Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Semtex Slimming Pills!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,491 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

For those who 'blow-up' after an eating binge, no doubt.  (lol)

This new slimming aid has actually managed to upset people, if the usual sensationalist media outlets are to be believed.
http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2KfyzgjKg

I think you'd need to be real touchy/sensitive to be offended by this but I may be wrong.  Any thoughts from my fellow UMers?

#2    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Well, I think people who lost parents/family members in attacks by the IRA and the Lockerbie bombing, are understandably going to be kind of sensitive.

Not the most tactful move from Jodie Marsh, but who ever expected her to show tact?

Edited by Queen in the North, 12 February 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Posted Image

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hmmm...lets see.... how many pills would one need to blow up the establishment...hmmm...

In any case, I fail to see the controversy. Semtex is a known explosive that also works with overweight, nitroglycerin is a explosive that also works with heart problems.... so what?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Wow Forget the Semtex. She has a grest body and nice tats.

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,491 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Well, I think people who lost parents/family members in attacks by the IRA and the Lockerbie bombing, are understandably going to be kind of sensitive.

Not the most tactful move from Jodie Marsh, but who ever expected her to show tact?

It's only a name though, Queen.  There 's a drink called TNT and when I was younger I believe there was a drink called Colt 45.  It was terrorists who murdered all those people, not semtex.

#6    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, she got the publicity she wanted ........ job done! I think she's pitched it exactly right for the people who are going to be interested in such products.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#7    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostEldorado, on 12 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

It's only a name though, Queen.  There 's a drink called TNT and when I was younger I believe there was a drink called Colt 45.  It was terrorists who murdered all those people, not semtex.
I did not know there was a drink called TNT! That doesn't appeal to me... I bet it's some crappy energy drink. Drink TNT, it will literally ruin your insides.

ETA: The name of the pills doesn't offend me, personally. I just think it might if I was one of the families it obviously has offended.

Edited by Queen in the North, 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 12 February 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Wow Forget the Semtex. She has a grest body and nice tats.

You just made me laugh out loud in the library there. Mainly because I misread 'tats', it must be said.

But if you knew the first thing about Jodie Marsh, it becomes impossible to look at her without wanting to spew/punch her. Not a nice person, from what I remember.

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'm surprised the manufacturers of the explosive haven't taken her to court for breach of Copyright.

#10    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm not offended... there's C4 Extreme energy powder stuff for workout folks too. Nuke, Molotov Explosive, Blast, Burn, and Liquid Nitro energy drinks. I think a lot of manufacturers like to use "explosive" names.

I don't know who the gal is or where she is from... Does she live there? Or does she live somewhere else that she might not know how offensive the name would be to folks in the area?

#11    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

But if you knew the first thing about Jodie Marsh, it becomes impossible to look at her without wanting to spew/punch her. Not a nice person, from what I remember.
I've always felt a little bit sorry for her because she's never been able to get out from Jordan/Katy Price's shadow. Heaven know's she's tried ..... maybe tried too hard and just ends up messy.

View Postkeithisco, on 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

I'm surprised the manufacturers of the explosive haven't taken her to court for breach of Copyright.
Good point.

View Postrashore, on 12 February 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don't know who the gal is or where she is from... Does she live there? Or does she live somewhere else that she might not know how offensive the name would be to folks in the area?
Yes, she's from the UK and has always lived here as far as I know. I don't expect she chose the name; her involvement will be limited to promoting the product.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hmmm... strange place to put a tattoo of a skull.  A warning, perhaps?

Anyway, I think I understand what she was going for, but sounds a bit much for a weight loss pill... too, in your face, so to speak.

Edited by Lava_Lady, 12 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,491 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postrashore, on 12 February 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

She's British, Rashore but I'm still puzzled why so many folks are upset.  If she'd called her slimming aid the 'Bobby Sands Slimfast' I'd understand but, Semtex is merely the name of an explosive compound.  Granted, it was used by Irish terrorists and on PanAm 103 but it was used by terrorists worldwide, just like they are all fond of Kalashnikovs and Molotov cocktails.
Families of victims may cringe at hearing the name, I can understand that, but are they really as 'upset' as the media claim.  I honestly doubt it.  This woman is hated by some folks and I reckon that is the real reason for the story.  Haters gotta hate and some sections of the media feed them their fill on a regular basis.

I could be wrong, of course.

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,476 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

She obviously did not think that through very well, mind you, thinking was never one of her strongest points.
She also came out with this:
'I am a renowned anti-bullying campaigner. And terrorism can be seen as a form of bullying, as it is the use of force or coercion to intimidate others. So my disgust at terrorism should be clear.'

i can see what she sort of means, but I do not think that anyone who has been affected by terrorism would put the 2 in the same box!!

Edited by freetoroam, 12 February 2013 - 06:30 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,406 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Really?!?!?!  :passifier:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users