Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19y old is making life hell for creationists

Render

For Zack Kopplin, it all started back in 2008 with the passing of the Louisiana Science Education Act. The bill made it considerably easier for teachers to introduce creationist textbooks into the classroom. Outraged, he wrote a research paper about it for a high school English class. Nearly five years later, the 19-year-old Kopplin has become one of the fiercest — and most feared — advocates for education reform in Louisiana. We recently spoke to him to learn more about how he's making a difference.

Facing opposition

His efforts, needless to say, have not gone unnoticed — particularly by his opponents. He's been called the Anti-Christ, a stooge of "godless liberal college professors," and was even accused of causing Hurricane Katrina. Kopplin cooly brushes these incidents aside, saying they're just silly distractions.

It's simply not science

And indeed, Kopplin is a passionate defender of scientific inquiry, and vociferously rejects the notion that creationism and evolution should be taught side-by-side.

"Creationism is not science, and shouldn't be in a public school science class — it's that simple," he says. "Often though, creationists do not, or are unwilling, to recognize this." Science, he argues, is observable, naturalistic, testable, falsifiable, and expandable — everything that creationism is not.

But what also drives Kopplin is the inherent danger he sees in teaching creationism.

"Creationism confuses students about the nature of science," he says. "If students don't understand the scientific method, and are taught that creationism is science, they will not be prepared to do work in genuine fields, especially not the biological sciences. We are hurting the chances of our students having jobs in science, and making discoveries that will change the world."

More: http://io9.com/5976112/how-19+year+old-activist-zack-kopplin-is-making-life-hell-for-louisianas-creationists

• Like 8

When I first read the evolution theory I felt my faith in God is increasing! :innocent: lol

Such nonsense! but still thats the way of science! like the old times when they were trying to make gold with copper & mercury.

Edited by V0ID
  • Like 1

When I first read the evolution theory I felt my faith in God is increasing! :innocent: lol

Such nonsense! but still thats the way of science! like the old times when they were trying to make gold with copper & mercury.

I guess you got your screen name from the amount of science you know. lol

• Like 8

the blamed him for a hurricane? LOL

the blamed him for a hurricane? LOL

They always do that .Katrina was the fault of the gays,and hedonism that goes on in new Orleans. Blah blah blah ,so its his fault too .

Cmon bubbie .Different strokes ......

I really don't get the argument between creationism and science.

Surely if god was real he created evolution..... Hence why i don't get it. (If god is real he created everything... Which means all science is doing is showing how god did it. lol)

PS, I don't believe in god.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 5

You guessed that all alone or you had help?

Evolutionists has such a humorous sense, which is obvious as well in all their theories LOL

Edited by V0ID

He's been called the Anti-Christ, a stooge of "godless liberal college professors," and was even accused of causing Hurricane Katrina.

============================================================

Are they the same people who have passed the act and believe creationism and evolution should be taught side-by-side? :no:

You guessed that all alone or you had help?

Evolutionists has such a humorous sense, which is obvious as well in all their theories LOL

There is no humor in the scientific method, only the conclusion some draw deviating from it is quite humorous.

• Like 1

This is really incredible.. How grown adults can actually defend creationism in a classroom always dumbfounded me. I have a Jesuit friend who doesn't believe in it.. but hey he's got a PhD in physics.

I'm all for Creationist's; they're one of my main sources of entertainment and I 'd hate to see them go...Just keep their idiocy out of the classroom.

• Like 7

Really? But Western alchemy is recognized as a protoscience that contributed to the development of modern chemistry and medicine. Sure, we might not always achieve that which we are aiming, for, when even more valuable developments are exposed through these laborious processes or digging down into the depths of a thing to see what makes it tick, instead of just praying to it. Religions seems to be going downhill with time, science on the other hand becomes more accurate with time. That's what is better about science, it is flexible, like the out of africa model, it can change based on new evidence. Not so with religion the rules are stated out from the get go, depending on which faith you decide to follow, many of which conflict.

We might not be turning lead into gold, but we are making things like aspirin, because people decided to try things like Alchemy. And heck, maybe turning acid into money and relief is better than turning lead into gold. I guess philosophically one could say they exceeded the mark.

• Like 1

Hilarious lol

Surely if god was real he created evolution..... Hence why i don't get it. (If god is real he created everything... Which means all science is doing is showing how god did it. lol)

Both versions of the Creation in the Bible do not show any signs of the evolutionary process. Humans were created just as they are today (both times) and placed directly on Earth.

Evolution also contradicts Biblical stories like Noah's Ark in which every living thing on Earth was destroyed.

Both versions of the Creation in the Bible do not show any signs of the evolutionary process. Humans were created just as they are today (both times) and placed directly on Earth.

