Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama 'backs assault weapons ban'

assault weapons ban barack obama

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#421    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postaztek, on 15 January 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

what is easier to protect yourself with, a phone or a gun. for you personally, against 100kg man on drugs, or drunk that, doesn't need your money, needs something else, what would you rather have a gun, a knife, or a phone????

The answer for me is: if rather have a gun and him a knife. With how easy guns are for anyone to obtain, he probably has a gun too though.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#422    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Postacidhead, on 15 January 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

In Canada or Britain you're not allowed to kill a home intruder....

With Canada aside because I don't know the laws over there.. I can however inform you that the UK have made changes in their laws against home intruders   I remember seeing this on the news not that long ago

Householders to be given new rights to defend themselves against intruders

Householders who confront burglars are to be given greater rights to defend their families and homes. The justice secretary, Kenneth Clarke, is looking at increasing legal protection for people who use force to fight off intruders.
The government is eager to "ensure that people have the protection they need when they defend themselves against intruders", a ministry of justice source told the Observer.  http://www.guardian....ruders-burglars

You can also read about it on here too..

Now you CAN fight back against burglars: Law change protects anyone using violence to defend home
  • Rights of victims defending their property from intruders to be strengthened
  • Guidance to police over whether to arrest homeowners to be changed
Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2I33f1Vdc

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#423    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostMag357, on 15 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

I would say that Poisons are more available then guns.

Sure thing, so why didn't those terrorists, gangsters and other gunmen think  Hey I know, lets gets some poison and that will really show em?

I can picture those that go on drive by shootings taking a turn and think - Lets set up our drive through poison food service and we will really clean up!

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#424    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 January 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Oh so any real life Jack the Ripper is off the hook then.  I'm sure the murderers who had a part in birthing that legend will be relieved to hear it.  

And women should have to use knives to defend themselves because even in their hands, a gun easily takes a life?    Governments are always making it easier to take a life and you want upstanding civil society to go the opposite direction, why?  

The purpose of the right to bear arms is to defend ourselves against tyranny.  With how easily our governments can take a life these days, we better hope we have weapons that can take a life easily enough to stop them if necessary.

If I have said ( at some point ) that guns should be banned and no one has a right to protect their family, then I would see where the above is coming from.. But since I haven't suggested such a thing, those wild statements you have put forward are not relevant to anything I have in fact posted.. In fact I have stated a few times that people have the given rights to protect themselves and their family if needed..

Putting aside your "stupid stupid" comments, who are you to impose on anyone where the line is between easy enough and too easy?     

Don't you mean derp derp coments?  I thought that was the cool thing now days lol.. Listen up, I have not at any time suggested anyone should not protect themselves against intruders.. Everything you have listed  is something that has come from your own imagination...  Challenge for you is, try pulling up an actual post I have made and use that, then I could give you an answer..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#425    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 January 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Sure thing, so why didn't those terrorists, gangsters and other gunmen think  Hey I know, lets gets some poison and that will really show em?

I can picture those that go on drive by shootings taking a turn and think - Lets set up our drive through poison food service and we will really clean up!

Why didn't Jim Jones of the Peoples Temple in 1978 use guns instead of Cyanide to kill his followers of 900+.?

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#426    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostMag357, on 15 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Why didn't Jim Jones of the Peoples Temple in 1978 use guns instead of Cyanide to kill his followers of 900+.?

Probably had a lot to do with it being a mass suicide, rather than a mass murder.

#427    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

What I find interesting is that to buy a handgun in Florida, you must wait 3 days.  Anyone can buy a rifle and walk out the same day.

Of course, those who hold CWPs are permitted to buy and take home the same day.  All weapons.

But, I disagree with a ban for a plethora of reasons.

Drugs are illegal....yet anyone can secure them.....
Same with any contraband.....it will come with a price, but it will come.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#428    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,724 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostTiggs, on 16 January 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Probably had a lot to do with it being a mass suicide, rather than a mass murder.

A lot of followers didn't know the drinks were poisoned.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism

#429    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,724 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 16 January 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

What I find interesting is that to buy a handgun in Florida, you must wait 3 days.  Anyone can buy a rifle and walk out the same day.

Of course, those who hold CWPs are permitted to buy and take home the same day.  All weapons.

But, I disagree with a ban for a plethora of reasons.

Drugs are illegal....yet anyone can secure them.....
Same with any contraband.....it will come with a price, but it will come.

Just like it happened in the Prohibition years between 1920-1933. People obtained there alcohol through black markets.

