Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black hole headed our way!!

Kismit

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• Saru

• Homer

• Bizarro

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately it looks as though this one will pass within a safe distance of our solar system. At 6000 light years away, and at well under the speed of light, the newly spotted black hole will not reach us for an extremely long time, even if it was on a direct course for our solar system. In fact, the point at which it would arrive is so far into the future, that it would be unlikely to pose much of a threat to us when it did get here.

It does raise another question though - there could be other black holes a lot nearer to us than we know of, ones that we have simply not yet detected. It will be interesting to find out just how many black holes there are in the vicinity of our local cluster, and whether any of them really do pose a threat to life on earth.

wow, that would be one hell of a ride though. could you imagine the whole world going into a black hole? would be like a wacky LSD trip- not that i know what that is like but i can imagine :)

I was thinking more along the lines of having the oportunity to study black holes a little closer . Perhaps even send a probe out to meet it.

Homer , Yeah I know................

Probes are cool 8)