Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What do you do to help the Earth?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

Recycle, reuse stuff, compost pile out back.  When hiking, I always bring along a trash bag and pick up every piece of trash I see.  I conserve water and electricity, support organic farming and drive only when necessary.  Most importantly, I am teaching my kids to do the same.

Embrace the impossible.

#17    zukie&jim

zukie&jim

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• nothing PC about a sidwinder exploding in a hot tail pipe !

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

i drive a small car, and try to conserve fuel . i also plant trees and conserve water. i also use florsent lights of around 25w which put out 100w worth= to a regular light .

#18    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

At the risk of being flippant on a serious subject - wait for the Ashen to arrive on Earth!

Not sure how many of you read or studied The Only Planet Of Choice, which was supposed to document the chanellings of supposed The Council of Nine by Phylis Schlemmer - a project that involved and was part funded by Gene Roddenberry?  According the the channeled info, Earth was 'designed' for a human population of 10,000 - that all went wrong because humans were given free will as part fo the experiment that is planet Earth.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#19    OneWithThePlanet

OneWithThePlanet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth.

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

Hi All this is my first Post grin2.gif , I help in many little ways, I recycle anything the recycle company takes, I plant only plants that are native to my area to save on water. I drive a little Metro blush.gif I buy used items only when possible. Got the local high school to recycle all their paper. Take nature walks and pic up trash. keep the eletric off the air turn down. I'm sure there is more put I kinda feel its a hopless battle crying.gif  I do believe Mother Earth will reclaim herself some day wink2.gif .

#20    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:04 AM

I don't recycle anything...it all winds up at the dump eventually anyway.  I don't try to do anything that is designed to help the Earth.  I think the Earth is just fine as it is...always has been..always will be.

However, sometimes, I drink Scotch Whiskey all night long and die behind the wheel....

....okay, not really (just have that song going through my head) huh.gif

Edited by joc, 29 July 2006 - 04:05 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#21    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

I once overheard an engineer talking to someone saying something along the lines of vaccum and pressure and whatnot and saying that's why you get better mileage when you keep a full tank opposed to running it on fumes.

I figured it woudn't Hurt, and it *might* help... so it's what I do.  Also, was chased around town by a PO'd girlfriend one time many years ago, she ran out of gas before I did.  That was the clincher for my then newfound habit of keeping a full tank. (and then, I get happy when prices change and I only have to fill up half a tank or quarter tank with the new higher prices instead of a full tank)

Never heard of fuel tank pressure being critical for the average fuel-injected road car.  Running with extra fuel in the tank adds to the vehicle's weight, which decreases its fuel efficiency.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#22    shun

shun

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

Some communities, like mine, have not approved city-wide recycling because of the cost.
However, there could come a time when they vent and recapture the methane at the local dumps. Methane burns very clean in power generation. It is one small step.

We have laws against open burning.

We run on technologies inspired by Richard Milhouse Nixon. He was insistant that the U.S.
have effecient everything, to offset oil shocks to the economy.

I also grit my teeth, whenever I buy merchandise. It happens when I see "Made Elsewhere" on the label. However, it turns into a mild grimace when I realize America pollutes less, if someone else makes our widgets. So, I spend, spend, spend.

#23    stacy274

stacy274

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

I drive a small economy car, recycle aluminum cans, dry my laundry out on the line. We just cleaned out about 1 1/2 acres on the property that had been used as a dump for about 50 years. We do not use alot of electricity, but that is mostly due to the fact that the house that I am in is still wired by 1930's standards . No lights during the day, no air conditioners w00t.gif . We use one "swamp" cooler, and a few fans. we really are not doing much..what we are doing is out of necessity. When we move I am sure we will have more modern conveniences. But I still want to go solar with the electricity someday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users