Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House of the unholy

Creepy_Steve

Have been reading alot about this place the last view months.

Anybody from around there on this board who can shed some light on this?

By Deena Gitaitis

Posting #1

The area where I grew up (Northern Delaware, just below the Pennyslvania border) had the same sort of urban legends, rumors and general teenage superstition that I think every community does. When I was in high school, there was one particularly prevalent story about a mansion located in the woods of the Brandywine Valley.

This house was actually just north of the Pennsylvania border. Everyone called it Cult House.

Now, I'm not sure how this rumor started. I do know that some of my friends' fathers could remember the same story, involving the same location being told when they were in high school.

According to local legend, this mansion is supposedly owned and operated by a "Satanic cult." In some versions, the "cult" is associated with a prominent Delaware family involved in the chemical industry. The window panes are in the shape of inverted crosses. The trees that line the road running along the side of the house grow at a very distinct angle away from the house (in some areas away from their main light source!)

Most interestingly, there is a "guard house" on the grounds, which houses a fleet of red pickup trucks. If you drive past the house too often, one or several of the trucks will come out of the house and chase you away. No matter how close it gets, you will never be able to catch a glimpse of the driver's face.

There is one particular tree along the road that runs past the house which has exposed roots. The roots form the perfect shape of a human skull. It is said that years ago, police found the remains of a sacrificial victim nestled inside the tree. Reports conflict on whether the victim was human or animal. According to the legend, a human sacrifice is performed on the grounds every Halloween.

Well, that's the rumor. Here is my personal experience with "Cult House" (I have been occasionally driving by the place with friends and researching its history for about 7 years now).

The window panes actually are in the shape of inverted crosses. This seems to be not necessarily intentional -- it may just be how those particular panes are shaped. The trees do grow at an extreme angle away from the house (I've never seen trees grow so off-kilter before) -- in some places they do seem to grow away from the main light source. This phenomena stops once you get about 1/4 mile past the house.

There is a guard house and there are red trucks. They have actually followed me before on two occasions.

The first was at night, and the truck's lights were off. (amazing, because there are no streetlights, and the trees allow in no moonlight. I couldn't understand how the driver was able to even stay on the road!) I was behind it at first. The truck pulled over and waited for me to pass. It then pulled out and followed me until I was several miles from the house. I had one passenger in the car, and you can imagine the state we were in. We were scared to death, but REALLY excited!

The next time was also at night, but with a different friend. After we had driven past the guard house several times, we noticed that we were being followed by a red truck. We hadn't seen it even come onto the road. We never saw the driver's face. Again, we were followed until we were several miles from the house, then the truck just pulled over to the side of the road. Again, the headlights were off. I have never seen anyone entering or exiting the main house or the guard house. I know the trucks are housed at the guard house, because at least 5 are usually visible in the driveway.

The "skull tree" does look frighteningly like a human skull. I have never found any newspaper accounts confirming that remains of any kind were found in the tree. I have been able to find absolutely no evidence of sacrificial rites being performed during Halloween or at other times, according to local records.

There are a few other unexplained things about the house. First of all, the road which runs past the house is not on any map that I've ever seen (and believe me, I've looked!) The two roads that "Cult House Road" connects are on the map, but the road itself is missing. It has no visible street sign indicating its name. I believe that it is a public road because it has road signs and is not actually on the property of the house (which sits about 1/4 of a mile back from the road). The county records office can produce no title for a house in that area, matching the description.

The local paper, the News Journal, wanted to run a Halloween feature on the legend, hopefully bringing out the facts and cutting down on some of the traffic on the small rural road.

The city desk editor of the paper (a friend of mine) said that the Journal had obtained a phone number for the house somehow and called to schedule an interview. They explained that they wanted to "debunk" the legend once and for all. She said they were rudely refused by a person who would not even give his name. The journal staff was surprised because they had assumed that the owners would want to stop the rumors.

Lastly, I'd like to give a few of my own impressions of the place. I'm not prepared to say that everything said about the house is true. I can only rely on my own observations. The place definitely has an oppressive air about it.

Several of my friends have been near panic at just being in its vicinity. I know one girl who believed she was in danger of becoming possessed after being near the house. She said the spirit she felt was a female victim of some sort of ritual that had been performed on those grounds. She claimed no previous knowledge of the legends surrounding the house.

Often, I've thought I've seen people moving through the trees near the house. When I look again, they're always gone. I have been chased on a public road by their guards. My friends and I have all seen animals in the woods and on the road that we cannot identify. That may have nothing to do with the house, but it sure contributes to the "weirdness" of the environment.

I don't know how to properly explain it, but once you've turned onto Cult House Road, you feel as if you've entered another dimension. Nothing feels normal. Again, this could all be due to the power of suggestion. Personally, I think there is something going on in the house...I'm just not sure what it is.

More on the House of the unholy here.

I read about that in "Weird Pennsylvania".

Not too sure what to think about it, though. :hmm:

It could just be some sort of top secret facility, like one of those FBI safehouses for people testifying against gangs and whatnot.

They don't appreciate visitors either

Edited by nick_fury

wot street is it on? ill use google maps to find the area.