#430    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,916 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostMag357, on 16 January 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Exactly.  That was a mass murder.  I think the difference is, a glass of kool aid just doesn't look as scary as a firearm.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#431    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,916 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

If I have said ( at some point ) that guns should be banned and no one has a right to protect their family, then I would see where the above is coming from.. But since I haven't suggested such a thing, those wild statements you have put forward are not relevant to anything I have in fact posted.. In fact I have stated a few times that people have the given rights to protect themselves and their family if needed..
I'm glad to hear that.  Now that I'm clear, you should also try writing at least one post worth of disagreement directed at the people here who are advocating that guns should be banned, unless we're all suddenly going to disagree with Obama and agree with me.  I'll accept that outcome btw.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#432    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostMag357, on 16 January 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Well, that's one opinion.

My opinion after reading the FBI transcript of the audio tape recorded during the incident is that the vast majority of adults knew exactly what they were doing.

#433    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostMag357, on 15 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

That pales in comparison with gun killings by miles

A mass suscide  is what it was. even though I call it murder... Some of those who left his organisation knew about it, and went to authorities and reported his mass suscide plan, but back then no one would take their word for it..   Many children were poisoned that same day by him.. They had no idea, but the fact is.. This was an evil act of one mad religious freak,  but as sad and awful as it was  ( and it truly was )   more people in the USA alone die at the hands of a gun and that is true

When you look at the amount of gun killings throughout the world  ( for example ) The USA is up in the top 5 countries with gun killing as seen on this chart -> http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

View PostYamato, on 16 January 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm glad to hear that. Now that I'm clear, you should also try writing at least one post worth of disagreement directed at the people here who are advocating that guns should be banned,

You should try actually reading what I have posted before you go off on another rant posting things I have not stated.. My arguments are not about looking guns banned, in fact they never were..If you do the same again and rant off at something I have not posted, your post will be skipped over.. I am not going to waste time arguing with things I have not posted.. I hope that is clear..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#434    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,724 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

That pales in comparison with gun killings by miles

A mass suscide  is what it was. even though I call it murder... Some of those who left his organisation knew about it, and went to authorities and reported his mass suscide plan, but back then no one would take their word for it..   Many children were poisoned that same day by him.. They had no idea, but the fact is.. This was an evil act of one mad religious freak,  but as sad and awful as it was  ( and it truly was )   more people in the USA alone die at the hands of a gun and that is true

When you look at the amount of gun killings throughout the world  ( for example ) The USA is up in the top 5 countries with gun killing as seen on this chart -> http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

You should try actually reading what I have posted before you go off on another rant posting things I have not stated.. My arguments are not about looking guns banned, in fact they never were..If you do the same again and rant off at something I have not posted, your post will be skipped over.. I am not going to waste time arguing with things I have not posted.. I hope that is clear..

That is a very wide margin compared to the top 3 countries (with less population) As for the other countries they have a very small population compared
to the US.which has a population of 300 million +.   Ireland is 1.2% of the US population.

PS: Geri Berri is pointing a Bow and Arrow at me. Isn't that dangerous? :w00t:

#435    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostMag357, on 16 January 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

That is a very wide margin compared to the top 3 countries (with less population) As for the other countries they have a very small population compared
to the US.which has a population of 300 million +.   Ireland is 1.2% of the US population.

A better picture would likely be a percentage of people killed per population ...You say Ireland is 1.2 % of the US population, which is likely to be fact.. But a lot of you are linked to the Irish lol   There is probably more Irish living in the US than there are in Ireland :P

PS: Geri Berri is pointing a Bow and Arrow at me. Isn't that dangerous? :w00t:

I have had that same Jessica Biel  Blade Trinity avatar for years on here.. There was ( a few years ago ) a guy who no longer posts  ( can't recall his name )   he was going nuts at everyone over religion...  I said man has been doing that for a long time  ( or whatever it was we were speaking about at the time ).. and all of a sudden he comes back and goes ballistic calling me sexist because I used the term  man ( as in mankind ) and accused me of going off to post a pic of myself as a threat to him over one post.. .......People entered  poking fun and others tried to tell him that my avatar was not of me, and told him I have had it for ages, it is not a threat..They even explained that i meant man as in mankind..not being sexist lol.. I think even a mod tried to set him straight.. But the poor guy lost it.. He was lashing at most there at the time.. I think after a while he buggered off...  It was funny but at the same time weird lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 17 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users