Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terrorism and Immigration

Kowalski

From: http://news.yahoo.com/leahy-chastises-those-linking-boston-immigration-143324732

WASHINGTON (AP) — The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is criticizing attempts by some to link the Boston Marathon bombings to legislation to overhaul the U.S. immigration system.

Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont says no one should "be so cruel as to try to use the heinous acts of two young men last week to derail the dreams and futures of millions."

He says the immigration legislation, which was getting its second hearing Monday, would strengthen national security by focusing on border security and enforcement.

The Judiciary Committee's top Republican, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, was among those who've said the Boston bombings raise questions about the immigration bill. The attack was allegedly carried out by two immigrant brothers.

However the brothers were here legally and one was a naturalized U.S. citizen.

So let me get this straight: The same senators who are pushing gun control down our throats and constantly referring to the Newton Shooting, are upset and appalled when we reference the Boston Bombing in trying to oppose this new immigration bill...

Can you say "hypocrite"?

Also, did you know that the majority of the guys who were in the 9/11 attacks were here on student visas?? Sounds to me like we're not learning our lesson here....

• Like 4

So let me get this straight: The same senators who are pushing gun control down our throats and constantly referring to the Newton Shooting, are upset and appalled when we reference the Boston Bombing in trying to oppose this new immigration bill...

Can you say "hypocrite"?

Also, did you know that the majority of the guys who were in the 9/11 attacks were here on student visas?? Sounds to me like we're not learning our lesson here....

Aren't Visas come under Immigration?

• Like 2

People immigrating from known terrorist states or known terrorist entry states such as UAE should have a bit extra scrutiny IMO.

• Like 6

People immigrating from known terrorist states or known terrorist entry states such as UAE should have a bit extra scrutiny IMO.

That's hard to argue against.

• Like 2

Yes I would say that makes them hypocrites. We need to be careful about who we let into this country or become citizens especially if they broke the law to get here.

• Like 1

The GOP Fends Off the GOP from Using Boston to Block the Immigration Deal

Conservative supporters of immigration reform are reportedly coordinating their talking points to marginalize Republicans who say the Boston bombings are reason to rethink proposals for more lax immigration laws. According to emails obtained by Breitbart News' Matthew Boyle, advisers to Sen. Marco Rubio, Grover Norquist, and the Cato Institute are working to smother the Boston talking point in the crib. "The Boston thing could derail this big time so I'm spending most of today on that," Cato's immigration analyst, Alex Nowrasteh, wrote on Friday to Peggy Ellis, a consultant asked to help prepare Norquist's immigration testimony before today's Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on immigration. (It's the second of two major hearings on immigration legislation, after the massacre at the marathon "wrecked plans for a quick Friday hearing," in the words of The Daily Caller.) Other emails show the pro-immigration groups working on rebuttals to anti-immigration conservatives like Jim DeMint, who heads the Heritage Foundation. All this has RedState editor Erick Erickson in a state of distress. Of the leaked emails, Erickson writes, "I have seen shameful things."

After the Boston bombing last week, Iowa Rep. Steve King, Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert, and Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley (pictured above at center) floated the idea that the attack might make passing immigration reform more difficult. "We know Al Qaeda has camps over with the drug cartels on the other side of the Mexican border," Gohmert said on C-SPAN Wednesday. "We know that people that are now being trained to come in and act like Hispanic when they are radical Islamist." Grassley said in an immigration hearing, "How do we ensure that people who wish to do us harm are not eligible for benefits under the immigration laws, including this new bill before us?"

From: http://news.yahoo.com/gop-fends-off-gop-using-boston-block-immigration-152636759.html

Tempers flare at immigration hearing

Tempers flare at Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on immigration bill

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Tempers flared at a Senate hearing on immigration legislation Monday as a Republican senator objected to a Democrat's criticism of attempts by some to link the Boston Marathon bombings to the immigration bill.

"I never said that! I never said that!" Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, interjected as Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., suggested that some were using the Boston bombings as "an excuse" to slow down or stop the bill.

Schumer said he wasn't talking about Grassley, who said last week that the bombings raised question about gaps in the U.S. immigration system that should be examined in context of the new bill.

Meanwhile Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., accused Schumer of "demeaning" several witnesses called to Monday's Judiciary Committee hearing by the GOP side. Schumer had complained about Sessions saying that business and labor officials backing the Democratic side on immigration were "special interests," noting that the immigration bill has widespread support and asserting that the three witnesses scheduled to testify against the bill were "far more special interest."

Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., banged his gavel to settle the proceedings.

The exchange came as the Judiciary Committee opened its second hearing on sweeping legislation to strengthen border security, allow tens of thousands of new high- and low-skilled workers into the country, and provide an eventual path to citizenship for some 11 million immigrants now here illegally.

From: http://news.yahoo.com/tempers-flare-immigration-hearing-193424675.html

What I find funny is this statement:

Leahy used part of his opening statement to chastise those who would link the bombings to the legislation. "Let no one be so cruel as to try to use the heinous acts of these two young men last week to derail the dreams and futures of millions of hardworking people," Leahy said.

Yet this SAME MAN is wanting to take away LAW ABIDING (we haven't broken ANY LAWS unlike the..ahem.."undocumented" workers) CITIZENS guns away for the actions of a few unbalanced individuals. Wow.

• Like 3

Nice post Kowalski. One side rubbing the others back

• Like 1

The hero in the cowboy hat at the Boston bombings turns out to be a Costa Rican immigrant.

Who came here legally, probably...

• Like 1

I can see why Boston might could derail the immigration bill, but I don’t see where it would affect closing the border. Scrutinizing perspective immigrants, like gun control isn’t going to stop a serious terrorist from getting in. But there is nothing to prevent a natural born citizen from turning as well. We would have to approach this from a different angle.

Don't you think we should be a little bit more careful about who we are letting into this country?? One of these brothers was flagged by another country, who told the FBI, and they STILL let him become a citizen? Weren't they watching him?

Did you know that most of the hijackers in 9/11 were here on STUDENT VISAS? I don't need a horse to kick me twice in the teeth before learning my lesson...