Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for an ancient painting of a yeti

Karate Louie

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and hoping someone could help me out. Over at another forum, one of our members is looking for a very old painting of a yeti that he remembers seeing in a book as a supposed "proof" that yetis existed. Here's everything he remembers about it:

"It's really old. I don't know enough about art to say how old. Maybe pre-1400s? I don't know. I think it's Chinese. There's a scary yeti peeking inside of a monastery and everyone inside of it has a really scary face and they all look terrified. . . . It's just a snowy mountain and he's peeking into a building . . . I saw it in a book about yetis and bigfoot when I was a kid. I think it was supposed to be convincing evidence of the yeti's existence..."

He thinks the style of the painting was something like this image (not sure if I'm supposed to hotlink; the image is safe for work):

http://www.wpbeijing.com/art/fam3.jpg

Can anyone remember anything like this? We've had no luck searching online. We've turned up a few old images like the following (again, these are safe for work):

http://www.themandus...Yeti-tibet1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i7HYcD7.jpg

But nothing that comes even close to matching his description. Is it ringing a bell for anyone? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Karate Louie

No but there is an alien version where an alien peeks through a family home during Christmas, infact it was on youtube. Not sure if he is confused about that

Welcome to UM Louie :st Hope you enjoy it here :sk

I can very much visualize what you are talking about, but I have no idea if I'm having a thunderbird moment or if I might have seen a similar image at some point. There are some rather good bigfoot folks here though, one of them might be helpful.

I know this is a double post but.. Louie, do you have any idea how old the person is that said they saw it in a book when they were a kid? That might help narrow down what publications there are out there on the subject.

And I still get the feeling I'm having a thunderbird photo moment with thinking about the image of yeti in the snow.

i think i have seen what you are talking about karate kid... lol

in one of monsterquest TV series, it had a historic painting from the far east of a ape type man, and the monks were terrified.

Also the monastery had/have the hand of this ape/yeti called something like panbochi

Finding your Yeti painting over the internet may prove as elusive as the creature itself. Without knowing if the book was published before or after the internet was a household commodity, the odds are the painting may not even exist online as an image file unless someone did an image scan.

If you happen to recall the name of the book, that might help to narrow down your search.

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and hoping someone could help me out. Over at another forum, one of our members is looking for a very old painting of a yeti that he remembers seeing in a book as a supposed "proof" that yetis existed. Here's everything he remembers about it:

"It's really old. I don't know enough about art to say how old. Maybe pre-1400s? I don't know. I think it's Chinese. There's a scary yeti peeking inside of a monastery and everyone inside of it has a really scary face and they all look terrified. . . . It's just a snowy mountain and he's peeking into a building . . . I saw it in a book about yetis and bigfoot when I was a kid. I think it was supposed to be convincing evidence of the yeti's existence..."

He thinks the style of the painting was something like this image (not sure if I'm supposed to hotlink; the image is safe for work):

http://www.wpbeijing.com/art/fam3.jpg

Can anyone remember anything like this? We've had no luck searching online. We've turned up a few old images like the following (again, these are safe for work):

http://www.themandus...Yeti-tibet1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i7HYcD7.jpg

But nothing that comes even close to matching his description. Is it ringing a bell for anyone? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I'm curious as to why this painting would be considered "proof" of the Yeti's existence? Ancient paintings have all sorts of mythical creatures in them.

Also the monastery had/have the hand of this ape/yeti called something like panbochi

I have seen the 'Pangboche hand' and scalp many years ago in the monastery.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/pangboche_hand.htm

I know this is a double post but.. Louie, do you have any idea how old the person is that said they saw it in a book when they were a kid? That might help narrow down what publications there are out there on the subject.

Thanks, good question. He says it would have been the early 90s or the 80s when he saw the book.

We're now looking into Tibetan tapestries (called tangkas). Feel like we're getting closer but would still value anyone's reasonable input here.

Hello, I'm the person that's been trying to find the artwork.

I don't know whether or not it's evidence of the yeti's existence. Chances are the author used it to provide evidence of the myth, not evidence of the creature's physical existence. It's something I saw in a book when I was a child. I estimate it was around 1991-1993, when I was 5-7 years old. Do I know what the book was called or what it was even about? Not really. I'm not sure if it was a book about bigfoot and yetis; miscellaneous mystery animals and bigfoot; ufos, aliens, dinosaurs and yetis. I have no idea. I wish I could narrow it down, but I can't.

There isn't much to go off beyond my fading memory of the image. It's something that I think about once in a while. For some reason I found the painting pretty scary and it burned its way into my brain. The look on the monks' faces really creeped me out as a kid.

