Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obamas initial response to Ft Hood

Rock Slinger

In the following video, Obama has been told of the attack and Fox news goes live to listen to the President speak about it. At first you'd think he is unaware of the attack. He decides it is more important to work the crowd about the conference and do a shout out first. Makes me wonder how he feels about HIS MILITARY.

http://countusout.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/fort-hood-tragedy-barack-obama-gives-shout-out-before-he-comments-on-shooting-fox-news/

Does this delay tell us something about the commander in cheif

Edited by Rock Slinger

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rock Slinger

• Cadetak

• susieice

• ohio state buckeyes

In the following video, Obama has been told of the attack and Fox news goes live to listen to the President speak about it. At first you'd think he is unaware of the attack. He decides it is more important to work the crowd about the conference and do a shout out first. Makes me wonder how he feels about HIS MILITARY.

http://countusout.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/fort-hood-tragedy-barack-obama-gives-shout-out-before-he-comments-on-shooting-fox-news/

Does this delay tell us something about the commander in cheif

I think this post says alot more about you. He was at an event. Im sure president mentally challenged would have done much better. lmfao

Edited by ohio state buckeyes

At the time of this press conference, I don't doubt he had few solid details about the events at Fort Hood that he could pass on to the public, but to use anytime to push a personal political agenda was wrong just as it's wrong for the republicans to use this tragedy for theirs. I don't think he meant to belittle the troops, but the other remarks could have waited.

At the time of this press conference, I don't doubt he had few solid details about the events at Fort Hood that he could pass on to the public, but to use anytime to push a personal political agenda was wrong just as it's wrong for the republicans to use this tragedy for theirs. I don't think he meant to belittle the troops, but the other remarks could have waited.

i am not sure but i think pushing a personal political agenda is much worse than reading to a class room while waiting for further info before responding to it.

I think this post says alot more about you. He was at an event. Im sure president mentally challenged would have done much better. lmfao

OK your right he was at an event so way too busy to adress the situation. :rolleyes: Do you think his timing was just about right then? I'm posting on Unexplained Mysteries so I'm not trying to present myself as much as explore unexplained things.

My understanding is that he was at an unrelated conference and the beginning of the speech was in regards to that.

Fort Hood was tacked on at the end because he wasn't there for that, he just happened to be at a conference when the news broke.

That's how I see at the moment anyways.

My understanding is that he was at an unrelated conference and the beginning of the speech was in regards to that.

Fort Hood was tacked on at the end because he wasn't there for that, he just happened to be at a conference when the news broke.

You are correct. That is what the scenario is. But I think people at the conference would have understood if he addressed the attack first, don't you? Then he could have gone on about what a wonderful job they did with the conference etc. I don't think he was using the press conference to talk about a different issue but just find it odd that he would wait until after the other baloney to address this serious situation. That's all. BTW Ohio this has nothing to do with Bush, LMFAO.

i am not sure but i think pushing a personal political agenda is much worse than reading to a class room while waiting for further info before responding to it.

I don't think it's a question of better or worse. Maybe a president needs to continue with what he's doing before addressing a national tragedy to the public before he really has any facts. To do so could lead to misinformation that could cause more harm than good.

I will say that politics, democrat or republican, has no place here. That was a lot of people's first response and that shouldn't be.

Edited by susieice

OK your right he was at an event so way too busy to adress the situation. :rolleyes: Do you think his timing was just about right then? I'm posting on Unexplained Mysteries so I'm not trying to present myself as much as explore unexplained things.

[/quote

We didn't really have handle on what was happening and he handled it a in calm manner , and I dont have a clue what your talking about with the rest of all that but ok :tu:

Uh ok , but I dont remember bush reading much, just setting there with a glazed over look on his face like he just **** himself.

You are correct. That is what the scenario is. But I think people at the conference would have understood if he addressed the attack first, don't you? Then he could have gone on about what a wonderful job they did with the conference etc. I don't think he was using the press conference to talk about a different issue but just find it odd that he would wait until after the other baloney to address this serious situation. That's all. BTW Ohio this has nothing to do with Bush, LMFAO.

Perhaps but wouldn't it be worse that way? To go from a tragedy straight into pleasantries?

No matter how he did he was kind of screwed. Doing it the way he did obvious brought criticism, doing Fort Hood first would have brought similar criticism. Ignoring the conference and only speaking of Fort Hood would have brought criticism because he wouldn't have addressed the issues of the conference.

