Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ghosts Of Historical Figures

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've always wondered about the Mom too. I don't know if the woman 'made it up' or if she figured it out through her dreams. She may have been suspicious of her daughters husband all along and tried not to think about them or convinced herself she was wrong about him, then when her daughter died (was murdered) she subconsciously put it all together  and told herself the answer through dreams.

Regards,
Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#17    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,680 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostAntilles, on 12 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

The time travel stories are very interesting. I think I know the one you're referring to with Versailles. 2 women were walking near where Marie A had her pretend milking shed or whatever and then they said they were among women and men dressed in 18th century period costume.

There's nothing to envy in my story, believe me. Except for the fact that I was at Hampton Court! But just for that split second,  I honestly didn't know if what I was seeing was real. I have read the stories about Katherine Howard being seen in the long gallery so, you know, maybe my mind was receptive to experience something that I thought was not 'real. I'm not using that as an explanation  for paranormal activity. I can just say in my experience, at that moment in time, what I was listening to and how those 2 women were dressed just for a moment had me considering my options. :geek:

That's the one. It likely is the most famous story about time slips. I would love to be able to visit that time and place just to see what the people looked like back then. The clothing would be interesting, but I would be more interested in their appearances. I read somewhere that the men, who charged the Bastille during the French Revolution, were the size of "girls of twelve" (real comment). The author said that they were about 5'0  and 100 pounds. That's hard to believe. It sounds like one of those midget-forebear stories, and, if it's true, the women must have been around a dwarfish 4'6 in height.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#18    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

People back then were a lot smaller than they are now. 5"3 would have been tall for a man and yeah, 4" something would probably have the norm for most women.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,592 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Is there any rule that says that a ghost can't grow over the centuries?

#20    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,680 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostAntilles, on 13 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

People back then were a lot smaller than they are now. 5"3 would have been tall for a man and yeah, 4" something would probably have the norm for most women.

That's a common misconception. Heights fluctuated over the years. Both men and women were taller before the advent of agriculture. They were a bit taller than modern people. Men were around 5'10, and women were around 5'6. Both genders shrunk about four inches when cities entered the historical scene. Even after that, heights fluctuated. For instance, European men in the Dark Ages were surprisingly tall while poor people during the Industrial Revolution were surprisingly short, especially in the UK. The height gap between rich and poor was the greatest in the historical record in the UK during the Dickens era. For instance, upper class children dwarfed lower class children in much the same way that Dutch children dwarf Guatemalan children. The height difference was that dramatic. It demonstrated that diet (protein intake) was key.

#21    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I did a quick Google search for the phrase "how many humans have died". The first result estimated that since modern humans have existed 106,000,000,000 have kicked the bucket. If.0.001of them hung around we would have 106,000,000 ghosts floating about. Even if there were fewer than one in a thousand there should be ample evidence IMO. Just a thought.

#22    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,635 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 11 February 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

It's like how a lot of our presidents are descended from kings mixed with wild tales regarding Diana. The conspiracy theorists (the Bloodlines variety) would have a field day with that one.
I've heard that every President is related in some way, however distantly. This, to me, is irrefutable proof of the Illuminati.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#23    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,635 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I might take this chance to ask a question about Western ideas. There is a theology of ghosts in Vietnam. These are the spirits of people who died before their predestined time to die (some treacherous violence) and tend as a result to be a bit mean spirited. Most people die more normally and are reborn a few months later (they enter the womb of a baby already partially developed).

Now I know in Western thinking people go to Heaven or Hell, so who are these ghosts?
in old-fashioned traditional Christian thinking, people who'd died unshriven and so hadn't been absolved of their Sins would go into Limbo where they'd have to sort of sweat it out, so that might be a parallel. There's a school of thought that that's what Ghosts are, spirits of people who've died unexpectedly or by Foul means and hadn't been prepared for it.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,592 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 14 February 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

That's a common misconception. Heights fluctuated over the years. Both men and women were taller before the advent of agriculture. They were a bit taller than modern people. Men were around 5'10, and women were around 5'6. Both genders shrunk about four inches when cities entered the historical scene. Even after that, heights fluctuated. For instance, European men in the Dark Ages were surprisingly tall while poor people during the Industrial Revolution were surprisingly short, especially in the UK. The height gap between rich and poor was the greatest in the historical record in the UK during the Dickens era. For instance, upper class children dwarfed lower class children in much the same way that Dutch children dwarf Guatemalan children. The height difference was that dramatic. It demonstrated that diet (protein intake) was key.
Boy the Japanese have sure gotten tall, and I notice a market increase in height of children compared to their elders in Vietnam.  The theory here is that it has to do with calcium, and, since everyone here wants their children to be tall, they constantly stuff them with ice cream (and most of the kids don't object).  I point out that sardines would do as well, but that doesn't go over, unless its on a pizza.

#25    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,889 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

And in Japan I was told that the increased height of Japanese people is due to sitting on a chair, opposed to sitting on the floor/kneeling. They said it would have something to do with the circulation. Sounds weird, I know, but hey, that's what several people told me.

#26    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,680 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 14 February 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I've heard that every President is related in some way, however distantly. This, to me, is irrefutable proof of the Illuminati.

LOL I bet that some folks on this thread are distantly related. You just have to go back a few centuries to find shared ancestors. It would be surprising if Bush and Obama *weren't* extremely distantly related. I'm 10,000th in line to be crowned the next high king of Ireland.

#27    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,680 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 February 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Boy the Japanese have sure gotten tall, and I notice a market increase in height of children compared to their elders in Vietnam.  The theory here is that it has to do with calcium, and, since everyone here wants their children to be tall, they constantly stuff them with ice cream (and most of the kids don't object).  I point out that sardines would do as well, but that doesn't go over, unless its on a pizza.

Look at North Korea and South Korea for dramatic examples. People from the latter country tower people from the former country. It shows that nationality and race play much less important roles in height than individual genes and nutrition do. Groups, like pygmies, are anomalies.

#28    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,680 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

And in Japan I was told that the increased height of Japanese people is due to sitting on a chair, opposed to sitting on the floor/kneeling. They said it would have something to do with the circulation. Sounds weird, I know, but hey, that's what several people told me.

My bet is that changed diets played a larger role. There's more meat and milk consumption now than there was in the past. The Japanese would dwarf the Jamaicans if the Jamaicans were vegetarians. Even now, many wealthy Asians tower many impoverished Americans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users