Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contradictions in the bible

Bling

The Bible has been manipulated by man at the council of Nicea, and possibly by various others also

It would explain why there is contradiction's in the Bible, as there are certain Gospel's that was left out due to the council not wanting it in there

The Bible has been manipulated by man at the council of Nicea, and possibly by various others also

It would explain why there is contradiction's in the Bible, as there are certain Gospel's that was left out due to the council not wanting it in there

So the bible the world reads today is fake?

• Like 6

I don't want to get involved in this kind of matters anymore. I think life is getting too complicated as it is.

I'll just need to be happy with what I choose to believe and let others be happy with what they choose to believe.

Er....ok ??

Er....ok ??

I just want a break from religious matters.

I think you know what I mean :tu:

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 3

Do these contradictions bother christians? Does it make them question the bible's authenticity? Just wondering....

• Like 1

Do these contradictions bother christians? Does it make them question the bible's authenticity? Just wondering....

Bling I for one don't get too concerned about such things. This text is in some cases 3000 years old and while the majority of it has been very carefully transcribed I'm sure that errors could have been made - humans and all...

But I use as my pattern my grand father. He was a good man. Honest and fair dealing with all. Avid church goer at a time and in a place (very rural south Alabama) that church going was not a convenient thing - it took great effort, walking long distances, etc. Anyway, my point is that he put in the effort and was uneducated to the point that he couldn't even begin to be the scholar that many here at UM are.... but he had a very strong faith and centered his life on the words of Jesus. I believe the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. I try ( and fail a lot) to live my life from it's precepts. When the end comes for me and I discover the answer to the mystery for myself then all I will leave behind is the memory of how I treated others and whatever inspiration my faith gave them. That book and my grandfather's belief in it and his actions toward it make me a better person than I otherwise would be. No saint for certain, but better than I would be without it. So my point is why is it necessary to demean and call it into question when so many other things in this life are already so destructive? It's almost like trying to blow out the last few candles in a rapidly darkening cave with pits everywhere one could fall into.

• Like 5

Bling I for one don't get too concerned about such things. This text is in some cases 3000 years old and while the majority of it has been very carefully transcribed I'm sure that errors could have been made - humans and all...

But I use as my pattern my grand father. He was a good man. Honest and fair dealing with all. Avid church goer at a time and in a place (very rural south Alabama) that church going was not a convenient thing - it took great effort, walking long distances, etc. Anyway, my point is that he put in the effort and was uneducated to the point that he couldn't even begin to be the scholar that many here at UM are.... but he had a very strong faith and centered his life on the words of Jesus. I believe the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. I try ( and fail a lot) to live my life from it's precepts. When the end comes for me and I discover the answer to the mystery for myself then all I will leave behind is the memory of how I treated others and whatever inspiration my faith gave them. That book and my grandfather's belief in it and his actions toward it make me a better person than I otherwise would be. No saint for certain, but better than I would be without it. So my point is why is it necessary to demean and call it into question when so many other things in this life are already so destructive? It's almost like trying to blow out the last few candles in a rapidly darkening cave with pits everywhere one could fall into.

If the bible was inspired by the holy spirit of God, why then does God allow those errors to occur? If it really is his chance to communicate with mankind then why would he allow things to be less than perfect?

And questioning a book that major religions are based on, and these religions then go on to kill and destroy people's lives based on this book, is not demeaning it - it's asking for some kind of validation. If you or anyone else is offended by an atheist bringing up this subject then don't get involved with it, believe what you want and let atheists express themselves as they wish. I am merely stating facts about the bible. I haven't placed the 'darkening cave with pits' in the world, God has done this to the world....so the bible says.

• Like 2

These contradictions happened long before Nicea, and they happen because the Bible was composed by many different authors, at many different times, by different civilizations.

It depends on how literally they take it. I think it bothers the literalists more than anything. Many Jews and Christians are aware of the contradictions and still faithful. They understand the historical background and modify their beliefs to make it fit. Some may call this convience, but who are we to judge what they believe?

• Like 2

I think you might enjoy this Bling...

http://skepticsannot...ra/by_name.html

Oh, and this as well.

[media=]

[/media]

I strongly recommend having a look at all of NonStampCollector's videos; they're very good.

NO..YES you both are correct :lol:

• Like 5

Here's a contradiction I enjoy: compare Genesis 6:19 and Genesis 7:1.

Hell, try to reconcile Genesis chapters 1 and 2. Some of the biggest contradictions in the book are between the first two chapters.

• Like 2

You mentioned politicians who contradict themselves. He came to mind first.

I meant all politicians, but he is a perfect example.

• Like 1

Politicians contradicte themselves all the time and they still exist (sadly).

Politicians aren't speaking the words of God as the Bible claims to be doing. They're human as we all are and I'm sure we have all contradicted ourselves at one point or another...but again we are not speaking the words of God as the Bible claims to be doing. There's where the problems lies Hasina,

• Like 1

You mentioned politicians who contradict themselves. He came to mind first.

Him and Paul Ryan come to mind lol. What happened to your other avi Taylor...I almost didn't recognize who you where. Lol I got some more idea's for our book btw,,,,I'll have to send them to you.

• Like 2

Politicians aren't speaking the words of God as the Bible claims to be doing. They're human as we all are and I'm sure we have all contradicted ourselves at one point or another...but again we are not speaking the words of God as the Bible claims to be doing. There's where the problems lies Hasina,

It was a joke, first off, second, the Bible was written by humans.

• Like 2

I don't want to get involved in this kind of matters anymore. I think life is getting too complicated as it is.

I'll just need to be happy with what I choose to believe and let others be happy with what they choose to believe.

I'm all for that, but if their belief influences or affect others in a negative way I will not stand for it. If they keep it in their families but force it upon their children I will not stand for it either. It is just seen as socially acceptable child abuse these days.

Edit: I hate autocorrect.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 1