Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Laura Poitras Wins Academy Award for ‘Citizenfour’ - The Intercept 2-22-2015

“The disclosures that Edward Snowden revealed don’t only expose a threat to our privacy but to our democracy itself,” Poitras said in her acceptance speech. “Thank you to Edward Snowden for his courage and for the many other whistleblowers.” Snowden, in a statement released after the award was announced, said, “My hope is that this award will encourage more people to see the film and be inspired by its message that ordinary citizens, working together, can change the world.”

It's interesting to see this win Best Documentary. It's well deserved, as Ms. Poitras has been consistently harassed by the Beast for simple truth-telling over many years. It's why Edward Snowden picked her as an ally.

However, the NSA's clear policy of "collect it all," wasn't exposed by human power alone, and that story will be a thousand times more interesting, and make him a true myth.

"CitizenFour" is set to air on HBO tonight at 9 PM Eastern.

Here's the trailer:

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 2

Well deserved, Snowden is a hero of the world :)

• Like 2

Well deserved, Snowden is a hero of the world :)

I hope President Obama pardons him when he leaves office.

It's the least he could do, given his betrayal of the American people.

• Like 1

Virunga should have won.

You seem a little biased (lol) but Virunga was a fantastic film.

I hope President Obama pardons him when he leaves office.

It's the least he could do, given his betrayal of the American people.

A thousand times YES - C'mon Obama do the right thing at least once in your Presidency

• Like 1

I think he should be pardoned. He opened a lot of people's eyes. I doubt he does though but he can give illegals amnesty and rescue deserters.

• Like 1

That's all fine and dandy, except for the fact that you cannot pardon a coward who refuses to come to trial.

• Like 1

That's all fine and dandy, except for the fact that you cannot pardon a coward who refuses to come to trial.

Really? He's a coward? You saw what they do to whistleblowers in this country. I don't blame him in the slightest for not coming back. Him or Assange.

Edit to add--

It's so frustrating how backwards things have gotten. It's the media's job to expose corruption, not push an agenda. That's what keeps the people informed and by extension the Government running the way it was intended to. Instead whistle blowers are being hunted down and punished to discourage others from exposing corruption. The people in power have too much it - that much is evident by the measures and safeguards they have put in place to prevent that power from being taken away.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 5

Coward? I highly doubt youd find many willing to give up their lives, especially as good as the one he had, for something they believed in. Though it is typical for people to criticize the true hero's among us.

• Like 3

<p>

They can always drop the treason charges though AgentOrange.EDIT: In either case I don't think what we usually refer to as *cowards* are people who leave a 200000$ job, along with a house in Hawaii and a hot ballerina to become a whistleblower on the run.

Edited by Ccel
  • Like 2

He created a much bigger bang by escaping. That's not cowardly, that's smart.

The real cowards are the people who repeatedly lie to the American people through their chosen representatives.

They should be publicly hanged for treason, every last one of them, but I'll settle for a lake of fire.

• Like 1

They should be publicly hanged for treason, every last one of them, but I'll settle for a lake of fire.

I watched the entire thing, and made an advance purchase of the movie on iTunes.

I like how Ms. Poitras portrays Mr. Snowden as a quasi sex symbol. It's almost as if she's in nerdy love, which makes sense, given the way he's furthered her career.

That's also partly why I suspect Hollywood ate it up, too. Sex and violence are the primary staples of the red carpet.

Contrary to what he may think of himself; other than his relatively hot, stripper girlfriend, I see no evidence of 007 in there, so you have to work with what he's got.

Now, let's get that shot of you standing in front of the El Reno tornado with your storm chaser buddy named "Red" "World Ruler" "Strong."

• 2 months later...

Citizen Four is now available on iTunes for download.

Send the guy a few bucks, God knows he deserves it.

Edited by Raptor Witness

If the US government can pardon the worst of the worst war criminals (high ranking nazi's for example), they can certainly pardon this hero.

"trial", lol. He would be treated as fair by the US government as "fair" as they treat people in guantanamo, besides that, a lot of US high officials are cowards in the sense that they won't abide by international laws and hide behind the government.

• Like 1

If the US government can pardon the worst of the worst war criminals (high ranking nazi's for example), they can certainly pardon this hero.

I don't see the comparison you're making.

Buying this movie on iTunes is a form of protest.