Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

15 New Bird Species Found In The Amazon

bird species the amazon rainforest

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,756 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

The Amazon rainforest, a well-known epicenter of biodiversity, has offered up another trove of riches. The treasure takes the form of 15 newly described bird species. Some are tiny. One has a long, curved bill. Another is super fluffy. All live in the southern Amazon, most of them in an area known as the “arc of deforestation.”

It’s been 140 years since as many new Brazilian bird species were described at one time.

http://www.wired.com...mazonian-birds/

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Amazing and fascinating.
Are they mutated or evolving as they  belong to an order that includes ravens, sparrows, and finches. or birds which have always been there, but never discovered before?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 June 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Amazing and fascinating.
Are they mutated or evolving as they  belong to an order that includes ravens, sparrows, and finches. or birds which have always been there, but never discovered before?

Yes, a very good point indeed. If they are mutations then they mightn't have been there a very few years ago. I wonder what the experts would have to say about that.

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

cool i love seing new species, its refreshing to know not everything has been discovered

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,127 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 June 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Amazing and fascinating.

It is no surprise to me. The Amazon rainforest is very dense, and scientists have not researched the whole area. It's not easy terrain to travel through.

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

"Describing new species is not a trivial task," Silveira said. Many sang different songs, or had different genetic sequences than previously known birds. "We considered a bird as a new species when at least two of the three criteria — plumage, voice, and genetics — were consistently different from some previously known and closely related, already described species."

So I guess they need to catch the birds to determine the genetics.  I hope they aren't hurting them to do so.

Edited by paperdyer, 07 June 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#7    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 244 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Incredible, I love hearing about new species being discovered, just fills me up with hope
Just one thing I'm curious about, the "arc of deforestation"?. I find it strange that they are discovered there, but i'm no ornithologist :blush:

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,890 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, great discovery. Unfortunately, deforestation by companies and locals in such regions are threatening our ability to find interesting, perhaps beneficial, new plants and creatures.

#9    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,595 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Makes you wonder could there be a better species of man hidden away in there....

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users