I think it would have bin better to have separate speeches. Give the one he was planning on giving to the conference event. And either before or after that, give a seperate speech on a different stage in regards to the Fort Hood incident.

Summed up very well Cadetak. My take pretty much as well but said much better than I

Your right Cadetak. He was screwed either way. Two speeches would have been best, but people, especially the press, want comments now.

Your right Cadetak. He was screwed either way. Two speeches would have been best, but people, especially the press, want comments now.

I agree with most of that. First he should have dealt with this extremely important situation that he knew the press was going to cover. Then he could have dealt with the lessor thing. AND of course, keep it seperate. I don't think he was screwed either way because this is not being reported as far as I know so he is getting the free pass on it. I am not saying it is a huge mistake but it is a flap of sorts at an important time. I had heard it live on a local radio show and it struck me as odd. So I looked it up and only this wing nut website (apparently I have not looked into it b/c doesn't matter) had it. Then I thought it would be interesting to see how people might try and defend or critisize him for it.

Edited by Rock Slinger

No tragic event should be used as a political agenda, shame on fox news for doing just that. I would be saying the something, if they wear Democrat.

I find that it is outrageous, that they are using this a political agenda. Fox New values, nothing, but themselves and the political agenda of the Gop. :angry:

As an texan, I am socked that anyone would use such a tragic event as a political agenda. But, it doesn't surprise me that Fox News would try and spin this in to a political agenda.

Edited by Ryinrea

He could probably given the speeches right after each other and it would still be 'getting comments now'. He could have made a speech about Hood in a backroom of where ever he was at.

Of I don't personally care, as is was fine for me and I don't see the fuss...but given the pure insanity of the media the president may need to be a bit more careful.

Uh ok , but I dont remember bush reading much, just setting there with a glazed over look on his face like he just **** himself.

then i guess all those reporters that were there, who later throw a fit because he kept reading didnt know what they were talking about.

then i guess all those reporters that were there, who later throw a fit because he kept reading didnt know what they were talking about.

um HE wasn't really reading I thought it was funny anyway xdddd.

bush-upside-down-book.jpg

Edited by Ryinrea

Fort Hood didn't require an immediate national response. It was one guy and that guy was subdued (well... shot). It was appropriate to express grief upon the loss of our wonderful troops and Obama did that.

This isn't 9-11. You can't cancel out Bush's inane reaction to the World Trade Center bombing in 2001 by saying that Obama's reaction here was equally inept. The situations are not equivalent. Obama did the right thing.

What a load of hysterical Conservative bs. If you want to make America better focus on policies you don't like and campaign to change them. Enjoying a Tea Partier hate-fest is not participating in the political process. It's just an expression of brainless hostility. Use your brain.

no_gop_bs.jpg

Edited by Siara
Replaced unnecessary flamebait

Fort Hood didn't require an immediate national response. It was one guy and that guy was subdued (well... shot). It was appropriate to express grief upon the loss of our wonderful troops and Obama did that.

This isn't 9-11. You can't cancel out Bush's inane reaction to the World Trade Center bombing in 2001 by saying that Obama's reaction here was equally inept. The situations are not equivalent. Obama did the right thing.

What a load of hysterical Conservative bs. If you want to make America better focus on policies you don't like and campaign to change them. Enjoying a Tea Partier hate-fest is not participating in the political process. It's just an expression of brainless hostility. Use your brain.

no_gop_bs.jpg

This has nothing to do with Bush. But I guess anytime someone is critical of Obama that is the best defense.

I am sure we can agree that what happened at Fort Hood was and is a big deal. But agreed it was not 9/11. How Obama dealt with it should be able to stand up to scrutiny without offending or freaking anyone out.

Lumping all Tea Partiers together as hate-fest driven seems rather brainless. Granted they do all strongly disagree with the policies being pushed through, but hate as in hate Obama? I doubt that is true.

How Obama dealt with it should be able to stand up to scrutiny without offending or freaking anyone out.

I'm not "freaking out". I think you're wrong. Obama did the right thing. What was he supposed to do, magically bring the sicko perp out of a coma to accuse him?

Bush seemed like he knew it was going to happen. There was no suprise on his face, or change in his demeanor, even though he was just informed about airplanes being flown into buildings and an attack on the Pentagon. He just kept reading like it was nothing.......yet Republicans defended him for that :rolleyes:

The speech was hours after the attack, not right away. He knew of the attack before he started, he would have had to.

But yet he rambled on, made a few shout outs and even made some jokes before he got around to talking about ft. hood.