Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs

Still Waters

Few researchers have given credence to claims that samples of dinosaur DNA have survived to the present day, but no one knew just how long it would take for genetic material to fall apart. Now, a study of fossils found in New Zealand is laying the matter to rest — and putting paid to hopes of cloning a Tyrannosaurus rex.

After cell death, enzymes start to break down the bonds between the nucleotides that form the backbone of DNA, and micro-organisms speed the decay. In the long run, however, reactions with water are thought to be responsible for most bond degradation. Groundwater is almost ubiquitous, so DNA in buried bone samples should, in theory, degrade at a set rate.

http://www.nature.co...lf-life-1.11555

— and putting paid to hopes of cloning a Tyrannosaurus rex.

Like we needed another killer on our planet :rolleyes: Didn't they learn anything from the Jurassic Park films? :)

• Like 2

I hunt dinosaurs for a living, i can drop a t-rex with 2 shots of a .22, and no i wont tell you how I do it either, trick of the trade. B)

Didn't we already know this? Which is why that guy spoke about the choicken DNA and changing parts to create a dinosaur?

• Like 1

Like we needed another killer on our planet :rolleyes: Didn't they learn anything from the Jurassic Park films? :)

Lol.. It's a known thing that DNA can't be recovered from Dinosaurs. Just for example, even though if they did clone a prehistoric animal successfully..They will kill it again.

• Like 1

Neither shocking nor surprising: one thing is the conservation of chemical compounds and quite another the conservation of biochemical compounds, sounds like the same but biochemistry is inherently unstable, else our whole ecology would cease to work.

As we are always being told, the size of the sample is extremely relevant to the findings. A small sample, from an extremely restricted area just adds evidence, not proof.

Now, if the main determinant, as suggested in the article, is "ubiquitous" ground water then the search needs to move to highly arid, almost anaerobic, preservation sites. This would add confirmation to their results. Certainly there is viable DNA from Mammoths (c10,000yrs old) discovered in Siberian permafrost. So, a "Half - Life" for DNA of 521 yrs seems to be hopelessly inaccurate. Just IMO

I would hope that 'DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs' does not mean that 'dinosaur DNA can't be recovered'...

Edited by Junior Chubb

I would hope that 'DNA can't be recovered from dinosaurs' does not mean that 'dinosaur DNA can't be recovered'...

Indeed, in Jurassic Park they recovered from mosquitos in amber ;)

If you think about it, it's incredible: we don't have dinosaurs bone, we have statues. They're exactly replicas, but what we see is not what walked alive on earth

Indeed, in Jurassic Park they recovered from mosquitos in amber ;)

If you think about it, it's incredible: we don't have dinosaurs bone, we have statues. They're exactly replicas, but what we see is not what walked alive on earth

Poor replicas at best. For years we thought these animals dragged their tails on the ground, now we believe their tails are cantilevered counterbalances to offset the weight of long necks or giant heavy heads and jaws. There was the thought that the flying reptiles such as Pteranodons had to launch off mountainsides to get airborne, we now speculate they walked on all fours and folded their wings behind them and then "leapt" into the air much like a vampire bat does. We known almost nothing of their coloration despite a few fossilized skin pieces; were they cryptic or flamboyantly colored, drab grey like alligators or some tortoises or brilliant like tropical birds or coral reef fish? We no virtually nothing of their behavior; while we can tell a carnivore from a herbivore by their dentation, even that is not foolproof; the modern flying fox is a fruit eater, but from it's teeth one could mistake it for a carnivore. We know some made nests for their eggs, but animals also court, mate, care for or abandon their offsprings, interact with other species, have various ways of defending themselves, have food preferences, may or may not spend large amounts of time in water, may or may not be adapted for life in deserts, etc. The really sad thing is there is much more that we will never know about dinosaurs from looking at a pile of bones.

