Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Instant ban for bad eyesight drivers

Still Waters

Motorists in south Wales could lose their licences immediately if their eyesight is found to be too poor, as police introduce random checks.

Drivers in Talbot Green, Cardiff, Aberdare and Rhondda will be asked to read the registration plate of a vehicle parked 20m (65ft) away.

New technology set up by the DVLA and police means a licence can be revoked in hours, whereas it used to take days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-21612397

Wonder when they will start scanning our brains to see what we are thinking or hiding.

Well that's an other dream scarpered if I live in South Wales.

It just goes to show how near- sighted drivers can be so amiss in leaving their glasses at home.

But if this is a complete blanket ban it's making opticians look incompetent.

The eye tests offered by the likes of Specsavers and such are so thorough that they know which glasses suit your eyes.

If you've experienced one you know that they do a lot more than reading letters on a chart.

This is the first thing I would do if I've got aspirations of driving a car.

I wouldn't anyway because of all the tax,insurance and the cursed MOT that I have to shell out for.

This is very discouraging news for any near- sighted drivers about to splash the cash.

And so they should be because I doubt they want to cause accidents on the road.

Unless their brains are all over the place.

Edited by Medium Brown

I agree. I don't see why people who can't see well should be driving. They could run over a child

I agree. I don't see why people who can't see well should be driving. They could run over a child

Well I'm going to display a difference of opinion here.

It could be that what they are doing here is tarring all short- drived drivers with the same brush.

You do need to think of the children but common sense needs to be applied as well.

Why don't they instead of this put every near- sighted driver in the database.

I know it's not an exact science because one or two of them will naturally fly the radar.

They should have details of how near- sighted you are on a questionnaire.

So you'll have a special type of driving licence which you can show to the car salesman.

When you purchase your car he reports it to the police so it's on a watch list.

Not the best thing I could think of but I'm an advocate of disabled people's rights.

But it would go a long way to stopping traffic congestion in it's tracks with it's original premise.

However there's no way a colour- blinded person should be anywhere a steering wheel.

They would confuse the green and red lights and cause many fender- benders.

Edited by Medium Brown

Here we have restrictions on our licences. I wear glasses and that is stated on my licence. If I was pulled over and didn't have them on, I would get a fine. If I was in an accident, I would be at fault for not following my restriction.

• Like 3

Wonder when they will start scanning our brains to see what we are thinking or hiding.

Tee Hee. You have silly thoughts. :alien:

Here we have restrictions on our licences. I wear glasses and that is stated on my licence. If I was pulled over and didn't have them on, I would get a fine. If I was in an accident, I would be at fault for not following my restriction.

Actually, that's not a bad system.

However there's no way a colour- blinded person should be anywhere a steering wheel.

That's why the red light is always on top in the US. You may not be able to see the color but you can see the light.

• Like 1

That's why the red light is always on top in the US. You may not be able to see the color but you can see the light.

The Americans have really got their eyes on the ball here.

It's like killing two stones at the same time for lack of a better word.

I took an educated guess of what they should do in South Wales without realising you were doing it all this time.

If I decided not only to get a driving license but to drive on your roads I will get a decent crack of the whip.

It's little things like this make we wonder why my country keeps going two steps backward.

And not only that but having your cars automatic rather than manual is an other advantage.

I'm beginning to question the wisdom of my posts in that earlier thread.

It just goes to show much I've got to learn.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Well I'm going to display a difference of opinion here.

It could be that what they are doing here is tarring all short- drived drivers with the same brush.

You do need to think of the children but common sense needs to be applied as well.

Why don't they instead of this put every near- sighted driver in the database.

I know it's not an exact science because one or two of them will naturally fly the radar.

They should have details of how near- sighted you are on a questionnaire.

So you'll have a special type of driving licence which you can show to the car salesman.

When you purchase your car he reports it to the police so it's on a watch list.

Not the best thing I could think of but I'm an advocate of disabled people's rights.

But it would go a long way to stopping traffic congestion in it's tracks with it's original premise.

All a colored blind person need is remember how the lights are stacked. Here in the usa red is on top green on bottom. If they're side to side' red on the left and green on right.

Howevery, if you brits. Come here or we go there for a visit, no one should drive because we all know that you brits. Drive on the wr

All a colored blind person need is remember how the lights are stacked. Here in the usa red is on top green on bottom. If they're side to side' red on the left and green on right.