Evolution also contradicts Biblical stories like Noah's Ark in which every living thing on Earth was destroyed.

I never said anything about the bible. God is mentioned in many scriptures not just the bible. The bible was written by humans, so there will obviously be human error.... Just like a lot of cases with science in the past.

Edited by Coffey

Science has ways of detecting and fixing its mistakes. Religion doesn't. Science cleans itself. Religion just perpetuates its own mess.

The Paradox of Evil is discussed in the Book of Job. Religion still has no answer.

Augustine expounded upon the Just War in the early Fifth Century. Religion still hasn't figured out that there is no such thing.

And the Pelagian Heresy (410 AD) was about whether there is such a thing as free will. That issue still hasn't been settled.

We can speak of scientific progress. There is no such thing as religious progress.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

I never said anything about the bible. God is mentioned in many scriptures not just the bible. The bible was written by humans, so there will obviously be human error.... Just like a lot of cases with science in the past.

How true, man created all the religions and which versions of scrolls were cannonized and how their interpetations were passed down. It takes alot of guts to tell God how God created all the different universes!

The way one thing comes into being is not necessarily how another being or world comes into existence. Man has proven that in a small way by clones a non sexual created life. Man in God's image can also create light through electricity etc.

If you look at Genesis you see the natural process of evolution, energy and light, a consciousness that created from the void, the stars, heavens, earth gets water and land, day and night of seasons, fishes then higher forms of life come later. Consciousness of God created all the natural laws and all time and dimensions but is also above them.

As you would study an artist's work to know more about the artist, so we can study the sciences behind creation and the natural laws and "super natural" laws to know the Creator who formed them. We are the children meant to learn to live with each in peace and create as well as being the good custodians of all that is created. Over time religions seem to fail in this message and a new "prophet" is sent whether in the name of God or a science.

People who close their minds in either direction- ultra pro a God that's misrepresentated in a tradition by others or ultra atheists who can deny a higher level of a creative and conscious being both show their ignorance.

Within and at the center there is a concious unification of truth and love which can over come all these misperceptions. Meanwhile we witness the crusades over and over until we learn to live with others who are searching for the same thing but don't realize it.

• Like 2

How do you teach creation?

Teacher: Ok students, Today we are going to learn about creation! Before anything exsisted, there was a word, and the word was god.... then god created us....

Ok, so know you know how we was created?

Any questions?

Student: Um Sir, how did god do it all?

Teacher: Well Simon, that is a good question.... God is all powerfull... thats how.

Student: Ummmmm, yeah but what powers made us?

Teacher: Look Simon, Do you ask how leonardo stroke his brush to create Mona Lisa? GOD DID IT, DO NOT QUESTION HOW...... HE JUST DID IT.

Student: ............

• Like 1

It's possible we were created but there isn't any proof yet.....so I don't see how it can be taught in public schools. School are to teach you about science that is not moulded by religion doctrine.

Turn off and throw away your computers all you believers in creationism! Computers are the work of science and therefore are EVIL!

Repent sinners, lest ye be cast into your hard drive for all eternity!

Science has answered many questions except the most important ones- why can't we live in peace with each other? Why do we kill, rape, torture and subjugate the weak? The derision I see exhibited here toward the concept of a Creator God is a form of pride I think. Pride that humans have come so far and don't need anything from anyone except to shut up and let us keep experimenting, we'll work it all out, thanks. But the reality is that with the absolute EXPLOSION of knowledge we've experience over the past 70 years or so, mankind has only moved closer to the edge of annihilation. Think not? In 1945 we learned the secret that makes it possible for men to actually, physically destroy all life on this planet. We have avoided that fate for a few decades but the world grows darker every day. The hate in men's minds and souls is not conquered with knowledge, else we'd all be saints by now living in a Utopia of harmony.

Religion is NOT what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ability of the creation (us) to simply acknowledge that we ARE a creation and that the force which did the creating knows more about how we should live than we do - at least if we are to survive as a species and grow into the next level of evolution. I believe the stories of apocalypse are the warning to us that not many will survive our arrogance and pride. We will be given our own way - right up to the point where ALL life is about to be extincted from this blue planet but THEN it stops and the Creator will deal with those doing the destroying - whether in the name of religion OR science. Bumpy ride ahead folks. And I think it's in our lifetime.

We will be given our own way - right up to the point where ALL life is about to be extincted from this blue planet but THEN it stops and the Creator will deal with those doing the destroying - whether in the name of religion OR science. Bumpy ride ahead folks. And I think it's in our lifetime.

Only for so long you can sit and wait for others to fix your problems.