Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Current UK Economy

revolucion

As it is in our faces 24/7, we must have some relavent opinions. It seems that wall streets mistakes have effected those on a low income around the UK. As I see the price of small things rise, I see house prices drop, taxes increase and the price of energy in our homes rocket, I begin to wonder why are WE suffering because of sub-prime mortgages, or is it the Wars that are really draining us. Lets have an open discussion on this issue.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• itsnotoutthere

• Bill Hill

• X-Pat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very simple, If you monkey all the Yanks do, you go down in the same way. Welcome in the boat.

The only thing I have not seen affected by this are companies selling computer games. People still keep finding the money to splash out on them and they have not gone up in price as far as I can tell.

Most of your growth in jobs over the Labour Period from 1997 onwards has been, IIRC, in financial services and the public sector. The former is vulnerable to economic shocks, and the latter is, of course, limited in how much you can create.

Thanks to banks chucking cash out the whole country has been spending more than it has been earning, not a day goes by without Capital One or MNBA offering me a cheap loan or another credit card, oh and maybe the investment houses should have been putting some of that bonus money away for a rainy day. Also wars are expensive, as is paying billions to think tanks to dream up ever more ridiculous rules and 5 million to sit at home watching TV while huge chunks of the countries GDP is sent to e.g. Poland.

Most of your growth in jobs over the Labour Period from 1997 onwards has been, IIRC, in financial services and the public sector. The former is vulnerable to economic shocks, and the latter is, of course, limited in how much you can create.

Thanks to banks chucking cash out the whole country has been spending more than it has been earning, not a day goes by without Capital One or MNBA offering me a cheap loan or another credit card, oh and maybe the investment houses should have been putting some of that bonus money away for a rainy day. Also wars are expensive, as is paying billions to think tanks to dream up ever more ridiculous rules and 5 million to sit at home watching TV while huge chunks of the countries GDP is sent to e.g. Poland.

Which goes to prove again that a service and banking driven economy is not an economy... its an illusion.

You have to blame the government, and here is why i think the blame lays firmly at the door of the government, the government encouraged people to spend/borrow more than they earned. the world economy has been great for the last 11 years, the British economy was growing great, a sort of mini boom, yet from these boom times nothing was saved, instead labour continued with the belief that every problem is solved by throwing good money after bad,

but am told there is a crisis, and i've seen a some evidence to back it up the cost of fuel and food prices etc......, yet why is this government still giving money away to foreign countries, we recently give the Palestinians £30 Million. and in the last 12 months we've given away over 2 Billion £'s.

and then you have government "think tanks" and quangos costing us 170 BILLION a year, what a ****ing waste, we

simply dont need them and can be done away with.

so the question must be, why are we giving money away and wasting it if were in a crisis,

answers on a post card, :blink:

Edited by stevewinn

Its a sad state, got to the point where your average working class geezer cant even afford to stick a bit of juice in his jamjar, I was back in the UK recently on a visit, i couldn't believe mi mince pies, the old Eastend boozers were empty, apart from a few hooded herberts,

and you cant even have a smoke, Naaa mate, i had a swift pint and chipped off.... not for me

flipping cronic mate

Its a sad state, got to the point where your average working class geezer cant even afford to stick a bit of juice in his jamjar, I was back in the UK recently on a visit, i couldn't believe mi mince pies, the old Eastend boozers were empty, apart from a few hooded herberts,

and you cant even have a smoke, Naaa mate, i had a swift pint and chipped off.... not for me

flipping cronic mate

Sound, me old treacle.

flipping cronic mate

I gotta go back for a couple of months soon, I hope there are still some airlines flying in the new year to get me back out

I need to get on the old great dane... and fly to sand'n'pain.

I need to get on the old great dane... and fly to sand'n'pain.

Or you could hop in yer jam jar & take the huckleberry down the french toast, & why not take the trouble & strife, she might like a nice toodle pip.

The UK gov currently is borrowing 70 billion a year from different international banks, corporations and other countries. These have varying interest rates, all of which are over 5%.

This is also what we know, I think the government may be panicing because there is more missing money.

But it is us at the bottom who suffer the most in times of economic despair...

x

The UK gov currently is borrowing 70 billion a year from different international banks, corporations and other countries. These have varying interest rates, all of which are over 5%.

This is also what we know, I think the government may be panicing because there is more missing money.

But it is us at the bottom who suffer the most in times of economic despair...

x

Thats cos the UK government are a bunch ov doughnuts, and Gordon brown is a flipping cabbage mate, everytime he opens his freakish cakehole and starts gabbin his growth forecasts etc, i am frankly incredulous over this long term positive viewpoint.

