Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists reverse ageing in mice

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,817 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Harvard University researchers believe it may soon be possible to regenerate human organs.

Guardian Unlimited said:

Harvard scientists were surprised that they saw a dramatic reversal, not just a slowing down, of the ageing in mice. Now they believe they might be able to regenerate human organs.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• STUPID FACE CHINESE WOMEN!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Wow amazing! This was what i was hoping for n its really coming thru. I think longevity is soon becoming a reality

Edited by TheGreatBeliever, 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostTheGreatBeliever, on 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Wow amazing! This was what i was hoping for n its really coming thru. I think longevity is soon becoming a reality

Unless you are very rich this won't be an option for the average person.

Also that's if they don't put huge restrictions on it or keep it hidden form the general public.

We are destroying this planet already with out population. I doubt we will ever see this kind of thing being standard until we are colonizing other planets or something.

Getting off this rock should be the first and only real priority right now as a race.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,143 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

the concept of doing that to humans feels me with excitment and fear

#5    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Much to like Coffey said, it's basically useless having the ability to reversal the aging process or stop it all together whilst being able to preserve bodily organs and reverse the effects of aged bodily organs because it will only be available to the high class elite or the "rich". Though I doubt even they would be able to get their hands on such things.. Why would anyone want other people to live longer than they should; I mean honestly what would be the point of living if everyone could live forever..

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I want in on this. I have a piggy bank, and my psych say's that I consider myself "elite"

#7    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Nice.

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostSaru, on 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Harvard University researchers believe it may soon be possible to regenerate human organs.

Okay I'm going to spoil the show! I'm going to tell everyone how telomeres lengthening works in humans, what activates it and also what shortens them. But first a few words of caution.

Caution
Each cell in your body has a certain amount of telomeres. The stuff called telomeres determines how many times a cell can divide because with every cell division the telomeres shortens. When it runs out a cell cant divide anymore and either suicides itself or goes into a semi-dormant state called senescence. An accumulation of scenescene cells in the body is what aging is. The catch is when in the semi-dormant state dna damage accumulates (it doesnt suicide anymore when dna damage happens) so if the cell gets reactived by telomeres lengthening it could go cancerous.

Immortal Mice
The mice have been genetically engineered to knock-out the normal trigger for their cellular telomeres lengthening mechanism. Instead they have been engineered so that the chemotherapy drug tamoxifen is the trigger. They feed the mice the chemotherapy drug, their cellular telomeres lengthens and they de-age. The reason why they didnt just activate the mechanisms normally is because they have patented drugs they plan to sell to the public.

Telomeres Lengthening Mechanism
In all mammals (including unengineered mice and humans) the mechanism is activated by the female sex hormone estradiol (estrogen). This is why women live longer than men and why women on the estrogen contraceptive pill live on average the longest. To de-age a human all you would need to do is put them on a high dose of estrogen for a few months.

Food Sources of Estrogen
Ever wondered why drinking large amounts of whole cows milk and eating soya is linked to an increased risk of cancer? Its because they contain large amounts of estradiol and estradiol like compounds all of which lengthen your telomeres. The estradiol also reactives senescence cells which is where the increased risk of cancer comes from.

What Else Lengthens Them? (or slows down shortening)
B vitamins and 3x30 minutes of intense exercise per week, starvation with sufficent nutrition, dehydration, heat shock, cold shock, low doses of radiation, injury, infection and missing the occasional nights sleep. Fruit and vegatables because of Vitamin C and the pigments. Natural food colourings which you cant OD on (fruit and vegatable pigments in concentrate). Drinking womens urine (they used to do this in China). Diabetes medication.

What Shoterns Them?
The mineral iron in your diet shortens them (its a super-oxidative), eating fish (promoted as a healthy diet when it isnt) and processed meats. Scientists dont know why processed meat shortens your telomeres yet. Eating a well balanced diet (promoted as healthy) shortens them as does eating a poor diet. The aim is starvation with sufficent nutrition for most of the week with a couple of days where you feast (hunter gatherer diet).

