Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

How many alien civilizations are there ?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#16    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,669 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Four.  I think there's four.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#17    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostOverSword, on 06 December 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

You're not correct MacGuffin.  I used to think just like you but after decades of contemplating, and emotional wishful thinking became logical thinking based on statistics and lack of evidence my own personal conclusion is there is probably much life throughout the universe.  There is probably an extremely (very extremely) small fraction of that life on a very small fraction of those worlds where intelligent civilization building life exists.

Well, let's just put it this way.  I think I have pretty good reasons to make the comments that I do, and just within our neighborhood on the galaxy we have quite a few civilizations.  After all, space-faring civilizations will probably have plenty of time to visit, explore and settle on many worlds over thousands or millions of years.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 06 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#18    Tyrone E. Anthony

Tyrone E. Anthony

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Well, I hope I'm not out of place in saying this, but they are already living right here among us. I'll be publishing hundreds of pictures next year.  You can see samples of my photos taken with a simple mobile phone camera in the unexplained mysteries gallery with more to come.

#19    Alantheanylyst

Alantheanylyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I believe there is intelligent life out there , how advanced and in what quantity , I don't know .

#20    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,162 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 06 December 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

[...]  I think I have pretty good reasons to make the comments that I do, and just within our neighborhood on the galaxy we have quite a few civilizations. [...]
And your reasons are? Gut feeling? You may want to share your "reasons" with SETI guys, so they could point their "eyes/ears" in the right direction.

PS where is the nearest civilization located? And BTW, what do you mean by the neighborhood? 10 light years? 1000 light years? 10000 light years?

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#21    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,638 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostAlantheanylyst, on 06 December 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

I believe there is intelligent life out there , how advanced and in what quantity , I don't know .
We can barely prove there's intelligent life HERE let alone out there.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#22    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

0 That we Know of

#23    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I suspect at a microbial level, we may find substantial evidence in time. But, to use the term civilization implies a relatively high level of human cultural and technological development. Given those constraints, I suspect the probability is low to none that we will find a truly parallel civilization although I hope I am wrong.

#24    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 06 December 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

And your reasons are? Gut feeling? You may want to share your "reasons" with SETI guys, so they could point their "eyes/ears" in the right direction.

PS where is the nearest civilization located? And BTW, what do you mean by the neighborhood? 10 light years? 1000 light years? 10000 light years?

500 light years.

Which SETI guys do you mean, anyway?  The public version of it is being run by clowns.

View Poststevemagegod, on 06 December 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

0 That we Know of

Maybe that you know of.  LOL

#25    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,276 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 07 December 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

500 light years.

Which SETI guys do you mean, anyway?  The public version of it is being run by clowns.

Maybe that you know of.  LOL

Your Right. I forgot the American Government can be counted as a Alien Civilization since we landed on the Moon and all.

#26    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,328 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

42 thats the correct answer ! And I like Nuke_em`s train of thought !
:tsu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#27    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

Considering the vastness of the universe there are probably many. Considering the relatively small "neighborhood" we are in I would guess we are the only ones nearby. Even if there are other intelligent species in our galaxy there would be little reason to visit our planet revolving around a small star. Until recently there would have been no way to detect any intelligence upon our small blue world.

Life may be much more common than we believe currently but intelligent life is a whole different story.

#28    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Have fun with this.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 07 December 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#29    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,883 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

This whole idea is fairly silly really, isn't it, since it's all once great enormous assumption built on a whole string of steadily bigger assumptions. It does seem strange that people who usually set so much importance by what can be scientifically validated seem to accept it, though, even though not one of the assumptions in it can be validated at all. I wonder if one factor behind this might not be that they can use it to come to a conclusion that alien civilisations are very, very few, or perhaps do not exist at all. In fact, it might of course all be irrelevant, since we're finding out more and more about our very own Solar system, and what we're finding out is how little we really know about it. Who knows, worrying about what may exist among the stars might be irrelevant for our purposes. Who can say. :w00t:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#30    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Posted Image

CAREFUL!! THEY BITE!!

Edited by taniwha, 07 December 2012 - 09:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users