Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the cure for almost constant anguish?

ouija ouija

Recently there have been several topics in UM that have particularly troubled me. They were about animal misuse and abuse. They immediately made me feel really down and they played on my mind. I am 60, and this abuse of animals(and humans too), seems neverending ..... it seems to have been around forever. The sheer number of miserable, pain-filled lives around the world, overwhelms me. It seems that even when some horror lessens or even stops altogether, a new one appears somewhere else. Sometimes it feels as if there will never be an end to the new horrors and tortures that humans can think up and then inflict upon the weak. It makes me feel as if I don't belong here and that the only time I will have relief is when I am dead.

So what I am asking for help with is this: how do I learn to cope, on a daily basis, with this excruciating anguish that, on occasion, makes me feel almost suicidal?

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 8

The cure for the worlds pain is more people like YOU.

Hold onto that because it's so important.

Keep being you!

• Like 8

Always remember that there are fewer of these people then there are people like you, people who care not only about others, but about all life.

• Like 2

I know what you mean ouija. I recently saw a very beautiful film titled Samsara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770802/ This movie goes all over the world showing many things ranging from natural wonders, beautiful ceremonies and dancing, human suffering, different cultures many many many things, all presentend visually with no naration in 70mm. One of the more troubling things in the film were a series of scenes that showed chinese food proccesing factories. Oh to be incarnated as one of those chickens :cry:

Don't let that put you off of the film though, it's very great and shows you the good and the bad. It also gives you an idea of just how many people there are. At the end we all just sat there going whoa! The first really cohesive thought I had was 'what was God thinking?'

I guess we all have to exist in our own microcosms of the macrocosm and do what we can and hope that others will do the same.

But chin up ouija, don't let the world get you too down.

Edited by OverSword

The cure for the worlds pain is more people like YOU.

Hold onto that because it's so important.

Keep being you!

Always remember that there are fewer of these people then there are people like you, people who care not only about others, but about all life.

Thank you both. I know what you say is true, it's just that I can't seem to keep those thoughts uppermost in my mind ...... they are so easily overwhelmed by the weight of the bad things.

I know what you mean ouija. I recently saw a very beautiful film titled Samsara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770802/ This movie goes all over the world showing many things ranging from natural wonders, beautiful ceremonies and dancing, human suffering, different cultures many many many things, all presentend visually with no naration in 70mm. One of the more troubling things in the film were a series of scenes that showed chinese food proccesing factories. Oh to be incarnated as one of those chickens :cry:

Don't let that put you off of the film though, it's very great and shows you the good and the bad. It also gives you an idea of just how many people there are. At the end we all just sat there going whoa! The first really cohesive thought I had was 'what was God thinking?'

I guess we all have to exist in our own microcosms of the macrocosm and do what we can and hope that others will do the same.

But chin up ouija, don't let the world get you too down.

Thank you too. I don't think I could face that film at the moment, though. I wish I could 'exist in my own microcosm' but you know the saying: 'what the eye has seen, it can't un-see'. I wish I could stop the world from getting me down, but that's why I started this topic, horrible things just keep stacking up and there isn't anywhere near enough good stuff to balance it out.

I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point my awareness sort of stretched out around the world and 'stuck'. I can't reel it in again ....... does that make sense?

• Like 1

Have been there.. These feelings have a terrible terrible ability to make the world seem dark or bleak, but they are yours to control, and can be let go.

I found the best way to get rid of this anguish was to anylyse it for what it really was. These feelings when you come to truely undertand them are yours. They dont really come from the outside world at all, even though they risen from within you by outside influences...

Once you understand this, it becomes easy to get rid of this anguish. All you need do is to realise that it is a form of self torture, then simply let it go.

Letting it go may sound a difficult thing to do now.. But the trick is really understanding it's source, which is within you. Self analysis is key.. Just sit down and relax for a while, feel the anquish, embrace it, know that it is not something external, know that it is yours and within you to use, abuse, or let go.. By use, I mean it's possible to provoke positive change in the world and your life though these feelings (but it is still a good idea to let them go).. By abuse, I mean you can let it fester and grow (but this is very self destructive). And by letting go, I mean you can simply dismiss it and send it away.. Sure it will rise again in the future, but only briefly when needed, and only for positive need.

Hope this helps.. :)

Edited by Professor T

Recently there have been several topics in UM that have particularly troubled me. They were about animal misuse and abuse. They immediately made me feel really down and they played on my mind. I am 60, and this abuse of animals(and humans too), seems neverending ..... it seems to have been around forever. The sheer number of miserable, pain-filled lives around the world, overwhelms me. It seems that even when some horror lessens or even stops altogether, a new one appears somewhere else. Sometimes it feels as if there will never be an end to the new horrors and tortures that humans can think up and then inflict upon the weak. It makes me feel as if I don't belong here and that the only time I will have relief is when I am dead.

So what I am asking for help with is this: how do I learn to cope, on a daily basis, with this excruciating anguish that, on occasion, makes me feel almost suicidal?

not to sound simplistic, but strive to be the opposite influence in the world.

that is all you can do.

