Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Has the internet killed the Loch Ness monster

loch ness monster cryptozoological duplicity sasquatch internet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,576 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Reported sightings of a big beast used to fill us with wonder.

Now, thanks to YouTube – where there is a new cryptozoological sensation every day, from mammoths filmed wandering in the Siberian tundra, to Sasquatch loping through the Canadian backwoods – we're attuned to duplicity. Our innocence is gone, along with an era that was trusting, gullible, even. It may be far-fetched to suggest that those 1930s monster-believers were contemporaneous with fellow Europeans who placed their faith in real-life monsters – the totalitarian leaders who offered darker and more dangerous fantasies – but it is undeniable that in the internet age, it is much more difficult to fool us. Or at least, that's what we think.

http://www.guardian....ch-ness-monster

Posted Image

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think the lack of existing hurt it the most. ;)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,233 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 04 May 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I think the lack of existing hurt it the most. ;)

Information is a bittch aint it lol

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

We need a body of this and other mythical creatures.

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,542 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

The internet has killed many things, including but not limited to :

Fishing
Hiking
Imagination
Playing outside
Swimming
Family Picnics

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#6    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Its kinda hard to kill something that never existed in the first place, dont you think.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#7    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think the opposite, the internet has increased the belief in such things. All you have to do is Google and you'll get a dozen sights with people all claiming to have had encounters with the critter......but no good pictures......and then the Doctor who took the infamous picture decided to come clean on his hoax that lasted for over fifty years. Pretty hard to say something is real when the only good picture is actually a rubber dinosaur head mounted on a toy submarine.

Sort of like boobs on a hot Hollywood starlet, they look great but they're just bags of silicon really. In short, they ain't real.

#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,246 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I think the opposite, the Internet has increased the belief in such things...
I'd tend to agree, except with regard to a couple of examples...  Certainly ghosts and UFO=alienz folks seem to be growing.. or maybe it's simply because they used to have little or no voice - may I rudely suggest that anonymity can make people with weird views very brave...

However, I can give a couple of examples where I think the Internet has dramatically reduced CT-belief..

First, Apollo denial is definitely on the wane, and I think that is largely because the evidence for it is not only incredibly comprehensive and relatively easy to find, it is all consistent and cross-checkable, and being verified with all sorts of new information from various sources.

Another example is 'chem'trails.  Like Apollo it had a buildup of interest for a short while but it seems to be on the decline also - for differing reasons?  I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps it is just that the whole idea is just too stupid..

It would be nice to think that the Internet helped people become more aware, and better educated, and wiser..  but perhaps I am too optimistic.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,255 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Video killed the radio star....video killed the radio star :su

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 05 May 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

I'd tend to agree, except with regard to a couple of examples...  Certainly ghosts and UFO=alienz folks seem to be growing.. or maybe it's simply because they used to have little or no voice - may I rudely suggest that anonymity can make people with weird views very brave...

However, I can give a couple of examples where I think the Internet has dramatically reduced CT-belief..

First, Apollo denial is definitely on the wane, and I think that is largely because the evidence for it is not only incredibly comprehensive and relatively easy to find, it is all consistent and cross-checkable, and being verified with all sorts of new information from various sources.

Another example is 'chem'trails.  Like Apollo it had a buildup of interest for a short while but it seems to be on the decline also - for differing reasons?  I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps it is just that the whole idea is just too stupid..

It would be nice to think that the Internet helped people become more aware, and better educated, and wiser..  but perhaps I am too optimistic.

.....and by contrast, the Flat Earth Society has grown exponentially.

#11    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think the internet has muddied all aspects of cryptozoology. The amount of hoaxes and lies have only increased. There are that many people hoaxing it has killed every "monster" there ever was.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#12    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 05 May 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

There are that many people hoaxing it has killed every "monster" there ever was.

Yep,...and sometimes even killed the hoaxer himself. http://www.livescien...n-accident.html

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#13    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 05 May 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

For my part it was finally getting interested in Crypto and paranormal stuff on the internet that finally opened my eyes with regard to the fact that everything that I thought was "evidence" (which had previously been driving my positive beliefs) was in fact not evidence at all.

I think for many people who are more gullible, the opposite is true.  As I've said many times it was finding this site to actually look up information on a creature I believed in at the time - Bigfoot - that ultimately awakened my nature as someone who needs hard proof that stuff like this exists...and helped me understand what proof really is.

So I think it goes both ways - it depends on the individual - and their individual standards for what passes as evidence for these kinds of phenomena.

That said - the abundance of information available online will ultimately be the downfall of many crypto animals - but thats not the internet's fault - thats because they probably don't exist and the truth always has a way of getting out.  The internet will just ultimately bring that about more quickly.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#14    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostHazzard, on 05 May 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Yep,...and sometimes even killed the hoaxer himself. http://www.livescien...n-accident.html

What an idiot. I wonder if hoaxing was worth dying for?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#15    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

The only thing that killed the Loch Ness Monster for me was weak/inconsistent facts and lack of evidence.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

Also tagged with loch ness monster, cryptozoological, duplicity, sasquatch, internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users