End
If you wanted to live to 500 right now you would -
Day 1 - Mixed fruits and vegatables. 1 Pint of whole cows milk and all the water you want.
Day 2 - Starvation and dehydration (not to be done in hot weather as not drinking could be dangerous)
Repeat with 1 or 2 pig out days per week on unprocessed meat.
3x30 minutes of intense exercise per week.

You may also be interested in knowing there are different ways in which cells suicide themselves. Apoptosis is triggered in scenscence cells during famine or dehydration or in the middle of winter when you're freezing.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 14 January 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#9    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well, that's interesting, although long ago my biology professor warned the class about "ratomorphic" hypotheses or applying any information learned from rodents to human beings.

I have often wondered what would happen if the aging process would stop and was reversed, and people could stay young, pretty and healthy indefinitely.  I mean, let's also assume this was available to the masses and all the John Q. Publics who wanted it.

How long would it take for the population of this planet to spiral out of control?  How long before the burden on air, water, land, food and natural resources just caused the whole environment to crash?

Others have warned of this for many years, and we should really look before we leap here.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#10    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Okay I'm going to spoil the show! I'm going to tell everyone how telomeres lengthening works in humans, what activates it and also what shortens them. But first a few words of caution.

You may also be interested in knowing there are different ways in which cells suicide themselves. Apoptosis is triggered in scenscence cells during famine or dehydration or in the middle of winter when you're freezing.

I'm no expert here, but it seems to me if you mess around with these things too much, it might give a person cancer.

#11    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 14 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

I'm no expert here, but it seems to me if you mess around with these things too much, it might give a person cancer.

The risk is there, not experimentally proved but expected by scientists.

To remove the risk you need to remove the dna damage from scenescence cells. Starvation destroys them (your body eats them first). We are talking probabilities I'm afraid. You'd need to get the probability low before consuming estradiol so alternate day starvation diet with sufficent nutrition. Or wait until the scientists figure out how to get a virus or your immune system to target just these cells.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 14 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#12    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

If the human life-span is lengthened, the retirement age will be increased.  Unless you are filthy rich, you'll be working much longer for about the same retirement years.  Add that to the increase in population becasue we'll have kids regardless and we'll use up the planet faster than we already are.

#13    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

If the human life-span is lengthened, the retirement age will be increased.  Unless you are filthy rich, you'll be working much longer for about the same retirement years.  Add that to the increase in population becasue we'll have kids regardless and we'll use up the planet faster than we already are.

The retirement age would go up but you'd also be younger for longer.

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Well, that's interesting, although long ago my biology professor warned the class about "ratomorphic" hypotheses or applying any information learned from rodents to human beings.

I have often wondered what would happen if the aging process would stop and was reversed, and people could stay you, pretty and healthy indefinitely.  I mean, let's also assume this was available to the masses and all the John Q. Publics who wanted it.

How long would it take for the population of this planet to spiral out of control?  How long before the burden on air, water, land, food and natural resources just caused the whole environment to crash?

Others have warned of this for many years, and we should really look before we leap here.

I don't think for one Minute this would be made availabe to the masses,as you rightfully say the planet would crash.Maybe in the future it could be applied to long distance space travel,if they could maybe genetically alter humans to survive in space.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#15    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

nice!:)how much is going to be though?like i said before  anybody could come up with new inventions and discoveries but if the prices are too expensive and lets say pretty much the only people that could basically afford it are rich or wealthy people then that suck and that terrible.i have noticed for a long time the rich only help the rich,the poor stay poor and the middle class keeps getting screwed by the these mistakes and etc by the government.these are interesting discoveries but theres already atural ways to reverse aging though.i think the only reason you guys come out with these fancy reverse aging things you guys come up with is so we could depend more on you guys."control"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users