• Like 2

Maybe try to challenge those thoughts that cause you anguish and cast them out by replacing them with thoughts of the good that is in this world. Take it one step at a time.

Have a hug too (((hug)))

• Like 1

Hope this helps.. :)

Yes ....... I believe it does :)

not to sound simplistic, but strive to be the opposite influence in the world.

that is all you can do.

Thank you. Yes, I do try to do that but sometimes it just seems so inneffective. You're right, but it's so hard when you can't see any results.

Maybe try to challenge those thoughts that cause you anguish and cast them out by replacing them with thoughts of the good that is in this world. Take it one step at a time.

Have a hug too (((hug)))

Hug.gif

• Like 2

Hey Ouijax2,

How about some good news:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235187

We can't give up hope. If we do what happens then?

As I said, keep up the good work, keep fighting the good fight, you know there are 'kindred spirits' here and there are others all around you.

Yes, well done Costa Rica.

It has been helpful to have all you kindred spirits respond so positively ....... thank you all :tsu:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 2

I feel affected by certain things as well (maybe not to the same extent as yourself). Certain threads about parents beheading and hacking up their kids I can't even bring myself to open because I know exactly how it's going to make me feel reading about it. It may not be for everyone, but that's how I avoid the unnecessary sadness and pain.

You may not have the power to affect the big global picture, but change what you have the power to change and take care of yourself because you deserve and have every right to be here. Keep helping the world in your way and making it a better place for everyone and everything.

• Like 2

Yes, well done Costa Rica.

It has been helpful to have all you kindred spirtits respond so positively ....... thank you all :tsu:

We're all in this together.

• Like 2

If you let the media make you fear, feel disgust, sadness, or all in one then you are a tool. Don't get me wrong some take their distaste and turn it into a cause while using their own resources to further it. Although if the idea is to feel crummy then turn on another piece of media to feel good it doesn't seem as healthy.

Millions of people do the right thing given whatever conditions they are in and many others persevere. Those stories outnumber the sensationalistic ones except they are not stories, they are real, more real than the horrible world that is presented

Hi Ouija Ouija,

Hope you're okay. I get down too with all the "doom and gloom" in the news. So, what I try to do is look around and see the good things going on around me.. for instance seeing my little grandsons smile cheers me up no end. What Bling said is sound advice, try and consciously watch your 'thoughts" and see if you are feeding yourself with unnecessary repetitive themes. If your anxiety starts to get too much CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can really help and your GP can help you with that. I also put the comedy Chanel on to try and lighten up my mood when I feel down.. Mrs Browns boys is one of my favourites :lol:

Here is a link on CBT http://www.rcpsych.a...tments/cbt.aspx :st

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

this is how i approach life...... my philosophy is the life each day of life with the sole purpose of making it a better place for me, family, friends, and those around me.. and doing this whatever way I can... be it, a hug, a kind gesture to a stranger, a wave, letting someone cut in line with fewer items... just the small things. Love constantly and laugh often. Also focus on the beauty of life and miraculous events such as birth, growth, and change that we see everyday yet often take for granted.. right now in my neck of the woods, we are going through autumn and all the beautiful arrangements of color that nature has provided us with through the trees, the flowers, the grass, and the sky.. what better way to start and end a day than with the natural beauty that is all around us. I would also suggest keeping a positive outlook on life, it is essential to know the pains of the world.... but NOT to dwell on them.. that way we know goodness, kindess, and blessings that we come across in our lives when we see it.. sort of a measuring point. Hope this bit of information helps you out... and your days are more productive and happy ones filled with love and laughter.

• Like 2

If you let the media make you fear, feel disgust, sadness, or all in one then you are a tool. Don't get me wrong some take their distaste and turn it into a cause while using their own resources to further it. Although if the idea is to feel crummy then turn on another piece of media to feel good it doesn't seem as healthy.

Millions of people do the right thing given whatever conditions they are in and many others persevere. Those stories outnumber the sensationalistic ones except they are not stories, they are real, more real than the horrible world that is presented

Thank you. That put some perspective on the situation ....... uplifting.

Hi Ouija Ouija,

Hope you're okay. I get down too with all the "doom and gloom" in the news. So, what I try to do is look around and see the good things going on around me.. for instance seeing my little grandsons smile cheers me up no end. What Bling said is sound advice, try and consciously watch your 'thoughts" and see if you are feeding yourself with unnecessary repetitive themes. If your anxiety starts to get too much CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can really help and your GP can help you with that. I also put the comedy Chanel on to try and lighten up my mood when I feel down.. Mrs Browns boys is one of my favourites :lol:

Here is a link on CBT http://www.rcpsych.a...tments/cbt.aspx :st

Well, I was disappointed that the link wasn't to Mrs Brown's Boys <_< ...... haha, only joking!

