Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fiction Recommendations

littlelucky

Hey everyone!

I found a used book store on a recent trip and snagged a copy of "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland. It begins in the late 70s, and centers around a group of friends, one who has a precognition of a major disaster. It's an easy and entertaining read. What've you read, that you'd recommend?

I just read the wrong man from john katzenbach... good.. but I wanted something more... scary... heart stopping!!! ^_^

what do you recomend me?

I just read the wrong man from john katzenbach... good.. but I wanted something more... scary... heart stopping!!! ^_^

what do you recomend me?

Anything by HP Lovecraft...

IMO he makes Stephen King's stories read like "Rebecca of Sunnybrooke Farm"...

• Like 4

I love the victorian ghost stories of M. R. James -- if you can get past the flowery language, some of his stories are quite horrifying!

HP Lovecraft is rather frightening too, Taun -- I'll have to take him down from the shelf this weekend. I'll check out "The Wrong Man" too!

Speaking of Stephen King, his son is a writer as well -- he wrote a book called "Heart Shaped Box" which was about a man who bought a haunted suit on Ebay, as well as a collection of short stories called "Twentieth Century Ghosts." Some of them are a bit too gory for me -- I always appreciate something spooky over a story of human beings that are awful to each other.

Edited to add: the author of Heart Shaped Box & Twentieth Century Ghosts goes by the name of Joe Hill.

Edited by littlelucky

I probably should have made my last post from a different thread on this thread. haha. I too am looking for good horror fiction. I would recommend Beneath Still Waters By: Ray Garton and Isolation By: Travis Thrasher. :)

A very good author I've recently discovered is Walter John Williams. I'm currently reading his novel titled Aristoi, but can't review it yet as I'm not even on page 200 yet. However I did read a 1981 novel of his entitled Voice of the Whirlwind. The plot synopsis on wikipedia is;

Etienne Steward is a clone, also known as a beta. When he awakes, his memories are fifteen years old, because the original Steward -- the alpha -- never bothered to have a brain-scan update.

In those fifteen years, the entire world has changed. An alien race known as The Powers has established relations with humanity. The Orbital Policorp which held his allegiance has collapsed. He fought and survived the off-world Artifacts War, but dozens of his friends did not. Both his first and second wives have divorced him.

More importantly, someone has murdered him, causing the activation of the beta back-up. Now Steward has to figure out who wanted him dead, if he doesn't want to die again.

I highly recomend this book.

I probably should have made my last post from a different thread on this thread. haha. I too am looking for good horror fiction. I would recommend Beneath Still Waters By: Ray Garton and Isolation By: Travis Thrasher. :)

Matthew J. Costello --- Would this be the author by any chance of Beneath still waters? I was looking to see the cover of the book and didnt find it under Mr. Ray Garton.. only M. Costello..

I am asking because I wanted to double check..thanks!

Some of my favorite fiction is by Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman.

The book they wrote together, Good Omens is one of my favorites period.

I've always enjoyed Clive Cussler's books as well.

Jim Butcher's another one I enjoy, combing pulp detective stories and magic.

THen of course there's the classics. Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlocke Holmes for the win!

• Like 1

Fiction? Jules Verne :)

• 3 months later...

Best book EVER!

I picked up author Gregory Lamberson last year. I've read 3 of his books Johnny Gruesome & from the occult detective horror series The Jake Helman Files (Persona Demons & Desperate Souls)

• Like 1

Recently, I read 'Interview with the Vampire' by Anne Rice and 'Pandaemonium' by Christopher Brookmyre, both great reads but Anne Rice does go on and on sometimes.

Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' I really really enjoyed.

Also, my all time favourite book ever: Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'.

one of the coolest books i've read in a while is clive barker's weaveworld. it's an old story, but well written and engaging.

i have over two thousand books in my library, topics ranging from gardening to life after death, and everything in between.

right now i'm into biographies - i'm thinking of tackling the queen's bio next, although it's like a million pages long!

edit to add:

anything by ray bradbury gets my vote too!

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

A Year and a Day. I forgot the name of the author but it is about two angels whom are sent to earth, Veangeance and Joy, and they fall in love. A good story and fun to read.

--

Also, my all time favourite book ever: Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'.

Awesome book Dr Strange. I'd recommend this to everyone as well. Simply superb! :tu: None of the film adaptations have done the original book justice, not that this is uncommon for film adaptations of course.

