Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ruins in antarctica?

kannin

does any one support the plausibility that there could be ruins in antarctica? or if theres even anything under the ice at all? i think it would be very interesting if there was, maybe some lost human history that weve never known before, i mean there finding plant life in frozen regions and reviving them so i can only imagine what could be down there

• Like 5

You won't find any ancient ruins in Antarctica, It's been frozen for about 15 million years, and there weren't any Hominids advanced enough to build them before that... IMO

If evidence that dinosaurs evolved into tool users is ever found, I'll change my opinion to maybe... :D

Antarctica Geological_history_and_paleontology

• Like 1

Might be fossils but doubtful of the ruins.

wasn't the piri reis map from the 16th century meant to depict the land mass under the snow that we couldn't find until using technology, or so the conspiracy goes.

wasn't the piri reis map from the 16th century meant to depict the land mass under the snow that we couldn't find until using technology, or so the conspiracy goes.

No:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2684&showentry=23172

I'm not sue if we will ever find ruins in Antarctica, although it sounds like it could be one hell of a storyline to a Hollywood movie. I've heard a few conspiracy theories on this, I guess it's somehow connected to the supposed hollow earth theory and the Hitler/ Admiral Byrd story Operation High jump.Neuschwabenland. I really don't know but it is very interesting, when I was a lot younger I once thought that Antarctica could have been Atlantis or even Lemuria. Who knows but nonetheless it's worth looking into and fun to hear what other people have to say about it.

• Like 1

I'm not sue if we will ever find ruins in Antarctica, although it sounds like it could be one hell of a storyline to a Hollywood movie.

Maybe not movies, but it *is* the plot to an H P Lovecraft novel, At the Mountains of Madness.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

Dang jaylemurph ya beat me to it, good book by the way.

Maybe not movies, but it *is* the plot to an H P Lovecraft novel, At the Mountains of Madness.

--Jaylemurph

Hell yea! I will definitely check that out when I finish The Elder Gods by David Eddings in his dreamers series. I have been somewhat of a fan of Lovecraft over the years I have 3 sets of the Arkham Horror board game. Call of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, and Kingsport, also read The Necronomicon, I enjoy all of the B rated Lovecraft movies and I have even written a song mentioning him. I just really have never got around to reading anything of his besides The Necronomicon. But I will make sure I read At the Mountains of Madness soon.

does any one support the plausibility that there could be ruins in antarctica? or if theres even anything under the ice at all? i think it would be very interesting if there was, maybe some lost human history that weve never known before, i mean there finding plant life in frozen regions and reviving them so i can only imagine what could be down there.

There's plenty of land under the ice of Antarctica.

post-74391-0-49014000-1370921056_thumb.j

cormac

• Like 2

Hell yea! I will definitely check that out when I finish The Elder Gods by David Eddings in his dreamers series. I have been somewhat of a fan of Lovecraft over the years I have 3 sets of the Arkham Horror board game. Call of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, and Kingsport, also read The Necronomicon, I enjoy all of the B rated Lovecraft movies and I have even written a song mentioning him. I just really have never got around to reading anything of his besides The Necronomicon. But I will make sure I read At the Mountains of Madness soon.

Guillermo del Torro was pitching a film version right before he started working on the Hobbit project that eventually Peter Jackson took over. I'd rather have seen that than a 9 hour Hobbit adaptation, me.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

--Jaylemurph

I am reading this right now. freaking weird it's like in the Call of Cthulhu when people in distant places have similar dreams at the same time. maybe right now someone is finding ruins in Antarctica.

Alien vs Predator used the idea that there were pyramids under the ice. So, yeah, that idea was used in a movie.

• Like 1

These people that start these sort of topics never seem to do any research of their own. They have a wild idea but do not bother to see if it's likely or even possible.

A simple google search of Antarctica will easily give you enough info to get a rough idea. Especially the answer if there is land under the ice or not.

• Like 1

Finding ruins would be very interesting, but we have to be a little circumspect in believing any such thing is likely. Fossils should be in abundance because many species identified from the fossil record, would certainly have found a home there (Paleocene Era), and even later during the Eocene Era when there was a large amount of tectonic uplifting ocurring (with accompanying localised heating).

Even during the Pliocene Era (HS Era) there was a not insubstantial amount of Ice Sheet melt that allowed plants to flourish. What there isn't, is any mechanism for continuous evolution to function, let alone Civilisations to arise

Guillermo del Torro was pitching a film version right before he started working on the Hobbit project that eventually Peter Jackson took over. I'd rather have seen that than a 9 hour Hobbit adaptation, me.