I guess the way I described the image is compelling enough to get quite a few other curiosity seekers out there looking. The images we've come across on our wild goose chase have all been really cool, and I'm hoping we eventually find what I'm looking for. If you know what it is and want to help, that's cool. I'm not claiming to know anything about it. For all I know it doesn't even exist. The more I think about it, the more made-up it seems. Then again, there is a ton of artwork like this out there.

It's heartening that others out there claim to remember this image. I'm honestly surprised I can't find more artwork from this region that contains yetis. You'd think it's more common.

Anyway, thanks if you can help. Thanks if you can't.

Edited by urban_yeti
  • Like 1

There was an episode of the old cartoon Johnny Quest where they were at a monestary when a Yeti was around.

There was an episode of the old cartoon Johnny Quest where they were at a monestary when a Yeti was around.

TinTin in Tibet was about a Yeti too.

Louie, have you tried searching for "abominable snowman" instead of "yeti"?

Edited by Eldorado

Yes, we've been using basically every name for a big, hairy ape-man you can imagine. Lots of interesting artwork turning up but nothing that's an exact match yet. And yeah, Tintin and Johnny Quest show up on an awful lot of these searches, but it's definitely an indigenous painting we're looking for.

• Like 1

Yes, we've been using basically every name for a big, hairy ape-man you can imagine. Lots of interesting artwork turning up but nothing that's an exact match yet. And yeah, Tintin and Johnny Quest show up on an awful lot of these searches, but it's definitely an indigenous painting we're looking for.

I have used nearly every search term imaginable. I have spent a few hours scouring the Net without any luck as yet. The same old images come up and some of the ancient paintings/drawings look pretty cool but not what you are looking for...

Hello, I'm the person that's been trying to find the artwork.

I don't know whether or not it's evidence of the yeti's existence. Chances are the author used it to provide evidence of the myth, not evidence of the creature's physical existence. It's something I saw in a book when I was a child. I estimate it was around 1991-1993, when I was 5-7 years old. Do I know what the book was called or what it was even about? Not really. I'm not sure if it was a book about bigfoot and yetis; miscellaneous mystery animals and bigfoot; ufos, aliens, dinosaurs and yetis. I have no idea. I wish I could narrow it down, but I can't.

There isn't much to go off beyond my fading memory of the image. It's something that I think about once in a while. For some reason I found the painting pretty scary and it burned its way into my brain. The look on the monks' faces really creeped me out as a kid.

I guess the way I described the image is compelling enough to get quite a few other curiosity seekers out there looking. The images we've come across on our wild goose chase have all been really cool, and I'm hoping we eventually find what I'm looking for. If you know what it is and want to help, that's cool. I'm not claiming to know anything about it. For all I know it doesn't even exist. The more I think about it, the more made-up it seems. Then again, there is a ton of artwork like this out there.

It's heartening that others out there claim to remember this image. I'm honestly surprised I can't find more artwork from this region that contains yetis. You'd think it's more common.

Anyway, thanks if you can help. Thanks if you can't.

ok you saw a book back in 1991-1993 when you was 5-7 years old, so that would mean it was 21-23 years ago, and now you are 26-28??

What I am trying to get is.... something that long ago, can/could mess up that particular memory, unless you have holded that memory for dear life, like if you saw that picture just yesterday.

But since the OP had said that you remembers (recall/recollect) it may not be 100% accurate. Obviously bits about your memory have to be accurate, but the blanks have to be filled.

So therefore it might not been an yeti at all, and the book (or was it tapestry) you saw may not be about yetis.

Also I like to mention, the far east.. including tibet, strongly believe in demons, now, and in mythology, so the picture you may have saw, may not been a yeti, but perhaps a demon

I have used nearly every search term imaginable. I have spent a few hours scouring the Net without any luck as yet. The same old images come up and some of the ancient paintings/drawings look pretty cool but not what you are looking for...

Thanks very much for trying!

Thanks very much for trying!

No problem, your welcome, I will keep looking.

No problem, your welcome, I will keep looking.

are you staying "i will keep looking" just to make the OP happy??

are you staying "i will keep looking" just to make the OP happy??

No.. I wouldn't say anything to keep anyone happy. Why would I do that?

I am quite happy to help where I can.

• Like 1

Why does this remind me of the Thunderbird photo? :unsure2:

Good luck with the hunt lads. :tu:

Why does this remind me of the Thunderbird photo? :unsure2:

Good luck with the hunt lads. :tu:

I was thinking that while looking yesterday and I still look for the Thunderbird photo now and again.. I actually convinced myself I have seen that one before. :yes:

• Like 1