Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Freedom of speech


  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Joined:25 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The mists at the edge of your dreams...

  • "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Never mind....I was being silly....everything is ok.  my family has a way of blowing things up..harmles crap....@In trouble...help......I cant fix this....crime is ok/not smart enough to be a  threat....I am in trouble....

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#47    travelnjones

travelnjones

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined:05 Jul 2007

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

I believe in the freedom of speech in a weird way myself.  I think one should never be arested or harassed by the government for what they say.  That would include starting a riot and yelling fire in a theater.  But I also believe your speech may drive someone to act against you.  In which I think you are afforded no guarantee that by law to protect you from the actions of others.  Sort of "I may kill you for what you say but I will die for your right to say it."

Also the site thing is a bit differnt because you are no being denied your right to say something.  The internet is more like posting up banners in someones store.  You are not saying something but posting a statement in or upon another persons private property.  If it were something like chat the sure you should be able to have your say.  But if it is to remain on the persons site that becomes like setting up a soap box in someones grocery store.  Probably wont go over well unless you are saying they have the freshest veggie in town.


#48    ninjadude

ninjadude

    Seeker of truths

  • Member
  • 10,989 posts
  • Joined:11 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Illinois

  • "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostJeremiah65, on 02 August 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

what you think is free speech may only be giving acceptance to something you do not agree with.

read what others have correctly said. Free speech does not include private enterprise. Websites/forums/bbs are not public places. You are there at the mercy of the owner. They can kick you out of any reason they feel like.

What YOU think is free speech is not. Congress (or as the Supreme Court includes - state congresses) may not make laws restricting freedom of speech. What law do you think has violated your free speech? Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#49    shrooma

shrooma

    doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

  • Member
  • 3,506 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostJeremiah65, on 02 August 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Well this is bigger than I ever thought possible.....I am being stalked.....sorry....don't have info.....

I will just let it go.....nothing of value here to talk about...my bad............have a nice day.


see you soon.

View PostJeremiah65, on 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

Never mind....I was being silly....everything is ok.  my family has a way of blowing things up..harmles crap....@In trouble...help......I cant fix this....crime is ok/not smart enough to be a  threat....I am in trouble....
.
everything ok dude?!
you seem to be... umm.... spazzing out a bit.... mentally.....
is something the matter...??

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#50    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,398 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I know, wtf?

Posted Image

#51    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

  • Member
  • 24,480 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostJeremiah65, on 02 August 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Well this is bigger than I ever thought possible.....I am being stalked.....sorry....don't have info.....

I will just let it go.....nothing of value here to talk about...my bad............have a nice day.


see you soon.

View PostJeremiah65, on 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

Never mind....I was being silly....everything is ok.  my family has a way of blowing things up..harmles crap....@In trouble...help......I cant fix this....crime is ok/not smart enough to be a  threat....I am in trouble....
:unsure:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#52    odas

odas

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,751 posts
  • Joined:13 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I once sad that in my opinion the president of the company was not up to his job. 15 minutes later I was out on the street.
I also say that PM Harper is not up to his job. I am still here.
Conclusion? I can critisize PM Harper ( honestly, I am not a fan but he is doing a good job) because the charter of rights and freedoms allows me. I can not critisize my boss openly because HE makes the rules, iy is his company, his authority.



#53    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 29,547 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postninjadude, on 03 August 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:



read what others have correctly said. Free speech does not include private enterprise. Websites/forums/bbs are not public places. You are there at the mercy of the owner. They can kick you out of any reason they feel like.

What YOU think is free speech is not. Congress (or as the Supreme Court includes - state congresses) may not make laws restricting freedom of speech. What law do you think has violated your free speech?            Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The removal of religous symbols is prohibiting the free exercise of religion whither they are on public or private property.  Since public property is owned by everyone, not just the athiests.  Remember I don't use religous symbols.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#54    ninjadude

ninjadude

    Seeker of truths

  • Member
  • 10,989 posts
  • Joined:11 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Illinois

  • "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Posted Image

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#55    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 29,547 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postodas, on 03 August 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

I once sad that in my opinion the president of the company was not up to his job. 15 minutes later I was out on the street.
I also say that PM Harper is not up to his job. I am still here.
Conclusion? I can critisize PM Harper ( honestly, I am not a fan but he is doing a good job) because the charter of rights and freedoms allows me. I can not critisize my boss openly because HE makes the rules, iy is his company, his authority.

If I had been the boss, I would ask what you thought was wrong.  Depending on what you said would decide if you did or did not end up on the street. /

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#56    Realm

Realm

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere in our spiral galaxy

  • "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

I believe freedom of speech ends when what you say, tramples someone else's rights.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users