I know the score, I tell ya, round mi old manner, Bow in the Eastend, you dont get much change out of a lady Godiva in a booza, you gotta go out on the razz well wedged up.

The UK's inflation rate jumped to 4.7% in August, up from 4.4% in July according to the Office for National Statistics.

or...according to the English/cockney translator-

Lawd above! The UK'Debby Laboos inflashun rate jumped ter 4.7% in AuguDebby Laboost, up from 4.4% in July accordin' ter da Office fer Nashunal StatiDebby LaboosticDebby Laboos. . , innit.

The UK's inflation rate jumped to 4.7% in August, up from 4.4% in July according to the Office for National Statistics.

Lawd above! The UK'Debby Laboos inflashun rate jumped ter 4.7% in AuguDebby Laboost, up from 4.4% in July accordin' ter da Office fer Nashunal StatiDebby LaboosticDebby Laboos. . , innit.

4.7%, 4.4% are they having a laugh ? Most normal peoples salaries are eaten up by rent/mortgage, food, energy and cars/transport......find me anything in any of those areas that is less than 5% more expensive now than this time last year.

Edited by Moon Monkey

Thats right billyboy, uv only gotta take a gander at what the UK national debt is, its currently at £1.2 trillion sovs, thats cos ur average Joe is greedy, wants all the La-Di-Da goods, but aint got a pot to take a Michael Fish in, so average Joe goes to the bank like a numpty, and borrows loads of wonga, buys his flash house 'n' jamjar, then starts moaning cos he's run out of dosh, and cant pay.

Then cos of people like numpty joe, spending lolly like its going out of fashion, prices go up, and every bleeder is charging double-bubble,

The next thing ya know, Numpty Joe starts moaning cos he's run out of dosh, and cant pay his loans, saying he never realised rates would go up, and all that malarky.

Im neither a borrower nor a lender, only ever borrowed once, when i was a lad, borrowed a monkey from "two hammers tommy" from stepney green, and theres no excuses with him, cos he werent no mug, specially when it came down ti the old nuggets

Edited by X-Pat

Thats right billyboy, uv only gotta take a gander at what the UK national debt is, its currently at £1.2 trillion sovs, thats cos ur average Joe is greedy, wants all the La-Di-Da goods, but aint got a pot to take a Michael Fish in, so average Joe goes to the bank like a numpty, and borrows loads of wonga, buys his flash house 'n' jamjar, then starts moaning cos he's run out of dosh, and cant pay.

Then cos of people like numpty joe, spending lolly like its going out of fashion, prices go up, and every bleeder is charging double-bubble,

The next thing ya know, Numpty Joe starts moaning cos he's run out of dosh, and cant pay his loans, saying he never realised rates would go up, and all that malarky.

Im neither a borrower nor a lender, only ever borrowed once, when i was a lad, borrowed a monkey from "two hammers tommy" from stepney green, and theres no excuses with him, cos he werent no mug

Is your real name 'Big Vern' by any chance?

Is your real name 'Big Vern' by any chance?

He reminds me of my crazy uncle, always talks cockney to impress the ladies :lol: its not you is it uncle ted? :unsure2:

As long as he ain't no dribble wibble (wet liberal) sniff...

Apparantly, in 1996-1997, total government revenue was on the order of £270 billion, or thereabouts. (that's the amount raised by all taxes, levies, duties etc during that year).

In 2006/2007, it was around £520 billion.

What the HELL are we spending all that extra money on ? If we went back to 1998 spending levels, the government could afford to reduce personal tax to about ZERO. (or do the same to company tax, or halve BOTH, or something).

And you can't blame it on the Wars in Afghanistan/Iraq either... the total bill for that (over the entire period) is only about £10 billion. Throw in another £10 billion for the Olympics... we're still HUNDREDS of billions short.

What's going on ?

Meow Purr :(

Spent making as many people in the country as possible subserviant and reliant on government for income such as the 5 million sat on their arses on handouts because they can't stop themselves buying 2 litres of White Lightening every morning, millions more claiming tax credits as a reward for their ability to breed, hundreds of thousands more now employed by central and local government to buy art for NHS entrance halls and make sure gypsies have electricity and running water when they invade your land, gold-plated pensions for same said workers, think tanks to dream ever more ridiculous ways to make life difficult for those living in the real world.....and so on.

Quangos are costing us a fortune and most of them are run by failed politicians, or friends of a friend, and i dont think they have a purpose especially when its costing us £170 Bn a year, and compare that 170 Bn to the armed forces budget of 32 Bn a year, and you can see why taxes are going up up and awaaaaaaaaaay.

http://www.derbygripe.co.uk/govwaste.htm