I am very good at seeing positive things around me, but I can make no connection between that and all the bad things that depress me. Both are part of the way I view the world. I have tried CBT but it didn't work for me ...... somebody took a basically good idea and killed it by making it waaay too complicated! Thanks for your suggestions though.

this is how i approach life...... my philosophy is the life each day of life with the sole purpose of making it a better place for me, family, friends, and those around me.. and doing this whatever way I can... be it, a hug, a kind gesture to a stranger, a wave, letting someone cut in line with fewer items... just the small things. Love constantly and laugh often. Also focus on the beauty of life and miraculous events such as birth, growth, and change that we see everyday yet often take for granted.. right now in my neck of the woods, we are going through autumn and all the beautiful arrangements of color that nature has provided us with through the trees, the flowers, the grass, and the sky.. what better way to start and end a day than with the natural beauty that is all around us. I would also suggest keeping a positive outlook on life, it is essential to know the pains of the world.... but NOT to dwell on them.. that way we know goodness, kindess, and blessings that we come across in our lives when we see it.. sort of a measuring point. Hope this bit of information helps you out... and your days are more productive and happy ones filled with love and laughter.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I do all the things you mention :) . I live in a country village close to the sea, in a peaceful neighbourhood. I have a garden that lots of different birds(and other wildlife), visit; the air is fresh with sea winds ...... I appreciate all that every day, I really do, but this 'anguish' is something very deep and it isn't touched or affected by all the lovely stuff :( .

A doctor said to me "You've got nothing to be depressed about!", and more or less showed me the door. What he said was true of course, but he completely missed the point, which I guess can be summed up by the Buddhist saying: 'How can you be happy when a single creature is still unhappy?' This is a saying that has haunted me since I first heard it when I was in my teens, some 40+ yrs ago.

• Like 1

Currently I have a lot of internal changes going on ..... mentally? spiritually? psychologically? (not sure what the right term would be). Generally speaking my thoughts are very wide-ranging and flexible, but every once in a while they get stuck down a 'blind alley'. It's been lovely to have everyone's input here. Even if I've thought "oh no, I don't agree with that" or "I know that doesn't work for me", that's still movement ........ to mix my metaphors: the 'blind alley' has been 'stagnant'!

It's been really helpful to read your contributions ...... and I can feel good stuff coming from you, above and beyond what you've posted ...... YAY, U.M. Community !! :clap:

• Like 3

Thank you. That put some perspective on the situation ....... uplifting.

Well, I was disappointed that the link wasn't to Mrs Brown's Boys <_< ...... haha, only joking!

I am very good at seeing positive things around me, but I can make no connection between that and all the bad things that depress me. Both are part of the way I view the world. I have tried CBT but it didn't work for me ...... somebody took a basically good idea and killed it by making it waaay too complicated! Thanks for your suggestions though.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I do all the things you mention :) . I live in a country village close to the sea, in a peaceful neighbourhood. I have a garden that lots of different birds(and other wildlife), visit; the air is fresh with sea winds ...... I appreciate all that every day, I really do, but this 'anguish' is something very deep and it isn't touched or affected by all the lovely stuff :( .

A doctor said to me "You've got nothing to be depressed about!", and more or less showed me the door. What he said was true of course, but he completely missed the point, which I guess can be summed up by the Buddhist saying: 'How can you be happy when a single creature is still unhappy?' This is a saying that has haunted me since I first heard it when I was in my teens, some 40+ yrs ago.

Hi again!

Ouija I am a qualified CBT Counsellor and also a qualified Psychotherapist. The statement that I've highlighted would be my starting point with you and maybe this is where some of your anxiety stems from! By the way CBT can appear complex but it really depends on the Therapist to make the sessions uncomplicated and relaxed, so it sounds like to me that the Therapist you saw wasn't right for you. I hope you find peace of mind. :tu:

• Like 2

Do you know what sutra or shastra that is from? I have never heard it before. It sounds like a revsion of the bodhisattva ideal where one pospones ones own enlightment until all other beings are enlightened That's different than denying yourself happiness.

The bodhisatta expression "may all sentient beings be free from suffering" does not deny your own happiness.

I have tried CBT but it didn't work for me ...... somebody took a basically good idea and killed it by making it waaay too complicated! Thanks for your suggestions though.

That "basically good idea" is called Vipassana or mindfulness meditation. It's the underlying foundation for Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).

Anyways, cultural changes take a long time. Slavery was only abolished (in most countries) in the 19th century. Ditto for child labor laws and womans emanicipation. Animal welfare laws are also recent and will take time to spread.

• Like 2

Erm.... Ouija Ouija is not a tool

• Like 1

I understand what you are going through. I just try to help one person at a time, be kind of one animal at a time, enjoy life as it comes and because I am a Christian I lift up all of creation to a loving God.....why things are the way they are, don' know, that only makes me search my faith deeper and not give in to despair. Prayer for me is a connection a link to all. Some think that is crazy, well let them :P

Peace

mark

• Like 3

Hey sweetie I can't tell you how to get out of your funk, but this song helps me calm myself. I watch TED talks and this guy wrote this song for a girl that had moved and was very anxious, it's a beautifully simple song. So stop the movies in your head (easier said than done) turn up the volume and just breath.....Loving thoughts your way

http://www.zefrank.com/chillout/

• Like 1