Have no idea, but would love to hear from members living in this area,

I have heard about that too...but I do not know what to think of it...its too weird

What I don't understand is why nobody ever tried to investigate this house and it's inhabitants.

Go in with some cameras and some people.

we'd probably get posessed or killed.

i have a slight suspicion its towrd the north on pennsilvania.

i know where it is i think!

on maps.google.com search for Ramsey Road. click B and follow the road off the farm to Brandywine Perry Park. In the park is a patch. I think thats it. And, if you look north, there is a house. That could be it, too.

Edited by PuffyAmiYumi

The house is suppossed to belong to the DuPont family, very well known and contravercial family in the US and the rest of the world.

People say they are into satanic rituals etc, that they are freemasons or Illuminatie.

Inbreeding, cloning experiments etc.

Let's just say the DuPonts aren't known as a normal family.

if it was a gov place then they would have the roads closed, and gates for more safety, if it was soem satanic place then you would probably end up dead or possed dont you think? pretty creepy to me

if it was a gov place then they would have the roads closed, and gates for more safety, if it was soem satanic place then you would probably end up dead or possed dont you think? pretty creepy to me

Creepy indeed.

They do seem to have guards and other unusual defences in the woods.

So there is something going on there.

if something IS going on there... maybe they are mutating/cloning animals? ...or humans... like Deena Gitaitis said saw animals in the woods and roads with her friends she cant identify

Edited by Accident

Another House of the unholy story.

Even creepier then the last ones.

In this reader submission, a Delaware man offers his own spine-tingling sequel to House of the Unholy, about a peculiar, well-guarded mansion in the rural part of his home state. Submitted July 2001.

By Al Conner

OK, here it goes. First of all, I am very familiar with the road and the house talked about in the story "House of the Unholy." I have lived in Delaware my entire life, and the house has become something of a Delaware Valley local supernatural treasure: a weird house on the top of a hill out in the middle of nowhere.

Everything that the writer of that story said was true. The house had an inverted cross design in the windows; the trees grew away from the road that wound around the base of the house. The skull tree resided on an outcroppng of rock that juts out that causes the road to make a sharp left, and at the base of the road that leads up to the house resided a "guardhouse" that had a fleet of trucks that would respond to any car that lingered around the area a little too long.

In my sophomore and junior years of high school (I am 27 now) my friends and I used to go up there and drive around, and in the rare instance drop off a few passengers to walk down the road and wait for the driver to pick them up. I was dropped off on this road more than once, and let me tell you, it is a freaky thing. It would be you and a another person all alone on this road barely big enough for two cars to pass, in the pitch black with this giant, menacing house looming in the distance.

(To anyone who has ever read " Salem's Lot" by Stephen King this house's presence loomed over this road much like the Marsten House did over the town of in that book.) The scariest part of that walk was you had to pass by this large drainpipe that looked like it led up to the house. Every time you passed by it you swore you could hear noises emanating from it.

Another thing was that if you saw headlights coming up the road you had to jump in the underbrush because you didn't want those trucks to see you. I remember one time a friend and I were hiding in the bushes when a red truck came by driving very slowly with a mounted spotlight on the side of the truck. We were lucky it was shining on the opposite side of the road.

Anyway, it was the summer of my junior year of high school, and several of my friends had taken to hanging out with a few girls from my neighborhood. We told them about the house, and naturally they thought we were full of it. So one night we decided to take them up there, but we were planning to stage a little theatrical show. One carload of us was to go up to the road early, find a parking place and wait in hiding for the other car with the girls to show up. When they drove by, one of us, clad in a Jason-like hockey mask and black trench coat, was to run out and jump on the hood of the car.

At the end of the road was a little turnoff where you could turn back around and head out to the main road. It was one of those things a teenage guy did to try and impress a girl while trying to scare the s--- out of her.

Anyway, the guy who agreed to wear the mask didn't want to jump on any car, so he told two of us to go about 100 feet up the road, wait in the bushes, and when we saw the car pass, flash a high powered flashlight on the trees above. This was the signal to know it was the right car. My friend Joe and I were chosen to be the lookouts.

We took a flashlight and left the safety-in-numbers group at the end of the road. When we walked about 100 feet or so, we climbed up a small embankment on the house side of the road not far from that skull tree, and there we sat and waited. Now if you have never been out in the woods in complete darkness you can't even begin to appreciate how acute your senses become in such a short amount of time.

After about 2 minutes you can see quite well, after about 5 you start to hear everything, every tree swaying, every wind gust, every branch or underbrush moving as a result of a small animal. Joe and I were sitting there 2 feet above the road, 100 feet from our friends, when we began to hear steady movement behind us, coming from the general direction of the house. We dismissed it as a deer or some other animal moving through the woods.

We began to talk about the upcoming hockey season when we heard a series of loud cracks coming from branches being stepped on. At first we thought it was our mind playing tricks on us but after about 5 minutes of me saying, “Did you hear that?” or him saying, "Shut up and listen!" we began to notice it as being more heavy footed, more deliberate. And it was getting closer. All conversation between us ceased as we strained to listen to this "thing" coming to us. We were scared.

