Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Capital Punishment - For or against?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image
Legend

***** Abolished for all crimes

****** Abolished for all crimes except under exceptional/special circumstances (such as crimes committed in wartime)

****** Abolished in practice (under a moratorium or haven't used capital punishment in at least 10 years)

****** Retainers of the death penalty

There is more to read on this, including a full table of the countries who use capital punishment ( death penalty ) for various crimes .. You can see those listed in the table
Click here -> http://en.wikipedia....ment_by_country

I am interested in seeing how both religious and non religious feel towards the capital punishment... Is it totally wrong? OR is it acceptable depending on the crime?   ALSO - Should the death penalty never have existed?  If it should never have existed, why is that?   And on the other hand  - If it should have existed, why is that?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,896 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Acceptable to me.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,496 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Against.  Too many times innocent people have been killed, usually (black) minorities of course.  All Christians, of which I am one believe it or not, should be against the death penalty.

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

All Christians, of which I am one believe it or not, should be against the death penalty.

Why should all christians be against the death penalty?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,234 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

The only time I have a problem with the death penalty is when its given on circumstantial evidence.  There should be overwhelming evidence of the persons guilt of things like mass murder.  Take someone like Charles Manson I think he should of been put to death.

I consider myself religious but I don't go to church.

#6    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

For in cases like serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles.  I do not look at this as punishment, but protection for the rest of society.  How much more money would each country have if we did not have to pay to keep these people alive in prison?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,150 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Too risky, imo.  Execute just one person who happens to be innocent makes us the murderers.  (only my opinion, of course).

It does irk me though that there are killers and  rapists etc sittin on their fat erse in jail though.  I guess am just one the confused, clueless types who should never be on a jury.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,195 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

For myself, I'm against the death penalty handed down by a government court.

Curiously enough, I'm somewhat OK with, say, my shooting to kill someone molesting my daughters, or raping someone else, or a bad hostage situation, etc...

#9    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,050 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostHilander, on 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

The only time I have a problem with the death penalty is when its given on circumstantial evidence.  There should be overwhelming evidence of the persons guilt of things like mass murder.  Take someone like Charles Manson I think he should of been put to death.

View Postglorybebe, on 04 February 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

For in cases like serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles.  I do not look at this as punishment, but protection for the rest of society.  How much more money would each country have if we did not have to pay to keep these people alive in prison?
You both took the words right out of my mouth.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,250 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Life imprisonment is fine with me, even for capital crimes IF there is a guarantee that the sentence cannot be overturned later.  Having said that, I would also give such a criminal the option of a death sentence at any point during their incarceration.  Their choice.  This would be a merciful option for me if I were the one living out the rest of my days in what would be little more than a cage.   Some people deserve to die for their crimes according to the OT but since most of the ideas of crime and punishment from that era have changed, I think the idea of death for crime is up for review as well.  What I would NOT be okay with is ever letting anyone who takes a life in a premeditated fashion out of prison, ever.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,424 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I am kind of torn. It is not good for crime prevention, that has been shown studies, but some people can't live in society. They are a danger. IMO they are mentally ill for the most part.  If you do a capital crime you must be kind of off in the first place in most places that have it.  Some  counties are run by first class jerks who use it political or religious control  which is not right. They are the ones who should be up against the wall.  But in case of a mass murder, you can't turn them out on the street to kill again, so you end up warehousing them. Which can be as cruel as capital punishment.
Ok this is what I think. Genocidal despots, and mass murders, yes, political or religious crimes, no.

Edited by Darkwind, 04 February 2013 - 04:45 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,496 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Why should all christians be against the death penalty?
Ask yourself if Jesus would have been in favor of it and you have your answer.

#13    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,496 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostHilander, on 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I consider myself religious but I don't go to church.
Charles Manson didn't personally kill anybody and the people he ordered to kill had a choice.  He's right where he belongs rotting away in a living hell.

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 04 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

For myself, I'm against the death penalty handed down by a government court.

Curiously enough, I'm somewhat OK with, say, my shooting to kill someone molesting my daughters, or raping someone else, or a bad hostage situation, etc...

Interesting outlook you have there  -  It's not OK to have it legally done by law, but it is OK to illegally do it yourself...!

#15    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Ask yourself if Jesus would have been in favor of it and you have your answer.

That's interesting you should say that, as it was Jesus who faced the death penalty for you all.  It was gods plan ( apparently so ) .. IF there was never a death penalty, then  it wouldn't mean as much to you and the rest of the Christians if say - Jesus did some jail time instead for sins? I can just hear a priest say - "Be grateful to the lord, he did some porridge for your sins" ... ( doing porridge is slang for jail time )   Somehow, I don't think that would sound right..do you?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 February 2013 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users