Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Did an earthquake create the Turin Shroud ?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,275 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

I am still happy with the 'medieval fake' theory.

#17    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,507 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostPerceptivum, on 12 February 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

"Ancient Judeans did not have long Hair.

I would like to understand your definition of "long hair" and Paul's (the author if 1st Corinthians) definition of "long hair" and compare the two.  I would suspect those opinions would differ.

The image in the Shroud looks like it has long hair to me, but tradition is what matters.

http://rcg.org/articles/djhlh.html

Posted Image
Man or myth?...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#18    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostSundew, on 12 February 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

I've seen many shows on the shroud and one of the most interesting things was that the image appears to be holographic in nature, that is, it is a three dimensional image, not a 2D image one gets when painting or staining. If I remember correctly they had to use computer technology to bring out the 3D quality of the image. If this is correct, then how and why would someone make, or even know how to make this type of image centuries ago. As to carbon dating of the shroud, the object itself has been through a fire, which I would guess would alter the carbon content from the smoke and it has had some cloth added to patch holes and as a boarder, and I believe the sample was taken from the boarder which was added at a later time. A better analysis would require taking material from near the image, not on added material. One investigator on the show said he believed the image was burned into the cloth by light, light of a similar quality to a LASER. In any case it's an interesting piece of history.
Easy.  Get some poor unfortunate, treat him abominably, lay a shroud over the body to take a mark on the cloth, sell the cloth to whoever offers the best price.  There's no real mystery here - they used a real body.  One that was still alive, judging from the clotted blood.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#19    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

It is interesting that Pope Francis referred to the shroud as an “icon of a man scourged and crucified.” Further “This disfigured face resembles all those faces of men and women marred by a life which does not respect their dignity, by war and violence which afflict the weakest.” Brilliant! So what remains? Perhaps, those who make their reputation by proving or disproving the authenticity of the shroud. Those who are perhaps weak of faith and need proof positive. And, those who need assurance that their beliefs are indeed correct and thus need proof negative. We all garner support and disparate evidence to validate our beliefs. We are no different.

#20    MyOtherAccount

MyOtherAccount

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 171 posts

• That dark stuff out there, not the matter, not the energy, but the rest of that stuff. It is called nothing. A whole lot of nothing is going on.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Say what?

#21    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,020 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

Fred & Barney were involved with the Shroud investigation ! It was later found out that the image was nothing more than Mega Rib B.B.Q sauce that played tricks with the results ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 12 February 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

Easy.  Get some poor unfortunate, treat him abominably, lay a shroud over the body to take a mark on the cloth, sell the cloth to whoever offers the best price.  There's no real mystery here - they used a real body.  One that was still alive, judging from the clotted blood.
Doug
I agree. If you assume the Shroud is a fake, this is how it was made. There are documentrys on how it could have been done this way.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostMac E, on 12 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Um, no.  It's grasping at straws.  I agree a second analysis should be performed to try and confirm the original results however.
I agree that this seems far fetched to me also. I also agree that another C14 test should be done.

From one documentary that showed how the piece used for the C14 sample that got 1300 AD was from a repaired section. They even got the pieces left over from 1978 and took a small piece apart to show that the fibers were of different ages. It seemed very logical and would seem to indicate that the C14 date was contaminated by more modern material.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 12 February 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'd want to know what research backs that up.  Did they actually try to replicate the result using neutron irradiation?  Use a modern piece of cloth, irradiate it, then see if there's an image and see what date the C14 test shows.  It shouldn't be hard to come up with some tests that replicate the hypothetical process.
Doug
I'd like to see that testing done also. I think it won't happen because I believe the tests, regardless of how many were done, would fail.

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 12 February 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

1 Corinthians 11:14-16

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a dishonor to
him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a
covering.
16 But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of
God.

http://www.biblegate...-16&version=ASV

Ancient Judeans did not have long Hair.
You know that the Corinthians were actually Greeks, right? And that the book 1st Corinthians was probably written like 30 years after Jesus died, right. You can't take a religous document written for Greeks and apply it backward to prove 1st century BC Judeans did not have long hair. The Christians were considered a Cult by the Romans and the Jews at this point, so it seems to me unless you can find something in Deuderanomy, or one of the other books about short hair, that Jesus could easily have had long hair.

#26    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostSundew, on 12 February 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

I've seen many shows on the shroud and one of the most interesting things was that the image appears to be holographic in nature, that is, it is a three dimensional image, not a 2D image one gets when painting or staining. If I remember correctly they had to use computer technology to bring out the 3D quality of the image. If this is correct, then how and why would someone make, or even know how to make this type of image centuries ago. As to carbon dating of the shroud, the object itself has been through a fire, which I would guess would alter the carbon content from the smoke and it has had some cloth added to patch holes and as a boarder, and I believe the sample was taken from the boarder which was added at a later time. A better analysis would require taking material from near the image, not on added material. One investigator on the show said he believed the image was burned into the cloth by light, light of a similar quality to a LASER. In any case it's an interesting piece of history.
Those are a lot of good points. It has also been water stained which, if I remember right, can also affect the C14 test a little.

From what I remember the Catholic Church has refused any more C14 samples from the Shroud at this time.

#27    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,530 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

I'm not a big fan of the "Shroud" though I am a Christian.

I think that "science" has gone a little too far here, given that this type of event does not appear to be existant in other findings at that time, according to the article.

Edited by pallidin, 13 February 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,305 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 February 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

I agree that this seems far fetched to me also. I also agree that another C14 test should be done.

From one documentary that showed how the piece used for the C14 sample that got 1300 AD was from a repaired section. They even got the pieces left over from 1978 and took a small piece apart to show that the fibers were of different ages. It seemed very logical and would seem to indicate that the C14 date was contaminated by more modern material.
A convenient excuse that doesn't hold up under investigation.

http://www.shroud.co...fs/n65part5.pdf

https://journals.uai...ticle/view/3419

#29    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,362 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Wash+tumble it!

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#30    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,507 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 February 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

You know that the Corinthians were actually Greeks, right? And that the book 1st Corinthians was probably written like 30 years after Jesus died, right. You can't take a religous document written for Greeks and apply it backward to prove 1st century BC Judeans did not have long hair. The Christians were considered a Cult by the Romans and the Jews at this point, so it seems to me unless you can find something in Deuderanomy, or one of the other books about short hair, that Jesus could easily have had long hair.

Jews were all over, because they were merchant traders.Philo lived in Alexandria, and he made the pilgrimage to Judea for Passover at least once.There were Jews in Rome too.

"Under the Romans, Corinth was rebuilt as a major city in Southern Greece or Achaia. It had a large mixed population of Romans, Greeks, and Jews."

http://en.wikipedia....Ancient_Corinth

Leviticus 19

27 “‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

What is "at the sides of your head" mean, and did Jesus clip off edges of his beard in defiance of his father?

Posted Image
Man or myth?...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users