--Jaylemurph

I'd like to see them both because I have to admit I loved the Hobbit. I'm sorry it's true I just think it's great and can't wait for the next one to come out in theaters. Maybe he can make the Lovecraft film after the Hobbit, hopefully he will and maybe Peter Jackson will help out with it, I think it would be pretty cool. Well I don't know Peter Jackson doing a Lovecraft movie might be to weak, maybe he wouldn't have it in him to get it right. ^_^

As for Antarctica again though. I believe no ones allowed to take an expedition there anymore, I think the united nations and worlds militaries have stated that anyone can and will either be killed or imprisoned for going there, so if you do go there you have to have permission from your government and it has to only be for a certain amount of time and they have to know where you're going and what your intentions are. Although there is this elite extremely rich guy who has a science lab somewhere out there in antarctice in fact he owns part of it. So maybe something strange is going on out there? :whistle:

God Speed! TNO

• Like 1

As for Antarctica again though. I believe no ones allowed to take an expedition there anymore, I think the united nations and worlds militaries have stated that anyone can and will either be killed or imprisoned for going there, so if you do go there you have to have permission from your government and it has to only be for a certain amount of time and they have to know where you're going and what your intentions are. Although there is this elite extremely rich guy who has a science lab somewhere out there in antarctice in fact he owns part of it. So maybe something strange is going on out there? :whistle:

God Speed! TNO

You need to read this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Travel-to-Antarctica Antarctica is a tourist destination.

Any link concerning this "elite, extremely rich guy" is. It's news to me - unless of course it is the Nephilim, Superman, Lex Luthor or the suchlike :innocent:

• Like 1

These people that start these sort of topics never seem to do any research of their own. They have a wild idea but do not bother to see if it's likely or even possible.

A simple google search of Antarctica will easily give you enough info to get a rough idea. Especially the answer if there is land under the ice or not.

I did my research all I asked was peoples opinions and views didnt say there eas ruins

• Like 1

Finding ruins would be very interesting, but we have to be a little circumspect in believing any such thing is likely. Fossils should be in abundance because many species identified from the fossil record, would certainly have found a home there (Paleocene Era), and even later during the Eocene Era when there was a large amount of tectonic uplifting ocurring (with accompanying localised heating).

Even during the Pliocene Era (HS Era) there was a not insubstantial amount of Ice Sheet melt that allowed plants to flourish. What there isn't, is any mechanism for continuous evolution to function, let alone Civilisations to arise

Would be awsome if they found some new dino species

And I ment maybe a primate species linked to humans could be found as human history maybe I worded it wrong

And I ment maybe a primate species linked to humans could be found as human history maybe I worded it wrong

You worded it just fine. Any primate fossils in Antarctica would re-write much of human evolution as we understand it (at the moment). The warming periods during the pliocene COULD have allowed for a sentient species to arise (not necessarily mammalian) and to have developed a civilisation. Homo Sapien Sapiens civilisation is the result of just a few millenia, so the possibility remains.

I'm certainly not against the possibility of exciting findings under the Antarctic ice.

I suppose there will always be an interest, as previous posters have commented, that there may be a "wealth" of other, more mundane discoveries, such as plant and animal fossils, as opposed to human/subhuman "ruins"

Not sure how much it would cost to explore under the ice such a large continent... perhaps just selected areas.

Edited by pallidin

You need to read this link: http://www.wikihow.c...l-to-Antarctica Antarctica is a tourist destination.

Any link concerning this "elite, extremely rich guy" is. It's news to me - unless of course it is the Nephilim, Superman, Lex Luthor or the suchlike :innocent:

The Nephilim are very intriguing to me, I love the stories and lore about them. The Fallen Angels.

It's owned by one of the Rothschild's which are the supposed elite involved in the Illuminati and Bilderberg group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothschild_Island, and you're right I think it is a tourist attraction. I think what I heard was that no one is allowed to fly over the north and south poles, and are no fly zones but again don't take me 100% on that I'm not sure it's just what I've heard. If they are no fly zones I wonder why they are, and if they are not and you're allowed to fly over the poles then I wonder where the disinformation came from? I'm guessing from the hollow earth conspiracy theorist. Actually I remember now that this guy said that the governments of the world say it's too cold to fly over them, but yet he asked in his youtube video if they are too cold to fly over then how in the hell did we ever fly into space, because space is supposed to be one of the coldest places in the universe.