Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apple refused to give FBI technical support

toast

The FBI’s Request:

In a search after the shooting, the FBI discovered an iPhone belonging to one of the attackers. The iPhone

is the property of the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health where the attacker worked and

the FBI has permission to search it. However, the FBI has been unable, so far, to guess the passcode to

unlock it. In iOS devices, nearly all important files are encrypted with a combination of the phone passcode

and a hardware key embedded in the device at manufacture time. If the FBI cannot guess the phone passcode,

+then they cannot recover any of the messages or photos from the phone.

Read more

So it is fact that the FBI was still not able to hack the iphone and now Apple should provide the FBI with

software (SIF/Software Image File) that will make the data available for the FBI. I recommend the position

of Apple here in general but I do not understand the way of acting by the FBI. I`m quite sure that if the FBI

would agree with Apple to bring the iphone to Apple HQ/lab it would be no problem for Apple to read out the

data, in presence of FBI folks, and hand over the data, so the problem would be solved within 24hrs.

• Like 4

This is a very interesting case.

And it must have created a lot of ulcers in the higher ups from late night arguments. By opposing the order they are effectively saying that they will not kowtow to the gov't even when it is in the best interest of just about everybody for them to do so.

They are saying that the users right to privacy is greater than the state's right to harvest information at will. And again, even when it is in the best interest of just about everybody for them to do so.

That is a pretty bold stance to take.

Or it might just be something as simple as creating a backdoor that can be accessed means that the knowledge that the backdoor exists and now anybody savvy enough can get in and ransack the phone for date/information.

Forgive the hyperbole, but this is like ordering a bank to install hand sized holes in every safety deposit box just in case authorities need to get into them to check for vital information. Sure the bank can try and hide them with paint or paper, but everybody still knows that hole is there and that any amount of treasure can be locked away in those little boxes.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 2

are they effing kidding?? this is b.s. my IT guy at my work unlocks my iphone remotely when i forget code, also our blackberries and i phones have additional security software, min 8 characters, at least 1 number, not original apple dial pad for code.

if our guy can unlock my phone i do not see why fbi, or apple can not. something does not sound right

• Like 1

Well, Apple should be compensated for the request (paid for their time). Also, the FBI should have just asked, instead of going directly to court with this. Hell, Apple could have even volunteered to help right at the start.

On the other hand, Apple is intentionally making software that would foil government hacking, which isn't a good sign in my opinion, as it interferes with actual criminal investigations, BUT....see bubblykiss's post above.

And on another hand, the government is setting a dangerous precedent here, being able to get into anyone's phone without any sort of checks and balances.

I am torn on this.

This could potentially get all FUBAR'd really, really fast.

• Like 2

I guess Apple helping the FBI with a backdoor will certainly destroy one of their better sales arguments. This is a two sided sword. If Apple helps it looses customers... if it does not the best customers will be those with something to hide.

• Like 3

It is rather unfortunate when standing up for privacy becomes, effectively, obstructing a criminal investigation. Maybe the Government has brought this attitude of uncooperativeness on themselves through their mass surveillance policies, but I'd have thought any reputable business would recognize the difference between that and a genuine criminal investigation, which surely they'd be willing to help.

• Like 2

honestly its apples decision. For example its like the FBI just decides to walk into your store and looks at everything, it violates you.(plus for apple they say if they allow the FBI to look in then the privacy of others to be violated as well is possible.)

• Like 1

e.

Or it might just be something as simple as creating a backdoor that can be accessed means that the knowledge that the backdoor exists and now anybody savvy enough can get in and ransack the phone for date/information.

Backdoors have been embedded not just in software, but in the actual hardware of modern computers. Ergo, you can make your PC as secure as you want but your Intel (or AMD in some cases,) processor is 100% accessible to the right people with the right keys. As long as it's made with 1's and 0's, it can be hacked given enough time. That is an unavoidable fact.

Also, does anyone remember "the Fappening"? Hundreds and hundreds of A-list celebrities had their iPhones or Apple accounts hacked and personal lewd and delicious photos were spread across the internet. This was done by a hacker, by A SINGLE hacker. There were a lot of questions about the security of Apple's server farms after that event. All that is to say, Apple is not known for their Fort Knox security and in all likelihood are in bed with the NSA. Yes, the NSA - the mysterious group with the supercomputer pre-cog quietly building a profile of your digital life.

Open question - does the FBI not have a cyber forensics team? It seems so odd that they tried to break in by guessing the password instead of, ya know, hacking in to the phone cause they're the bloody FBI?

• Like 1

are they effing kidding?? this is b.s. my IT guy at my work unlocks my iphone remotely when i forget code, also our blackberries

and i phones have additional security software, min 8 characters, at least 1 number, not original apple dial pad for code.

if our guy can unlock my phone i do not see why fbi, or apple can not. something does not sound right

If your equipment is company equipment than the company IT gurus know the loggins, thats the difference here.

