Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could you Kill a Baby Hitler?

Anomalocaris

The Internet Is Obsessed With Whether or Not You'd Kill Baby Hitler

In response to an age-old thought experiment resurrected today by the New York Times Magazine, “Baby Hitler” is trending on Twitter. It is officially Friday.

For some reason, the Times magazine decided to poll its readers on a pretty old, pretty meaningless question: if you could travel back in time and encounter baby Hitler, knowing what you know about the monster he grew up to be, could you snuff him in the cradle?

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris

For me a lobotomy would suffice... just in case.

As Lilly has already said, if you have the capability to change the past, then there is no need to commit infanticide but only to ensure Hitler doesn't grow up to become the psychopathic megalomaniac he became.

• Like 6

I would kidnap him and bring him back to our time, raise him as a hasidic jew with Seiinfeld and woody allen playing in the background 24/7 just to ensure he gets that jewish accent. Can't you just see hitler eating a bagel with his yamaka exclaiming oy vey when he spills his latte!

• Like 2

I would kidnap him and bring him back to our time, raise him as a hasidic jew with Seiinfeld and woody allen playing in the background 24/7 just to ensure he gets that jewish accent. Can't you just see hitler eating a bagel with his yamaka exclaiming oy vey when he spills his latte!

muegpg.gif

• Like 4

What a ridiculous question to ask. Did Hitler begin his dictatorship when he was a baby......NO.

You can not just pick one dictator, if you can go back in time, might as well kill all the other dictators, serial killers, mass murderers, when they are just babies, but what would this then make you? killing innocent babies.

If you have the ability to go back in time, then you have the upper hand in changing their life or point in their life when the "danger" signs begin to appear, but it is not when they are a baby.

• Like 9

Couple of issues I have, the first is that I don't think you can change the past even if you are able to tracel to it.

Second, let's say you could. WWII was going to happen, it had been set in motion by the wrap up of WWI, and WWI had been set up by a precious war.

Taking out Hitler wouldn't stop the war, just one of the major players.

Let's sayyou could take out Hitler.

Now instead of a man who was a bit of a madman and who became more insane over time, part of what helped the Allies win the war, you have someone sane and competent in charge of Nazi Germany.

How does that play out?

• Like 8

His life was meaningful for SOME reason. Otherwise, he would have never come into a physical existence. EVERY person is here for a reason. It's not up to another human to decide who should stay or go. Period.

Edited by barbco196
  • Like 2

Couple of issues I have, the first is that I don't think you can change the past even if you are able to tracel to it.

Second, let's say you could. WWII was going to happen, it had been set in motion by the wrap up of WWI, and WWI had been set up by a precious war.

Taking out Hitler wouldn't stop the war, just one of the major players.

Let's sayyou could take out Hitler.

Now instead of a man who was a bit of a madman and who became more insane over time, part of what helped the Allies win the war, you have someone sane and competent in charge of Nazi Germany.

How does that play out?

This. Killing Hitler still leaves all the doctors of death that consulted him, all the generals that carried out heinous war crimes in the Nazi name.

No one is here for any particular reason; that is something we all have to pretend for ourselves.

Anyways...no one can predict what a person will be like as an adult, no one is born evil.

• Like 1

His life was meaningful for SOME reason. Otherwise, he would have never come into a physical existence. EVERY person is here for a reason. It's not up to another human to decide who should stay or go. Period.

there are some pretty unpleasant implications in this line of thinking.

• Like 5

No one is here for any particular reason; that is something we all have to pretend for ourselves.

Anyways...no one can predict what a person will be like as an adult, no one is born evil.

IDK man genetics are a ***********er.

there are some pretty unpleasant implications in this line of thinking.

Such as? My line of thinking is not really mine...I am simply stating it is up to God who lives or dies. We have NO idea why Hitler came into this world.

Based on the idea that to kill Hitler (at anytime during his life) would require time travel this wouldn't change the outcome at least in this universe. If the multiverse theory is correct if you were able to travel back in time to kill Hitler that would create a separate universe where

Hitler is dead and then all subsequent events were affected by it but when you returned to your own time own universe nothing will have changed. You would have created a separate reality where due to killing Hitler you created events that only come about in that universe not yours. If it had changed things in your universe you would never have known who Hitler was or that he needed to be killed. The fact that you knew that and he had done something worthy of you time traveling back to kill him means your actions only would affect a separate universe and not your own. Thus time travel is self encapsulating and you cannot affect your own timeline. So killing Hitler does nothing.

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 1

Such as? My line of thinking is not really mine...I am simply stating it is up to God who lives or dies. We have NO idea why Hitler came into this world.

I think that it was because some day, in the summer of 1888, mr. Alois Hitler and mrs. Klara Hitler slept together and during this one of mr. Alois Hitlers sperm cells fertilized one of mrs. Klara Hitlers egg cells. But of course that is just guess work. :innocent:

• Like 8

Such as? My line of thinking is not really mine...I am simply stating it is up to God who lives or dies. We have NO idea why

Hitler came into this world.

What?

• Like 2

No way !

Absolutely no way !

How could anyone consider killing any little baby ..... regardless of who they might be !

baby-names-mexico-banned-list.gif

• Like 3

Here is a tricky one -

I went to this pagan thingo and part of it was a 'workshop' on .... actually, I am not sure ... but anyway, they proposed this 'philosophical problem' ;

A coven ( wiccan) has a psychic with a perfect record. There has been cases of child molestation and now the psychic knows who it is and that he is about to do it again and this time, will, kill the child. The coven decides they will out the offender, either by a curse or physically 'terminating' him.

I was horrified and said why, how could such an important decision and course of action be decided by a psychic ... I dont care how much any of you believe in them.

" Theoretically, this one has a perfect track record ".

"I dont care. "

.... "You are not witch , you dont understand these things. "

"I dont care, this is ****ed up ! "

- group not happy and start arguing with me - the 'troublemaker' . Well ... WTF did you ask my opinion for in the first place then ?

Then their High Priestess turned up ... an old gnarly looking Goth crow-woman dressed in black with lots of silver bling, etc ....

"Whats all this ruckus about ?" - so they told her .

Then she " What's wrong with you people ! How could you even consider such a course of action on such flimsy 'evidence' .... "

Boy, did she give it to 'em ! Then she turned on me and asked "Got anything else to add ?"

" Ummm ... yeah .... I am glad you are the boss around here ! "

• Like 3

The problem with kill baby (any psycho will do) is that we don't know the exact factors that went into their actions. Now if baby Hitler was brought up differently he might have become a different person altogether. Same with Stalin. If you could go back in time, it might be a better idea to redirect those individuals. Then again someone else worse could take their mantle.

• Like 2