Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New lunar crater named after Amelia Earhart

Waspie_Dwarf

New lunar crater named after aviation pioneer Earhart

Scientists have discovered a large crater on the Earth-facing side of the Moon - the first detection of its kind in at least a century.

The previously unknown structure has been named after aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart - the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.

The 200km-wide buried crater was found in data from Nasa's Grail spacecraft, which mapped the Moon's gravity field.

The results were presented at a major scientific meeting in Texas.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Why? Do they think that's where she ended up?

Why? Did you think your post was witty?

Lunar craters are frequently named after famous scientists and explorers. Amelia Earhart is a famous explorer, therefore naming a lunar crater after here is in keeping with the convention.

Why? Did you think your post was witty?

Lunar craters are frequently named after famous scientists and explorers. Amelia Earhart is a famous explorer, therefore naming a lunar crater after here is in keeping with the convention.

I understand what you are saying but as a former aviator, I can't say I agree that honoring someone, who died because their plane crashed, with a crater is the best way of going about it. I hope you see the irony here?

• Like 1

I hope you see the irony here?

What I see is you being rather over sensitive and putting forward a rather silly argument.

She is in good company, there is a crater on the lunar far-side called Komarov, name after the Soyuz 1 cosmonaut killed after the parachute on his capsule failed. The cosmonaut and astronaut community had no problems with it.

There are also other craters named after aviators including, Lindbergh and Byrd.

What I see is you being rather over sensitive and putting forward a rather silly argument.

Yeah, well you never did a mishap investigation with a crater at ground zero. Just sayin'

I was at this presentation! Yeah GRAIL.