Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft Windows 10 available from July 29

Still Waters

Microsoft's much-anticipated Windows 10 operating system will be available from July 29, the company has stated.

Microsoft customers running Windows 7 or 8.1 can upgrade to the new system from free from the end of July, across 190 countries.

http://www.telegraph...om-July-29.html

• Like 1

I'm going to get the free upgrade, but on my browser (Firefox) I don't see>

"Keen fans can reserve an upgrade through clicking an icon in their system tray in the bottom right hand corner of the screen."

What am I doing wrong?

I'm going to get the free upgrade, but on my browser (Firefox) I don't see>

"Keen fans can reserve an upgrade through clicking an icon in their system tray in the bottom right hand corner of the screen."

What am I doing wrong?

With the latest Windows updates you'll see a new icon appearing (if that's not already the case) in your system tray. This icon opens an interface that is there to guide you towards the official upgrade procedure to Windows 10. You'll need to reserve your free upgrade which is offered for a limited time (1 year).

I only received this update yesterday and noticed this new Windows icon showing up, so make sure your Windows 7 or 8 is up-to-date.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

Is windows 10 going to be any better than 7, which has its faults but is , in my opinion ,the best of the windows series. I had a Vista which is now idle as I can't get WiFi on it. I think I'll wait until 10 has been proven to be Ok.

• Like 1

Is windows 10 going to be any better than 7, which has its faults but is , in my opinion ,the best of the windows series. I had a Vista which is now idle as I can't get WiFi on it. I think I'll wait until 10 has been proven to be Ok.

which is a very smart choice when it comes to Microsoft products. Never seen a release of anything that was not so buggy that the only reason you kept using it was because everybody else used nothing different.

• Like 3

With the latest Windows updates you'll see a new icon appearing (if that's not already the case) in your system tray. This icon opens an interface that is there to guide you towards the official upgrade procedure to Windows 10. You'll need to reserve your free upgrade which is offered for a limited time (1 year).

I only received this update yesterday and noticed this new Windows icon showing up, so make sure your Windows 7 or 8 is up-to-date.

Thank you so much Phenix20, I've got it now. I thought I had my automatic updates enabled, but I had to do it manually.

I'm all good to go now. Having said that, I'm not crazy about 8.1 but it came on my laptop. I hope 10 is an improvement.

And thanks to you Still Waters for the notice.

• Like 2

WIN8 made me wanna stick a harpoon through my eye! I don't dare downloading WIN10! I can do with one eye, but i wouldn't risk the other.....(WIN7 I like...)

Anything else than Vista is definitly an improvement.

On a more serious note, Windows 10 does look quite nice. It's like a all the good things in Windows 8.1 were kept + some under the hood improvements but with the look & feel of Windows 7 a lot more polished. So, it seems they have listened to their users to some extent.

If all you care about is a stable and ''proven'' operating system, than maybe you're better off staying with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 at this point. They are still supported for 4 to 8 years with security updates anyway. It's just that the free upgrade to Windows 10 is for a year only.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

Betas seem far to buggy to risk a July release so why do it?

Maybe they are confident they can iron out most the bugs in the next 2 months or so and get a stable release as planned.

At any rate, the release date makes sense, if we consider that quite a few back-to-school laptops are sold around that time of the year.

Edited by Phenix20

Maybe they are confident they can iron out most the bugs in the next 2 months or so and get a stable release as planned.

At any rate, the release date makes sense, if we consider that quite a few back-to-school laptops are sold around that time of the year.

I am a Windows fan so I hope you are right. Back to school is a sales peak for laptops and such but man, if this OS is a buggy mess like the betas...... Hopefully they are living in reality land and know what they are doing, have this handled and the ugly betas are just testing the edge stuff, that the core is solid and the drivers are dialed in.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I don't like any unnecessary processes and annoying icons in my system tray, thank you Microsoft!

If you want to remove the invitation to upgrade, go into Windows Updates → Installed Updates. Wait for the page to fully load, then select KB3035583, and Uninstall.

(Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility whatsoever for anything anytime anywhere)

• Like 1

I don't like any unnecessary processes and annoying icons in my system tray, thank you Microsoft!

If you want to remove the invitation to upgrade, go into Windows Updates → Installed Updates. Wait for the page to fully load, then select KB3035583, and Uninstall

I guess this icon only matters if you intend to do the upgrade. It seems MS wants to push as much people as possible towards Windows 10.

As for myself, I don't really like upgrade processes either. I prefer a clean install of my OS. I am still waiting for the final reviews and shall wait a few months after the official release to consider if that's a version that brings significant improvements (I don't necesserely go for change only for the sake of 'change').

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

I guess this icon only matters if you intend to do the upgrade. It seems MS wants to push as much people as possible towards Windows 10.

As for myself, I don't really like upgrade processes either. I prefer a clean install of my OS. I am still waiting for the final reviews and shall wait a few months after the official release to consider if that's a version that will bring me significant improvements (I don't necesserely go for change only for the sake of 'change'.)

From what I have read, Microsoft will be issuing a new activation code that will allow you to do a fresh install without having to go through the upgrade BS or registry tricks we used to have to do if you had an upgrade copy. If this is true then maybe what you want to do is, when you are ready to move, allow MS to upgrade you through their process, get the activation code and then do a fresh install from scratch. Good time to get yourself an SSD and install 10 to that!

As for myself, I don't really like upgrade processes either. I prefer a clean install of my OS. I am still waiting for the final reviews and shall wait a couple of months after the official release and consider if that's a version that will bring me some improvements (I don't necesserely go for change only for the sake of 'change'.)

You have a year from introduction to install it so no rush.

Edited by Merc14