Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are there so many versions of Bigfoot?

Still Waters

More than a quarter of Americans believe in Bigfoot, a recent poll found. They claim this legendary bipedal ape, a "long lost relative" of humans, evades detection in remote woodland areas. Although it may seem strange to think a 7-foot-tall land mammal could go unnoticed for so long, the notion is actually widespread.

Along with that sizable minority of Americans, an Angus Reid Public Opinion poll found that 21 percent of Canadians also believe in an undiscovered hairy humanoid, which they prefer to call Sasquatch. In Russia, belief in a similar creature, called the Yeti, is so common that local branches of the Russian government have funded Yeti expeditions, and the country has even considered founding an entire institute devoted to the study of Yetis.

The Yeti is also said to roam the Himalayas, sometimes going by the name of Meh-Teh, or the "Abominable Snowman." Not to be outdone, Australia has the Yowie, and South America, a mythical beast called Mapinguari. Malaysians, meanwhile, fear the orang minyak, or "oily man" monster.

Why do so many disparate cultures have their own version of a "wild man?"

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.T-XHL5Hl0dU

I understand the logic, that creature is in every corner of the world and that have to be some kind of evidence to suggest that the existence of that kind of creature is probable, i disagree. In this 100 years there are no evidence to support the existence of the creature, and supposedly is seen around the world. How can it be possible, a less intelligent creature can outsmart us for more that 100 years around the world?

''so common that local branches of the Russian government have funded Yeti expeditions, and the country has even considered founding an entire institute devoted to the study of Yetis.''

Exactly how does one study something that does not exist, or at least has never been found? :unsure2:

Apparently the hyrax is the master of disguise.

• Like 2

We didn't think that the prehistoric fish Coalecanth existed until one appeared a couple of years ago, and the Congolese people are sure that something big is wandering around in their jungles. So I guess until proven otherwise its possible that these creatures do exist..

• Like 2

We didn't think that the prehistoric fish Coalecanth existed until one appeared a couple of years ago, and the Congolese people are sure that something big is wandering around in their jungles. So I guess until proven otherwise its possible that these creatures do exist..

Not the old Coalecanth argument again....

My understanding is that each tribal "nation" all had their own variation's of animal spirits in their stories. Native American's had Sasquatch, Australian's had Yowie, China's Yeren, India's deity Hanuman (there was a recentish outbreak of "bigfoot" attacks in India), Himalayan Yeti, etc. For Snakes, there's the Australian Rainbow Serpent, and the Mayan Quetzelcoatl, and I'm sure theres more.

You can see where I'm going. I think spiritual-wise, native nations around the world found these spirit creatures as a way to project aspects of life (EG: Bigfoot = Strength, Snake = Elegance, Cat = Subtlety, Wolf/Dog = Savagery, etc.), and so the tribes had something to fall upon.

I'm agreeing with Skeptic Chicken, that bigfoot seems to be a archtype that all humans seem hardwired to show up in our myths and histories. Along with Dragons, the Undead, and Little (Faerie) People... Wildmen seem to be common in many cultures and societys.

• Like 1

Rawr! Can't edit my post. Human's feared birds, as they were the only things they couldn't reach (Humans can walk and swim, but cannot fly without assistance from technology), so Hawks, Ravens/Crows, Eagles, etc. were all the symbol of death. (pst... That all just came off the top of my head, I may have just added ontop of Crows/Ravens being the symbols of death because they feast upon the dead).

So anything someone dreams up without any proof is possible untill proven otherwise?

the reason is so it people have hope of it existing.

they can say its more credible if there are lots of sightings, and when they dont collaborate what they saw, they assume it can shape shift.

its sad really, its the desperate grasping of straws.

and the coaelcanth arguement is ridiculous due to the fact they live in deep water, that is very very rarely explored.

So anything someone dreams up without any proof is possible untill proven otherwise?

Anything some one dreams up is a figment of their imagination..

Anything some one dreams up is a figment of their imagination..

How does that work with your previous quote?

How does that work with your previous quote?

Look again matey,I haven't dreamt anything up,if folk want to believe in Bigfoot who are you to ridicule them. What I said was, proof of their existence is required,and there has been a lot of sightings imagined or not. I will await proof,and until then remain open to whether they exist or not.
  • Like 2

So I guess until proven otherwise its possible that these creatures do exist..

Its more this part of your quote that seems incorrect to me. Its backwards to the way science works.

So I guess until proven otherwise its possible that these creatures do exist..

I agree with Vitruvian12, i believe that is only valid for the justice system, not in this case.

I can say I saw a cat that fly and you'll say it's possible that exist until proven otherwise?

There are 17 types of penguins in the world.

oh, why does it so shock you to see - what 4 varieties of bigfoots?

There are 17 types of penguins in the world.

oh, why does it so shock you to see - what 4 varieties of bigfoots?

hate to burst your bubble but we have over documented evidence of over 17 species of penguin and nothing more than a blurry handi cam video of bigfoot...

• Like 1

No your not quite right there. We believed the Coalecanth to be EXTINCT, we knew it had existed because we had a fossil record of it. There is no proven documentation for Bigfoot. You cannot use the same argument for bigfoot because we have no solid proof that it exists.

It seems fairly obvious to me. To many people one of the scariest things is a man-like beast. The intelligence of a man, but the wild animal behavior. Heck, even my mon and dad told me to stay in bed or the boogey man would get me. A big wild mani-like beast living in the woods is a frightening thought. I think this is the basis of most of the stories in cultures.

Modern reasons are probably more due to an unknown man-like beast is much more interesting than an unknown rodent.

• Like 1

Because their are many different big foot costumes available from costume stores.

• Like 1

I heard that davey crocket killed 1, do some research folks and you`ll find this to be true.

I heard that davey crocket killed 1, do some research folks and you`ll find this to be true.

Nope, not true.

what makes all these gigantic footprints that has been found then?

How many man-sized and larger creatures that supposedly have breeding populations the world over do we only have proof of in footprints?