Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fired Over Post About Obama Assassination

soldier4death

This woman posted her thoughts on her Facebook page about Obama and his reelection. Those comments would lead to her losing her job.

The Coldstone store in Turlock, where Helms had worked for less than a year, received more than 20 angry voicemails about the Facebook post, store manager Chris Kegle told the Modesto Bee.

"We found her comments to be very disgusting, and they do not reflect our opinions here," Kegle said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/11/turlock-woman-fired-facebook-obama.html

Why do some people assume that what they write and show on Facebook is private?

• Like 2

Her comments were dumb and just kept getting dumber, hahaha,like Trump's .Oh twitter I love you. Not....

She should of known way better than to post on an all-viewing site, especially since Facebook is the one site employers go to view their employees' profiles, and base hiring and firing off Facebook profiles.

I wonder if she listed her place of employment on her profile.If she did, and it affected her employer's business, I think that she should have been fired too.

What happened to freedom of speech.even people talking stupid should not be fired..

I can't believe people are still stupid enough to believe that things they post on FB will not come back to bite them on the rear.

• Like 2

What happened to freedom of speech.even people talking stupid should not be fired..

If you put your information 'out there' and you expect that your right to do so is protected by anything, well... not so much.I'm sure that she'll find another job.

Freedom of speech doesn't protect people from consequences of making stupid statements.
  • Like 1

This was all over the news here . She claimed she's not racist . She hadn't lost her job yet,when I saw them interview her .

Ooohhhh wwweeellllll

I can't believe people are still stupid enough to believe that things they post on FB will not come back to bite them on the rear.

Joke or not you still do not post things like that. If you said something like that towards someone, you never know how they are going to react.

People are way to sensitive about things people say. This is one of those just shake your head and *facepalm* moments. Not a hey let's get a girl fired and secret service involved on something that isn't a real threat.

All this shows is at the end of the day who has the real power(Money). If this didn't happen (only possibly not 100%) to affect sales in a negative way nothing would of been done. You work for somebody else they basically own you.

Not defending her because of what she said(Because well I like Obama), I'm defending that if we work for somebody we should have some say about how we act in our own lives outside of the workplace.

This is why people need to learn to cover their butts, don't post current employment on facebook, if you don't post it you don't represent them outside of work and can do and say what you want(It's like wearing the uniform while your working there). Remember that you are not your job, but when you represent them watch your mouth.

This is a very slippery slope.

She was interviewed on TV today, and admitted to using the "n" word and talking about the assassination of the president. She is being investigated by the FBI and Secret Service, since making threats like these is against the law. They will go after someone even for making a "joke" about that.

Whenever this topic pops up,I always post this. I do not know her,but this was widely circulated at the time it occured ,2004.

I went thru many of her posts,and at the time,she was a teenager,and a Harry Potter fanfic writer .So a teenage harry potter fan,drew this ki.d of attention ,for speaking her mind,on her journal .

Bush is the one that made this kind of thing more popular ,as many people made comments,and he was a whiney little ***** ...so..

. http://anniesj.livejournal.com/331112.html

Companies are in the business of making money. If an employee's speech or behaviour becomes a liabilty to the company and costs them money, they will be fired. Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom from consequence.

• Like 2

freedom of speech is not unlimited.