Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is PMS a Myth?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#31    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,701 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Say whaaaaaat?!

*commercial break*  I love your hair, Hasina !!! I want it.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#32    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 23 October 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

*commercial break*  I love your hair, Hasina !!! I want it.
Why thank ya! This'll sound weird but look it up, I did it with pastels. Pretty easy to do and washes out quite nicely.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#33    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Women hate PMS.. I hate how it makes you feel hot......and I hate he mood...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#34    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Just that in industrialized cultures women are expected to be crabby and lounge around and be miserable (make me miserable), etc, if/when they have PMS. It seems more of an entitlement in our culture.

If you look at more ancestral cultures, women are the ones that do almost everything, from foraging to cooking, cleaning, etc. while the men mainly just hunt. Day to day life doesn't change no matter how crappy they feel. If you don't go out and gather, people don't eat. So they still tend to their daily duties, even while menstruating.

Obviously, one way is not superior to the other, they are just clear cultural differences.

Edit: If you'll excuse me, I have to get Hammy the Flying Squirrel to this party....

bolding mine

I don't know any women who take off 1+ days of work every month because the are entitled. Nope, they've got bills to pay and families to feed or they don't eat and have a roof over their head either.

Then this "entitlement"  would also include back pain, joint pain, migraine headaches, allergies, etc,  that men also suffer with.

How do we know if PMS was even physically the same in ancestral cultures? They lived differently, ate differently, may have been pregnant more often or nursed longer.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 23 October 2012 - 10:58 PM.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#35    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,278 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 23 October 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

bolding mine

I don't know any women who take off 1+ days of work every month because the are entitled. Nope, they've got bills to pay and families to feed or they don't eat and have a roof over their head either.

Then this "entitlement"  would also include back pain, joint pain, migraine headaches, allergies, etc,  that men also suffer with.

How do we know if PMS was even physically the same in ancestral cultures? They lived differently, ate differently, may have been pregnant more often or nursed longer.

I'm in no way saying that PMS is a myth nor that it does not have very real side effects. Maybe just that women in industrialized cultures wine about it more, for lack of a better term. I'm not belittling PMS in any way.
Ancestral cultures refer to those hunter/gatherer cultures that you find in South America, Africa, etc. "Primitive" some might say.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#36    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

It says "Thoughts ladies?" in the description of this thread.

So as I'm not a lady, I suppose I can't share my thoughts :cry:

And I should get some tips from Mr Right Wing!

#37    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I'm in no way saying that PMS is a myth nor that it does not have very real side effects. Maybe just that women in industrialized cultures wine about it more, for lack of a better term. I'm not belittling PMS in any way.
Ancestral cultures refer to those hunter/gatherer cultures that you find in South America, Africa, etc. "Primitive" some might say.

I hear you, it sounded rough and unfair to my ears. :)

I'm wondering if in ancestral and present day primitive cultures the women, due to lack of body fat and/or very high physical activity level, may not even cycle every month?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 23 October 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#38    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,480 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'm a male, so I'm not sure about this, but I thought I read somewhere in some medical studies that PMS is a recognized disorder involving certain hormones being either depleted or not working correctly after some cases of female menopause.

Apparently, this does not happen in all women, making the studies difficult to authenticate.

#39    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 23 October 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

It says "Thoughts ladies?" in the description of this thread.

So as I'm not a lady, I suppose I can't share my thoughts :cry:

And I should get some tips from Mr Right Wing!

Plenty of men are sharing on the thread, so don't feel left out, join in.

#40    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,278 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 23 October 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

I hear you, it sounded rough and unfair to my ears. :)

I'm wondering if in ancestral and present day primitive cultures the women, due to lack of body fat and/or activity level, may not even cycle every month?

No problem. I should have been a bit more clear.

They still menstruate every month, though I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't happen to know of any, however.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#41    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

No problem. I should have been a bit more clear.

They still menstruate every month, though I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't happen to know of any, however.

Do they nurse longer and get pregnant more often then western industrialized women?

#42    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 October 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Why thank ya! This'll sound weird but look it up, I did it with pastels. Pretty easy to do and washes out quite nicely.

Did you not have a lovely picture of yourself with dark brown hair recently?  If so I liked that one best

#43    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Did you not have a lovely picture of yourself with dark brown hair recently?  If so I liked that one best
I did indeedly, it may show up again, or I'll take another pic like that. I just had a few people tell me I looked like Kristen Stewart so I felt like I should change it. :P

Posted Image

~MEH~

#44    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,278 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 23 October 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Do they nurse longer and get pregnant more often then western industrialized women?

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.
Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.
Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

#45    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

I am dreading HRT !!!!    It is unfair.. We think  it is great to have no more cramps and pains each month and along comes HRT..sigh... I just know I am going to get it bad....I recall back when I didn't know or understand what HRT was ..I used to poke gun at my mom..I stopped if she got upset...   I am thinking ..karma will get me good...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users