Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Petition to make devocalization illegal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Unfortunately this petition is open to US residents only, but I wanted to share this here to make sure that everyone has a chance to sign it. It's a petition to let veterinarians that de-vocalizing dogs AND cats is mutilation. If you aren't quite sure what this is, they basically cut a dog's or cat's vocal cords so they cannot make any noise. It's a cruel and inhumane thing to do to these animals. If they are willing to put a stop to the "cropping" of ears of certain breeds, why won't they stop de-vocalization?

I signed the petition. Will you?

Petition

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

i'd rather see those that abuse animals, really abuse, put in jail, instead of fines, or slap on the wrist punishment. devocalization is nothing next to that, plus it doesn't hurt the animal.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Okay, then I hope someone decides they're tired of hearing you talk and finds a way to remove your vocal cords.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

De-vocalising, ear clipping, tail docking, de-clawing.
All horrible, cruel and unnecessary.

#5    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 25 October 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Unfortunately this petition is open to US residents only, but I wanted to share this here to make sure that everyone has a chance to sign it. It's a petition to let veterinarians that de-vocalizing dogs AND cats is mutilation. If you aren't quite sure what this is, they basically cut a dog's or cat's vocal cords so they cannot make any noise. It's a cruel and inhumane thing to do to these animals. If they are willing to put a stop to the "cropping" of ears of certain breeds, why won't they stop de-vocalization?

I signed the petition. Will you?

Petition

I'm actually quite ashamed to admit that my ex-wife and I did this to our dog in the late eighties. Our next door neighbors complained constantly about our dog barking (I swear these people could hear a pin drop in my backyard). They were extremely unfriendly and unsympathetic to the situation and started calling the police whenever they heard any dog bark in the neighborhood. After two visits to our house by the police, we were told that if they came out again, the dog would be taken away from us. We were young and stupid and were told by the vet that it wouldn't hurt the dog and would turn the volume of his bark down to a minimum. I've always regretted doing this, especially since the oversensitive neighbors moved away shortly after we had this done. I was glad to see them move.....

Petition signed!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#6    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 October 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Unfortunately all my cats are de-clawed. My parents doing, not my own. Personally I would never have done it, but I had no say.

I signed the petition as well.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Okay, then I hope someone decides they're tired of hearing you talk and finds a way to remove your vocal cords.
guess you got your common sense gland removed, it is eiher that or getting rid of the dog or put it down, what would you choose? life aint fare and the world is cruel, get used to it. and have them implant your common sense back, it'll help you down the road.

also since when outlawing something stopped ppl from doing it anyway?

Edited by aztek, 26 October 2012 - 12:07 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postaztek, on 26 October 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

guess you got your common sense gland removed, it is eiher that or getting rid of the dog or put it down, what would you choose? life aint fare and the world is cruel, get used to it. and have them implant your common sense back, it'll help you down the road.

also since when outlawing something stopped ppl from doing it anyway?

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine....

Get three coffins ready.

#9    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Every time I see something like this I always think less of humanity as a whole and a little more of myself for not being able to come up with an idea like that on my own. It takes a special kind of person to come up with ideas like this. Signed it and spread it around a bit.

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postaztek, on 25 October 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

i'd rather see those that abuse animals, really abuse, put in jail, instead of fines, or slap on the wrist punishment. devocalization is nothing next to that, plus it doesn't hurt the animal.

This post should come into the gallery of most stupid posts ever.

We could cut off your ears, your pecker, fingers, pull out your teeth, and so on, and you'd still be able to live to a hundred years of age.

Edited by Abramelin, 26 October 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#11    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

If i lived in the US i would sign in a heartbeat. I despise people who do this, or think it is justified in any way.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#12    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Abuse of animals and the planet, nothing about humanity ever surprises me.

Posted Image

#13    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,493 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 October 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

What would you do with a dog that will not stop barking? I've never done this, but I don't have a problem with it.
My cat has her claws, but if she was clawing up all my furniture, I could see myself having her declawed.   Well maybe not.   She'd just become a full time outdoor cat.

#14    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostMyles, on 26 October 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

What would you do with a dog that will not stop barking? I've never done this, but I don't have a problem with it.
My cat has her claws, but if she was clawing up all my furniture, I could see myself having her declawed.   Well maybe not.   She'd just become a full time outdoor cat.

There are people that actually train animals.....and their owners.....really!  :tu:

I wish I had looked into this with my dog before doing what I have long regretted!  :cry:

Get three coffins ready.

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,779 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

How to teach a dog to stop barking.   Teach it to speak, when it barks say enough, while it is not barking treat.  It is how I trained my chihuahua to stop barking after the first few barks. If there is someone outside I want my dog to bark and tell me.  That is her job.  When I look, I say enough and she stops.  I learned that from watching Victoria Stillwell's show.  One thing about dog training is you have to be smarter than the dog. I find most people aren't.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users