmart. I don't bother checking prices of stores I know I'm not going to go to.

I will price check stores I'm not going to... On the very slimmest chance there is a bargin there on something I've planned to buy that I cannot resist. Never found one of those those bargins at Walmart though. They just aren't that well priced for one. Sure I might find some of their loss leader junk I don't need to buy... but generally speaking I don't buy junk I don't need. I save up my money for better quality stuff I know won't fall apart inside a few months. Doing so is a cost savings.

Costco spent more to buy those significantly higher quality towels... Costco made a few extra bucks on them than Walmart did, but Costco chose to benefit and pay their employees well... do you think Walmart would take the extra and pay their employees better if they had high quality towels? No, they woudn't.

Walmart's marketing is ingenius... put a giant box of $4 towels on the floor with a big colorful sign that says "SPECIAL! $4 Save Save Save!" and you have hoards of people buying $4 towels because they're $4. At Costco you have a giant table of $15 high quality towels by a national brand, and you have people buying $15 towels because they need towels.

Edited by MissMelsWell

I make well under $75K a year... You couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. And frankly, when I'm price shopping... Walmart generally isn't that much less expensive to be honest!

You have made a good point.. Walmart own ASDA .. And ASDA are forever on TV ( over here ) bantering about their - Roll Back price slogan.. Yet when I look at the price comparison on other major stores, they really do not jump out as the cheapest place to shop.. It's swings and roundabouts.. Meaning.. You can find so many products at ASDA ( Walmart ) that are cheap enough ( some dirt cheap and not worth it ) but you can go into their competitor like TESCO'S and find they have the same products only cheaper again.. It really depends on what you are out to get.. Sometimes ASDA is cheaper for some things but not all, they can be a lot more expensive than others for other items .. One thing they are great at is that Roll Back slogan constantly putting it into peoples heads that they are the only cheapest place to shop ..What they wont brag about is how a good number of their items are more expensive than most other places ..

I stick with Sainsburys myself. .I prefer their food brands more.. Each to their own

And without trying to sound like a snob, but I would not consider buying my clothes from ASDA either ( George ) I like clothing that is going to last and worth the money.. I may buy little Aaron some bibs and little romper suits for every day use, but that's it .. For everything else I would go elsewhere ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Yea man, part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits are exactly what our boys need. F walmart.

• Like 1

Costcos average demographic makes $75k per year. Walmarts average customer is $30-$35 or less. Costco is more expensive. Walmart exists to save people money. Seriously, click the forum link I posted above. It's not about what I say. There are several articles that I pasted the entire articles right in the page that explain why Walmart is the way it is and how they save consumers around $200B a year vs if everyone shopped at Costco or elsewhere.

Saving people money by using slave labor from china is not something to brag about.

• Like 2

Yea man, part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits are exactly what our boys need. F walmart.

Do they not offer veterans a pension? When I worked in B&Q ( like Lowes in the US ) We had a few working within the store.. They got their benefits and a pension scheme .. What they liked about it was getting out to work again and mixing with people..

Crappy working conditions, crappy pay, following and not questioning orders or else......should be a nice easy transition for most.

• Like 1

You raise a good point.... Is Wal Mart about to announce building a 100 new stores across america? Or are they planning on firing existing work force and replacing them with those who served the globalists wars and occupations?

This is getting so messed.

GreatmYou know I had a good life when I was in the millitary,I was a Marine snipper and could hit all my targets,Funny thing is I was never really good at anything else,"VERY SAD" I wonder what kind of job they would give someone like me,Im an OLD rusted piece of steal No one wants to hire me due to my advanced Diabeties,I could be dead in the next year or two but that dosent put food on the table,I Need a JOB but I cant see myself working for Wallmart,They discrimminate against women and Blacks,I cant see my self working for that kind of company,still if they hired me I can asure you the sporting good department would be always fully stocked with fishing gear,LOL Edited by The Unseen

I always thought that the Armed Forces were advertised as giving you "Real Skills" that transfer easily to the Civilan workforce...so why the Jobs push from Walmart??

You join the Armed Forces from choice or necessity, but you are paid and receive certain Vet benefits when you leave (not available to Civilians), so this sounds a bit like politicking, and not useful for the Civilians who have never joined the Armed Forces

• Like 1

The people laughing about janitors and ranting that somehow our lack of training is the problem should be insisting that these battle-tested soldiers experienced in high-stress combat should be providing security to our schools and movie theaters across the country before finding employment at Walmart. It just just goes to show, there's no market supply for this vaunted lack of training, one of the latest problems the gun controllers manufactured to slander the 2nd with.

Walmart volunteering to hire our veterans beats unemployment and welfare. Walmart has an image to repair; this is one way of doing it. The implication that the pay sucks and therefore this news should be discounted doesn't add up. The pay is commensurate to skill, as it should be. You're not going to get any highly skilled jobs at Walmart and so don't expect pay levels that high skill commands. These employees are semi-skilled at best, and they're paid accordingly. As they should be. It might be a fancier employer like Apple or Intel who did this, but what are these veterans trained to do at these companies? They don't have the technical skills to warrant hiring them. It's not a bad reflection on Intel anymore than this is a bad reflection on Walmart. It's supply and demand, with a caveat that Walmart is trying to give back to the communities it has steamrolled.

If the rationale for Walmart doing this is some implicit agreement with the policy, then I can agree with the contemptuous voices about this story. But if I can't even blame the veterans for fighting the wars, I'm not going to blame Walmart for hiring them. Yes the argument can be made that volunteering implies agreement with the policy, but I don't expect these kids to be so wise to the world that they're not going to be influenced by their parents who fly the flag and vote for Obama, or their peers who were raised by similar households. We shouldn't be so bitter that we train ourselves to stop caring about anyone who doesn't agree with our politics.

I hear that but it's better than nothing when something is needed. No one is going to force them to work there. The other offers they could make is they'll help a few people and give them a lot or help 100,000 people for less or no offer at all. One thing I feel about people in these arguments is that all of a sudden it becomes Walmarts responsibility to make sure the world is fair. Like the or not, it isn't.

Do they not offer veterans a pension? When I worked in B&Q ( like Lowes in the US ) We had a few working within the store.. They got their benefits and a pension scheme .. What they liked about it was getting out to work again and mixing with people..

Only the ones who retire or are medically seperated get pensions BM... Most of the vets they are talking about (I assume) are those who've spent one enlistment period (3 or 4 years) and then got out... And with the economy the way it is, few retiree's (civilian or military) can afford to turn their noses up at additional income...

I realize that many on the military were trained in skills that do not translate well to the civilian world (not a lot of call for an artilleryman on the 'outside' for example)... but quite a few of us did get useful skills (for me, electronics and computer systems)... For those that were not fortunate - or far sighted - enough to get "useful" training, this is not a bad deal... Though I would recommend they couple it with training at a vo-tech or college to be positioned to move into a more stable job...