Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolphins being trained for underwater warfare

Still Waters

Dolphins are being trained for military action by the Ukraine navy in a return to Soviet-style underwater warfare, it emerged yesterday.

The marine mammals will be taught to attack enemy combat swimmers using special knives or pistols fixed to their heads, said a source in Sevastopol, a large port on the Black Sea.

They are also able to locate items of military interest and mark them by attaching buoys, or plant explosives in enemy territory.

http://www.dailymail...apped-them.html

• Like 1

Again?

I've heard of dolphins being trained like this before too, but I don't remember if it was with the Ukraine navy. As far as I'm aware this isn't an old news article, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 1

I've heard of dolphins being trained like this before too, but I don't remember if was with the Ukraine navy. As far as I'm aware this isn't an old news article.

No, the article isn't old but the U.S. Navy was doing this type of training with dolphins during the Vietnam War.

• Like 1

No, the article isn't old but the U.S. Navy was doing this type of training with dolphins during the Vietnam War.

I see what you mean now.

• Like 1

So wrong bringing animals into our stupidity. :td:

• Like 3

Just leave the dolphins alone and keep your war-like ways to yourself! One day these people are gonna be training toddlers to fight wars as well.

• Like 2

We are seriously going to equip one of the most intelligent and human like animals on earth with weapons? Tool use is one of the ways we beat dolphins....So I guess its time to give them tools.

Seriously bro? I see a dolphin revolution in our future.

• Like 2

We are seriously going to equip one of the most intelligent and human like animals on earth with weapons? Tool use is one of the ways we beat dolphins....So I guess its time to give them tools.

Seriously bro? I see a dolphin revolution in our future.

Dolphins are the most human like animals? I thought that would be the other great apes.

And if I'd want to give weapons to animals and use them for my benefits, I'd rather use the smarter ones, too. ;)

• Like 1

I've heard of dolphins being trained like this before too, but I don't remember if it was with the Ukraine navy. As far as I'm aware this isn't an old news article, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

The united states navy has a sealion ,dolphin program ,and its not search and rescue ,if you get my meaning .

• Like 2

Still .It's called the us navy mammal program . I don't for a second believe its as beneign as they would like us to believe.

• Like 2

I don't know how I am going to explain to the hospital that I got shot by a dolphin while surfing... yeah.... shot by a dolphin...

• Like 3

An octopus assassin could be useful, or a killer whale strapped with explosives...

• Like 1

I wish everyone would just leave the animals out of it. They have been using dogs forever in wars and not much is said about that.

When they tally up the war dead they need to include the animals they use.

• Like 1

Just leave the dolphins alone and keep your war-like ways to yourself! One day these people are gonna be training toddlers to fight wars as well.

That has been done, ask a Vietnam vet. Put a bomb on a baby and turn her loose in a crowd. It is horrible what humans can come up with. I can only hope the dophins will turn on their trainers.

• Like 1

I heard once that the Navy also had a program that put a seagull(or some other bird) in a clear dome underneath search and rescue aircraft to spot downed pilots and perhaps other things with their keen, always observant eyesight.

They were trained to peck a signal pad when they spotted something trained to be of interest.

Pretty sure it was just experimental. Likely electronic technological advances made this approach obsolete.

• Like 2

tsk3x its hard to train them... but what's the use? you can't use a mistake to solve a another mistake... war..

tsk3x its hard to train them... but what's the use? you can't use a mistake to solve a another mistake... war..

• Like 1