Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ancient City Found

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,581 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But here is it. CLICK LINK FOR PICS..

It is a city shrouded in myth, swallowed by the Mediterranean Sea and buried in sand and mud for more than 1,200 years. But now archeologists are unearthing the mysteries of Heracleion, uncovering amazingly well-preserved artifacts that tell the story of a vibrant classical-era port.

Known as Heracleion to the ancient Greeks and Thonis to the ancient Eygptians, the city was rediscovered in 2000 by French underwater archaeologist Dr. Franck Goddio and a team from the European Institute for Underwater Acheology (IEASM) after a four-year geophysical survey. The ruins of the lost city were found 30 feet under the surface of the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_3178208.html

Edited by Still Waters, 07 August 2013 - 10:25 AM.
Reduced amount of copied text

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for posting this! Underwater archeology is really neat.

#3    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Wonder how much more the oceans hold.

#4    Pirunpalo

Pirunpalo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Wow, that's an interesting news! I have been aware of the fact that oceans hold cities such as this, but I never thought I would get to see and hear about finding such as this! And just like Harsh86_Patel says, this does make me wonder how many other cities there are still left for us to find!

"A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for!" -William G.T. Shedd

#5    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,733 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Heracleion was discovered in 2001, around 12 years back!
And its getting into the news only now??
Ahh well...its the Huffington post. Cant expect more.
The Huff Post is going the way of The Sun and other tabloids.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#6    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 05 May 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

But at least it's not "The Weekly World News". :lol:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#7    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 05 May 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

There is a new thread here about El Mirador, Guatemala. It's in the news now, but the guy who has been excavating the site has been digging for 20+ years. And it's now in the news because he came with some astounding conclusions based on his decades of research.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=247314

Edited by Abramelin, 05 May 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#8    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostPirunpalo, on 05 May 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Wow, that's an interesting news! I have been aware of the fact that oceans hold cities such as this, but I never thought I would get to see and hear about finding such as this! And just like Harsh86_Patel says, this does make me wonder how many other cities there are still left for us to find!

If you're interested try looking up Atlit Yam, Kfar Samir, Kfar Galim, Tel-Hreiz, Megadim or Neve-Yam off the coast of Israel. These go back to the 6th and 7th millenia BC.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 05 May 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

If you're interested try looking up Atlit Yam, Kfar Samir, Kfar Galim, Tel-Hreiz, Megadim or Neve-Yam off the coast of Israel. These go back to the 6th and 7th millenia BC.

cormac

The Mediterranean is a very geologically active area: portions of its coast rise and sink in a generation's time.

I have to think of Puzzuoli, Italy.

Edited by Abramelin, 05 May 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#10    Pirunpalo

Pirunpalo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

After posting my message, I got a slight memory of hearing about someone finding an city on the depths of the ocean a while back... other than that, I must say I'm kind of disappointed for the fact that because I can't really calm down and watch the news on television, I should know the right places to look for these kinds of news on internet, and I haven't found the best source for them yet... luckily I found my way into this site, as I'm sure you guys note me about things like this as they happen!

Also, I'd like to thank cormac for the hints, I'll check those out right away!

"A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for!" -William G.T. Shedd

#11    AlnilamPhiSiriusly

AlnilamPhiSiriusly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 01 May 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But here is it. CLICK LINK FOR PICS..

It is a city shrouded in myth, swallowed by the Mediterranean Sea and buried in sand and mud for more than 1,200 years. But now archeologists are unearthing the mysteries of Heracleion, uncovering amazingly well-preserved artifacts that tell the story of a vibrant classical-era port.

Known as Heracleion to the ancient Greeks and Thonis to the ancient Eygptians, the city was rediscovered in 2000 by French underwater archaeologist Dr. Franck Goddio and a team from the European Institute for Underwater Acheology (IEASM) after a four-year geophysical survey. The ruins of the lost city were found 30 feet under the surface of the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria.

.Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_3178208.html

This was previously mentioned in the form of the following quote from a TELEGRAPH article to which the link does not function - The discovery is proof that an apparent 'Myth' was in fact reality after all

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 29 April 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

OBVIOUSLY EVIDENCE IS ALWAYS USEFUL
"Ruins of the Ancient City of Heracleion discovered submerged in the Mediterranean where it sank more than one thousand years ago

For centuries it was thought to be a legend, a city of extraordinary wealth mentioned in Homer, visited by Helen of Troy and Paris, her lover, but apparently buried under the sea. In fact, Heracleion was true, and a decade after divers began uncovering its treasures, archaeologists have produced a picture of what life was like in the city in the era of the pharaohs. The city, also called Thonis, disappeared beneath the Mediterranean around 1,200 years ago and was found during a survey of the Egyptian shore at the beginning of the last decade. Now its life at the heart of trade routes in classical times are becoming clear, with researchers forming the view that the city was the main customs hub through which all trade from Greece and elsewhere in the Mediterranean entered Egypt. "

Edited by Still Waters, 07 August 2013 - 10:27 AM.
Reduced amount of quoted text

#12    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,733 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

This was previously mentioned in the form of the following quote from a TELEGRAPH article to which the link does not function - The discovery is proof that an apparent 'Myth' was in fact reality after all

Do you have any problem with your keyboard? Why do you have to make it in such big fonts?

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#13    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think it's not AlnilamPhiSiriusly's intention, s/he just visited a site with huge fonts, and then posted here. Somehow the UM site "remembers" the fonts of the site you last visited.

I have had the same problem. It's best to write your reply in Notepad first, and then copy what you wrote in Notepad, and paste it in your reply here.

On the other hand: it could be a cry for attention, lol.

Edited by Abramelin, 05 May 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#14    AlnilamPhiSiriusly

AlnilamPhiSiriusly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Three minute video of the Heracleion story - includes brief underwater sequence of the sunken lost city

#15    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Except it doesn't, since the article itself clearly says:

For centuries it was thought to be a legend

There's a difference between a myth and a legend.

cormac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users