Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mtn. lion snatches dog being walked on leash

mountain lion dachshund broadlake view leash colorado

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,281 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has euthanized a mountain lion that grabbed a Dachshund from the end of its owner's leash and subsequently killed and ate it.

The terrifying incident happened last Wednesday on Broadlake View in a gated foothills community near The Broadmoor. "The mountain lion came out from some bushes that are in close proximity to the street that he was walking on, grabbed the Dachshund, and tucked and pulled hard enough to yank the leash out of his hand," explained Michael Seraphin, spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

http://www.koaa.com/...ar-broadmoor/#_

http://www.dailymail...s-DOG-walk.html

Posted Image

#2    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

• Today is tomorrows yesterday, and yesterdays tomorrow.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ouch!

#3    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Lion: 1
Ankle biter: 0

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Sounds unusually hungry or just opportunistic?
Poor dog. Poor cat.

#5    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I feel sorry for all involved.  Dog got eaten, human lost his pet, and the mountain lion was only doing what it needed to survive.  I'm sure domestic animals taste better than vermin.

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,716 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

People want to live in the wild but they don't want deal with the wildlife. Coyotes were taking dogs off leaches in a golf course community here, but they just told people to be careful when they walk their dogs.  People in another community are having bear problems.  They tell them to keep the trash inside, but some idiot on TV was yelling something needs to be done. My thought was if you don't like the wildlife move into the city.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,825 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

People want to live in the wild but they don't want deal with the wildlife. Coyotes were taking dogs off leaches in a golf course community here, but they just told people to be careful when they walk their dogs.  People in another community are having bear problems.  They tell them to keep the trash inside, but some idiot on TV was yelling something needs to be done. My thought was if you don't like the wildlife move into the city.

I couldn't agree with you more! We enjoy all kinds of wildlife where we live and we adapt to them instead of trying to eradicate them.

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,322 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Lake Tahoe....

Bears...

Strike 1, digging in garbage.....Captured, tagged, re-located.

Strike 2. Tagged bear found in neighborhoods....Killed...Has happened numerous times now.

Sucks.......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

This kind of thing infuriates me. The rich around here spend tons of money to build in the foothills then get angry when the moose, elk and deer migrate down from the high mountains for the winter and eat their roses. They cant seem to comprehend wild animals cant shop at the grocery store.

They also cant grasp the concept of wildfires in wild lands burning down their mansions every few years.  But they do understand the concept of government disaster aid giving them money to rebuild.

#10    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,322 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

View Postevancj, on 23 March 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

This kind of thing infuriates me. The rich around here spend tons of money to build in the foothills then get angry when the moose, elk and deer migrate down from the high mountains for the winter and eat their roses. They cant seem to comprehend wild animals cant shop at the grocery store.

They also cant grasp the concept of wildfires in wild lands burning down their mansions every few years.  But they do understand the concept of government disaster aid giving them money to rebuild.

:nw:    :nw:   :nw:   :nw:  :nw:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think it's pretty sad the mountain lion was eutanized. Surely they could have moved it to another area or just scared it off, something other than that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users