Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What happened to the story games?

rpg story games

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    hooko22

hooko22

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Ok was wondering if some of you guys might agree with me on one thing here.

Ok anyway, you see I don't always have much time to play computer games, I work a whole lot and then when I have some time of over the summer I finally have some time to play games.

The only game that I frequently give myself time to play is streetfighter 4, I play that game all year around, but when I really want to dvelve into games and loose myself I like games with a good story, what I call a good story are games like: mass effect, baldursgate 2, neverwinternights, final fantasy, legacy of kain series, dragon age and so on.

I feel like there is a disturbing trend today tough and after playing mass effect 3 there is nothing out there, at least on the ps3, that has decent plot.

Let's take mass effect for example which I think is a good example of this trend I am talking about, mass effect was brilliant, don't get me wrong they were all brilliant but mass effect, wipes the floor with both mass effect 2 and 3 and the reason I think that is because in mass effect they focused on story and character creation, the shooting system was ridiculous, but I didn't care because it was the story I was after, then in 2 and 3, despite the fact the story was ok, it felt like to me that it got second place behind developing some kind of a shooting gamplay system, they cared more about that.

I'm very very scared where bioware is headed, if I ever hear they launch a mmo game, then I will cry and morn their games, for that would be the end.

It would be similar to the final fantasy online.

Anyway that's just my oppinion.

Let me know what you guys think!

Posted Image

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Starwars the old republic is a bioware made MMO, and there's rumors it could already be heading for the free to play train.

Although the team that made SWTOR was not the same team who made greats such as balders gate and masseffect

I also agree, theres looks to be no great story driven games for myself this year, hence ive sold my ps3. How ever i can see my self rebuying one next year along with a vita. Games like bioshock will really pull me in.

Edited by Vaise, 28 June 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    Dougal

Dougal

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

SWTOR was horrible, I cry when I think I paid £60 to play it for 2 and a half months =/ Avoid it like the plague.

"Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic." Thomas Henry Huxley English biologist.
"Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?" Oliver Heaviside English physicist.

#4    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

i managed to get it for 20 pounds on release due to deals with game station, i tried my in built month but saw nothing to entice me to stay.

Posted Image

#5    Dougal

Dougal

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

I knew a lot of people playing it so I got into it, boshed it to 50 in no time. then spent like a month and a half only doing PVP cos the PVE was so bad. then they released a patch which let the other faction all jump PVP levels in a day (due to the inbalance in the factions on the server). At that point I was like, dafuq? I just worked my ass off grinding this PVP rank, and some jokers got it in a day by sitting at the back of a massive mob and spawn camping? Now they can all get better gear than me, for little to no effort....and the patch to fix it........no roll back even though they admitted that it was a bug. Thanks Bioware, for shafting me.

grrr

Gimmie BG3 and I might forgive them though ;)

"Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic." Thomas Henry Huxley English biologist.
"Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?" Oliver Heaviside English physicist.

#6    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

It's a little old now but the Metal Gear Solid series has an awesome storyline and unique gameplay.

Skyrim is a very good RPG. I like the Fallout storylines and environment better but Skyrim is more improved.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

The Gears Trilogy has a decent storyline, but that's on the xbox... Same with Halo.

Games are becoming more like Movies, so there should be better games coming.

If you have a PC then Diablo 3 is really good and Guild Wars 2 has some decent story telling.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    Dougal

Dougal

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I heard about a game called Dear Esther. Apparently it's far more story than game. I've not played it though, could be worth checking out if you want more of a story. I saw it on steam a few weeks ago for like £5 so it's pretty cheap as well :)

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostDougal, on 04 July 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I heard about a game called Dear Esther. Apparently it's far more story than game. I've not played it though, could be worth checking out if you want more of a story. I saw it on steam a few weeks ago for like £5 so it's pretty cheap as well :)

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2

That game looks pretty cool. I was looking for an adventure game where you didn't have to kill everything that moved. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy First person shooters and heart-racing games but sometimes I just want to relax and explore lol.

Anyone ever played Leisure Suit Larry? Funny old adventure game. They're making a remake of them all too.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#10    SystemShoX

SystemShoX

Psychic Spy

• 1,045 posts

• I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostDKO, on 04 July 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

That game looks pretty cool. I was looking for an adventure game where you didn't have to kill everything that moved. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy First person shooters and heart-racing games but sometimes I just want to relax and explore lol.

Anyone ever played Leisure Suit Larry? Funny old adventure game. They're making a remake of them all too.

I played LSL on the Amiga. :lol: I was only like 7 at the time, too. Why my dad let me play it I'll never know.

#11    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Has anyone ever played the text game Dragonrealms which involves interactive environment and allows your imagination to run wild, it also has NPC controlled by Game Masters that initiate events that can be shaped the world by the players actions. The history of the players are recorded creating an real life history, involving players who constant evolve the world around them. Very in-depth and very unique when it comes to MMORPGS. Even though it is texted based, it was a head of its time with the way the world is changed due to actions of multiple players. That is what I want in a Graphical MMORPG, where players feel like they are really immersed in the world, which combines Online Play with story elements of the game.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#12    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

if you don't mind old games .. jade empire has the most amazing plot i seen in video game .. rpg that is
and it was made by bioware

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#13    hooko22

hooko22

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 05 July 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

if you don't mind old games .. jade empire has the most amazing plot i seen in video game .. rpg that is
and it was made by bioware

Hmm I do remember that game. I never did play it though. Maybe I should! :)

Posted Image

#14    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

jade empires was an amazingly fun and imaginative and immersing game. I cant wait for the balders gate revamp ^^

Posted Image

#15    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Posthooko22, on 05 July 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hmm I do remember that game. I never did play it though. Maybe I should! :)
you wasted half your life man .. if you into good story plot games this is the one to go

View PostVaise, on 05 July 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

jade empires was an amazingly fun and imaginative and immersing game. I cant wait for the balders gate revamp ^^
i couldn't agree more .. you can even play it repeatedly just to explore more options

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 05 July 2012 - 10:59 PM.

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users