• Like 2

well if apple is in bed with nsa, now it makes sense that they refuse to comply with fbi request.

agencies are not that cooperative between each other, you hear it constantly on press conferences, how they not share intel.

so if nsa covers up for apple, they probably told them do not talk to anyone else,, we will take care of problems if they come up.

Backdoors have been embedded not just in software, but in the actual hardware of modern computers. Ergo, you can make your PC as secure as you want but your Intel (or AMD in some cases,) processor is 100% accessible to the right people with the right keys. As long as it's made with 1's and 0's, it can be hacked given enough time. That is an unavoidable fact.

Also, does anyone remember "the Fappening"? Hundreds and hundreds of A-list celebrities had their iPhones or Apple accounts hacked and personal lewd and delicious photos were spread across the internet. This was done by a hacker, by A SINGLE hacker. There were a lot of questions about the security of Apple's server farms after that event. All that is to say, Apple is not known for their Fort Knox security and in all likelihood are in bed with the NSA. Yes, the NSA - the mysterious group with the supercomputer pre-cog quietly building a profile of your digital life.

Open question - does the FBI not have a cyber forensics team? It seems so odd that they tried to break in by guessing the password instead of, ya know, hacking in to the phone cause they're the bloody FBI?

The problem there is, the Apple iPhone encoding is pretty strong... yes you can crack it, but I doubt the FBI has that much time in order to round up the rest of the SB gang before they hit again.

I can see this having huge repercussions with Apple losing support from some law abiding citizens. And yes, I can see even more criminals buying Apple to safeguard their activities. And if the governments start to really fight Apple because of numerous instances it could really end badly for Apple. Not a good situation.

• Like 4

If your equipment is company equipment than the company IT gurus know the loggins, thats the difference here.

and apple build the damn thing, i do not believe for a second they could not physically do it,

and apple build the damn thing, i do not believe for a second they could not physically do it,

Did Apple stated that they cannot?

The problem there is, the Apple iPhone encoding is pretty strong... yes you can crack it, but I doubt the FBI has that much time in order to round up the rest of the SB gang before they hit again.

Correct. Smart phones now are almost impenetrable for the average hacker/s***head. That includes local PD and apparently the FBI. But don't think for a second that you're safe from a warrant: your phone manufacturer has all the backdoor keys. Android, Apple, doesn't matter. The NSA helped develop the kernel (brain of the operating system,) used in Linux and Android is heavily based on Linux. Take from that what you will.

Edit to add--

The first posts of the day are always half-thoughts lol. So to any one still reading, QuestionMark brought up a simple yet great point about this article which is "time". The FBI probably is quite capable of hacking a smart phone but the amount of time it would take to decrypt everything or otherwise brute force your way in is something they don't have the luxury of. We're talking potentially weeks per phone, depending on the level of security. Hacking is not at all what they show on CSI: Miami - it's more like programs trying to take over other programs.

Edited by Dark_Grey

they refused to do it, didn't they?

Physically they can do it but they refused.

• Like 2

I can see this having huge repercussions with Apple losing support from some law abiding citizens. And yes, I can see even more criminals buying Apple to safeguard their activities. .

lol. i do not see Apple losing support from some law abiding citizens, hell i see their support increase for telling big guy f off.

do you not see anyone but the criminals wanting to keep their data safe? how about businesses secrets, or medical\lawyers client confidential data?? or dosens of others reasons, in your mind anyone who does not want their phone data revealed, must be a criminal. boy they sure conditioned you good.

• Like 3

And just to add, the San Bernardino attack was on 02DEC and the iphone had been found around that date. So, 2 and a half

month have been passed already and maybe usefull data to prevent from other attacks is locked since then. As I`ve said already,

where is the f problem to send over 2 agents with the iphone to Apple for the read out. 2 and a half month wasted with political

and judicial ping-pong but no common sense here. Its ridiculous.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

i agree, something does not seem right here, apparently getting things done is not their priority. seems like they want to have unrestricted access to anyone's i phone data remotely.

• Like 3

i agree, something does not seem right here, apparently getting things done is not their priority. seems like they want to have unrestricted access to anyone's i phone data remotely.

That's what I smell also. It isn't enough to just get the info on that phone, they want to keys to the encryption. Sticky place for Apple. They need to protect trade secrets and intellectual property but they also have an obligation to the countries they sell to for helping maintain law and order. The outcome of this one could be far reaching. It sounds to me like the US government should hire some of the Apple software/hacker types to work for them ;)

Apple does not want to create a back door that can be used to access sensitive encrypted information. Seems smart.

I smell it is a marketing strategy. The Apple shares go downhill as the global market for smartphones stagnate in general.

Dozens of features have been developed and implement and it seems that there will not be something extraordinary

developed in the near future. On the other hand, millions of ppl are pi**** meanwhile to have a spy in their pocket that can

be accessed by a third party. If Apple will stay on the way to do not hand out the keys, they will generate a very powerfull

reason to buy for their smart phones because even ppl who own a non-Apple phone would change to Apple for the reason

of privacy protection.