Three more minutes passed, and it was even closer. It was at this point that we began to realize we could be in a lot of trouble. We started to whisper to each other, "Let’s get the f--- out of here," when I noticed something that will be imprinted on my mind until the day I die. About 10 feet behind us was a large tree.

We could just make out the difference in lighting textures between it and the background. Suddenly, as I was looking at it, I noticed a good deal of movement from behind it. Then we saw the silhouette of what appeared to be a person’s head peeking out from behind the tree. It then moved to the other side of the tree to get a better look at us. I whispered to Joe we were running on the count of three. He agreed.

I said the words "One ... two ..." and then the figure behind us in a singsong, droning, deep voice said, " Three!"

At that moment the figure made a frenzied move towards us, moving what seemed to be 5 feet in one leap. Joe and I screamed and headed for the road. What we forgot was the fact that we were actually two feet above the road. We both came out of the wooded area full tilt, hovered in mid-air for a second, and fell to the ground, him landing on top of my head. My head hit the blacktop, and I nearly blacked out. Joe was screaming in my ear to get up. He helped me up and we ran as fast as we could back to the car and our friends.

We got back to the car, told our two friends that someone was out there. The driver dismissed it as bulls--- and started to drive back to where we were. He came back to the area we were at, (this was evident by the large, gaping hole we left in the foliage as we ran out) rolled down his window, and yelled at the top of his lungs, "C'mon, you motherf-----, there are four of us here!!"

At this point the figure came to the edge of the embankment and looked down. This was enough for my friend as he squealed off quickly. As he drove off, the person jumped down the embankment and started to run after the car. We left him in the dust and proceeded out to the main road. We drove on the main road for about 5 minutes, when we saw the other car with our other friends and the girls in it. We flagged them down and told them to turn around and not go up there.

Like the writer of "House of the Unholy" said, this house in unlike any other around. Since that time I've heard a number of rumors about the house, ranging from it being a satanic cult house, to it being a mental hospital for various genetically deformed members of the DuPont family.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I do know every word of what I wrote was true, and if any readers are ever in the northern Delaware area, I'll be happy to meet with them over a pint of Sam Adams, go into more detail on my exploits in regards to this house, and maybe take you up to see the damned thing. I'll also show you the scar I still have on my head from when I landed head first on the most terrifying road in the Delaware Valley

Something weird is going on there.

• Like 4

This is a strange story, I for one have never heard of the house. When I first heard the description I thought it was something about the Barton Mansion. Cops would not be able to just come and investigate the home, it's still private property, and unless their are any missing persons, no one can really go up to the house and break in.

If you believe it's an FBI site, I highly doubt that. They would generally have signs up saying Private Property as well as security signs. As a federal law, they have to give warnings of any government activity, same sense as they have signs all over Area 51.

Seems like something that would be decent to investigate, but it's hard to investigate when people are living there, and they won't grant you entry. I would personally set up a video camera and hide it in the bushes, and aim it towards the house. Put enough tape in there as I could, maybe only 2 -3 hours, but oh well. Also leave some EVP microphone equipment, camoflauge it all as best as I could and grab it the next night. I highly doubt it would come up with anything, but thats about the best you can do.

Yep, weird story.

I've been trying to find it on google earth and the google maps but can't seem to figure out where it is, anyone found it?

PuffyAmiYumi could you post the lat and longitude of that place you found in google maps please.

Yep, weird story.

I've been trying to find it on google earth and the google maps but can't seem to figure out where it is, anyone found it?

PuffyAmiYumi could you post the lat and longitude of that place you found in google maps please.

I think I read somewhere that the place isn't on any map anywhere, seems to be an empty spot on the map nothing else.

But if there are people on the board who are from this area I would love to hear more about it.

Edited by Creepy_Steve

ooohhh creepy, i think some one should go with a mob, ( 20 people ) and explore it, of course bring guns... for you safety, but u cant shoot the devil can you?... Speak of the devil...hell probably make sure u get worste punishment in hell... :P

It would be very convenient if it didn't show up on google satellite. If we could get some eye witness news from someone from this board that lives in the area, it will at least give some credibility.

It would be very convenient if it didn't show up on google satellite. If we could get some eye witness news from someone from this board that lives in the area, it will at least give some credibility.

Oh I am sure the house is real, the strangeness is a different story.

I want to know if the stories are "real"real in does the house really have this reputation.

maybe its jsut some wierd familiy , that goes " GET OFF MY PROPERTY!"

Could be, but most people seem to believe it's du Pont property and weird schizzle happens teher.

But we all know how people like to embelish stories.

Probally it is just a secluded family who just want to be left alone.

But would be nice to hear from someone who lives there in the area.

someone should just go and stay and check out hte "guard house " from close, DONT GET KILLED , during daylight, post here b4 u go...if u dont psot in a week we noe sumthing happened to you BE CAREFULL DONT GO ALONE go with 5 people or so,

All I can say is, have any of you seen the episode called "Home" from the X-Files?

I wouldn't be going near it.