On top of that great choice, I'd recommend just about anything by Tom Clancy or Frank Herbert. Another of my favorite authors is R.A. Salvatore, for any who are into fantasy at all. And if you are... then of course you must read Tolkien.

But if I were to pick 4 of my all time favorite pieces of fiction, strangely they would be these...

The Walking Drum

Deathwatch

Tarzan of the Apes

Dune

I've read better books, but these all had a significant impact on my early appreciation for fiction in general. Other honorable mentions, along the same line:

First Blood

Conan the Barbarian (and the many additional books/short stories)

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (series)

The Sword of Shannara

Crikey... I could go on forever. :hmm:

So many good books out there!

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone!

I found a used book store on a recent trip and snagged a copy of "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland. It begins in the late 70s, and centers around a group of friends, one who has a precognition of a major disaster. It's an easy and entertaining read. What've you read, that you'd recommend?

I recommend 'The Last Vampire - Christopher Pike', Words cant describe how utterly fantastic it is. Its been released in an omnibus series now caleld thirst but it also continues on the story.

Enjoy

best fiction I've read this year:

Peter Straub - A Dark Matter

Steven Hall - The Raw Shark Texts

Philip K Dick - Valis

Philip K Dick - The Divine Invasion

Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Monster Men

Cormac McCarthy - The Road

I've always enjoyed Clive Cussler's books as well.

Jim Butcher's another one I enjoy, combing pulp detective stories and magic.

THen of course there's the classics. Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlocke Holmes for the win!

I love Neil Gaiman, and Good Omens is hilarious. I think everyone should read it. . .My favorite of his was always American Gods and Anansi Boys. . .Neverwhere is good, too. . .Eh, pretty much anything by him is awesome, I guess. :lol:

And if you like Neil Gaiman, DEFINITELY pick up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. It's got the funny footnotes like Good Omens and is a very good read. Some parts are dry (for me, at least) but when it's good, it's REALLY good.

Clive Barker books are also good. I love his "children's" series Abarat, which is so awesomely strange, but not quite as mind blowingly strange as, say Imajica.

I have also heard many good things about War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, but I haven't been able to get a copy yet. It's been on my reading list forever, though.

For a more light read in urban fantasy, I'd say Tithe; Ironside; and Valiant from Holly Black's "Modern Faerie Tale" series are just hands down the best. They may be teen books, but I think they really do well in representing urban fantasy and what it should be at a base level. As turned off by them as I was when I read what they were "about" (along with the fact that they were teen books and I'm semi ashamed of myself for even wondering into that section of the bookstore) I think they are probably some of my favorite light reads. Just complex enough to hold my attention, but not so much that I can't sit down and read one in an afternoon if I so choose.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

one of the coolest books i've read in a while is clive barker's weaveworld. it's an old story, but well written and engaging.

i have over two thousand books in my library, topics ranging from gardening to life after death, and everything in between.

right now i'm into biographies - i'm thinking of tackling the queen's bio next, although it's like a million pages long!

edit to add:

anything by ray bradbury gets my vote too!

Clive Barker is awesome. Have you read his Books of Blood?

Parts of King's 'The Shining' freaked me out: those dang topiary animals.

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Turn Of The Screw by Henry James

The Island Of Dr Moreau by H.G. Wells

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber

1984 by George Orwell

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney

Day Of The Triffids by John Wyndham

The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

Hell House by Richard Matheson

Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon

The Other by Thomas Tryon

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

The Shining by Stephen King

Salems Lot by Stephen King

Cujo by Stephen King

Pet Semetary by Stephen King

IT by Stephen King

Cold Moon Over Babylon by Michael McDowell

The Elementals by Michael McDowell

Find a nice comfy seat every night to read these books and be prepared to be scared out of your wits. These novels are the scariest nailbiting reads I have ever read.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mercedes Lackey, C.J. Cherry, Terry Brooks, Tad Williams (Dragon bone chair) read the whole series about 5 times. Just to name a few. I love to read. I enjoy experiencing other people's imagination.

I forgot one book on my favorite lists of best horror / fantasy novels I have ever read:

Lovers Living, Lovers Dead by Richard Lortz

Just got done with Conni Willis's "Doomsday Book" - highly recommended (As I would recommend anything by Willis).

Reading "Make Room! Make Room!" right now (People know it better by the name of the movie that was made out of it - "Soylent Green").

• Like 1