Its good to know that they cannot clone Dinosaurs,because they are trying to clone everything else,also mixing human D.N.A. with other species,these scientists are complete lunatics,because one day they will clone something that they can't control,then we're all in deep s***.

• Like 1

One day in the distant future we will be able to make dinosaurs out of the junk DNA in birds. In fact come to think about it we have dinosaurs flying all around us right now, avian dinosaurs. Every time we eat fried chicken we are eating fried dinosaur.

Hey Spud, talking about mixing DNA. I was sort of amazed and freaked out when I read online about mixing human brain cells with mice. Isn't that just what we need? More intelligent mice? I'm betting that lab technicians have all ready taken some of these mice and either let them go or sold them to pet shops for extra cash. Taken them home to feed their pet snakes and some of them have escaped and gotten loose in people's houses. They take human DNA and mix it with mice all the time. They have no way of knowing how it affects the thinking ability of these rodents. It's not like the mice can speak and tell them what they are thinking. I can think of all kinds of scenarios where these mice will end up getting out and breeding with wild house mice. Lab Techs are just people and I'm fairly certain that some of these rodents will end up being taken out of the lab. Pets, snake food, sold to pet shops, escaped, etc.

Hey Spud, talking about mixing DNA. I was sort of amazed and freaked out when I read online about mixing human brain cells with mice. Isn't that just what we need? More intelligent mice? I'm betting that lab technicians have all ready taken some of these mice and either let them go or sold them to pet shops for extra cash. Taken them home to feed their pet snakes and some of them have escaped and gotten loose in people's houses. They take human DNA and mix it with mice all the time. They have no way of knowing how it affects the thinking ability of these rodents. It's not like the mice can speak and tell them what they are thinking. I can think of all kinds of scenarios where these mice will end up getting out and breeding with wild house mice. Lab Techs are just people and I'm fairly certain that some of these rodents will end up being taken out of the lab. Pets, snake food, sold to pet shops, escaped, etc.

Hi, I'm just thinking that if one of these mice got intelligent enough to escape,and then was eaten by a snake,would the D.N.A. transfer and cause the snake to become intelligent,wow brainy snakes is not a good thought.

Oh well.

We wouldn't be able to allow 'em into the wild anyway.

They would disrupt the food chain too much.

Hi, I'm just thinking that if one of these mice got intelligent enough to escape,and then was eaten by a snake,would the D.N.A. transfer and cause the snake to become intelligent,wow brainy snakes is not a good thought.

Don't see that happening..... When animals eat other animals or even people (Fed to lions ) they don't / didn't take on the traits of whatever / whoever they have eaten. :no:

Could you imagine big cats walking around in Nikes, talking on cell phones, getting tramp stamps. :clap: Much less dinos. :rolleyes:

Edited by mfrmboy

Well with current technology and current samples, sufficient DNA cannot be recovered...but, ten years from now? twenty? thirty? who knows - i'm sure one day in the not-so-distant future we will be able to do it :D

I hunt dinosaurs for a living, i can drop a t-rex with 2 shots of a .22, and no i wont tell you how I do it either, trick of the trade. B)

I just rip out their jugular with my bare hands but thats just me up close and personal. :st

Don't see that happening..... When animals eat other animals or even people (Fed to lions ) they don't / didn't take on the traits of whatever / whoever they have eaten. :no:

Could you imagine big cats walking around in Nikes, talking on cell phones, getting tramp stamps. :clap: Much less dinos. :rolleyes:

Yep I was aware of that,but I posted it to make it interesting.but they have altered the D.N.A. on various animals,is it because they can,or is there an ulterior motive ?,again its on a "Need to Know" basis,and what the ignorant public dont know cant hurt them,they must think we are no brainers.Interfering with Nature will eventually cause untold harm.

Yep I was aware of that,but I posted it to make it interesting.but they have altered the D.N.A. on various animals,is it because they can,or is there an ulterior motive ?

How do you think they made Stuart Little and G-Force?