Howevery, if you brits. Come here or we go there for a visit, no one should drive because we all know that you brits. Drive on the wr

I'm beginning to think our traffic lights have a seriously rubbish design.

They are not exactly colour- blond conscious with them being vertical.

But would they adapt the American model and make it something worthy of the taxpayers expense for once.

However they have makeshift traffic lights in the UK when they are doing maintenance on the road.

You can't exactly hang up the American style traffic lights at a moment's notice.

However it would be no extra expense if near- blinded drivers adopted what should be adopted.

Btw there's no quick fix to sort out the disorientation when driving on a side you are not used to.

However driving an automatic car should halve the problem.

Edited by Medium Brown

I do think that drivers should not be allowed to drive if their eyesight is not up to scratch. But it doesn`t mean that wearing glasses mean you can not see.

Would like to know how the DVLA are going to keep on top of all those who should be wearing glasses? does this mean that all opticians must submit your information to them from now on, whether it be an eye check or someone just buying a pair of new glasses?

I do not wear glasses, so would like to know if this information has to be submitted by law to the DVLA now anyway?

Would just like to know what happens when people wear this:

1815451546.jpg

Edited by freetoroam

Err, so why cannot drivers who are guilty of dangerous driving while being intoxicated (drink/drugs) or just plain stupid also have their licenses - assuming they even have them - revoked immediately?

• Like 2

I'm beginning to think our traffic lights have a seriously rubbish design.

They are not exactly colour- blond conscious with them being vertical.

But would they adapt the American model and make it something worthy of the taxpayers expense for once.

However they have makeshift traffic lights in the UK when they are doing maintenance on the road.

You can't exactly hang up the American style traffic lights at a moment's notice.

However it would be no extra expense if near- blinded drivers adopted what should be adopted.

Btw there's no quick fix to sort out the disorientation when driving on a side you are not used to.

However driving an automatic car should halve the problem.

Here just simple put up temp signs say road work or workers ahead, something like that. Useally followed by a that says slow down. If we need more than that, thay add a flagman.

Err, so why cannot drivers who are guilty of dangerous driving while being intoxicated (drink/drugs) or just plain stupid also have their licenses - assuming they even have them - revoked immediately?

Would love this to happen. But they are not as easy to pick on as some innocent driver wearing a pair of glasses. I knew of one guy who had been given a drink driving ban, he left the court, got straight into his car and drove to the pub!

People who drive against the law are less likely to give a damn about a fine or a ban anyway.

Would love to see some of the rich celebs who have smashed their merc into the back of someone lose their license, but will not hold my breathe on that one.

Would like to know how the DVLA are going to keep on top of all those who should be wearing glasses? does this mean that all opticians must submit your information to them from now on, whether it be an eye check or someone just buying a pair of new glasses?

I do not wear glasses, so would like to know if this information has to be submitted by law to the DVLA now anyway?

Would just like to know what happens when people wear this:

1815451546.jpg

Well the Americans must have found a loophole to get past this.

But I see what you mean about it being very tricky to get the relevant information from the optician.

That's where the special license comes into play because there's nowhere to hide if your not wearing your specs.

If you commit a driving offence the first thing they do is to check to see if your driving license is up to scratch.

The police will know what to look out for if they are aware of these special driving licenses for near- sighted drivers.

However we have got a long way to go with this but women in burkas are definetly flaunting the law.

You can change what you wear but you can't see change the state of your eyes.

However what happens if a woman passes her driving test as Miss Jones.

Then suddenly she's Mrs Ahmed after converting to Islam.

There isn't enough laminate for a driving license especially made for women with Burkas.

They should have said that at first knockings.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

I live in South Wales :cry: I don't drive here though, only in England!

If I remember correctly you do have to tell them you wear glasses when you apply for licence, surely there is a note of that somewhere in your records?

Difficult though if your prescription keeps changing and you have to keep telling the DVLA. I didn't need glasses when I started driving, then I needed them at night only (should that be in my records too?) now I haven't been told this yet but I certainly need them for driving (when you can't read the destination on the front of the bus properly, it's time!)

Maybe they will just do random spot checks (maybe if you get stopped for something else, or if they see you driving a bit erratically), whether or not you're meant to be wearing them, if you can't read the registration number, you've got a problem. Even if you're wearing your glasses and you need new ones!

Edited by Queen in the North