Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

World on track to run out of drinkable water

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ban Ki-moon has warned the world is on course to run out of freshwater unless greater efforts are made to improve water security.

UN secretary general warns the world is on track to run out of drinkable water

Clean water is going to be in short supply someday if the population keeps growing.  I can see wars being fought over it.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,459 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

POPULAR

Desalination Plants anyone?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,113 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

better than the sewage recycled they pumping out now ...

London may soon be drinking recycled sewage
14 May 2013 11:02 AM
By Sarah Laskow
Thames Water, which provides drinking water to London, wants to start providing Londoners with recycled wastewater. And 63 percent of people who took a totally unscientific Guardian poll said they would be fine with this.
This is a self-selected sample of people, but it is at least a little bit surprising that more people did not kick and scream and yell, “No, I will not drink other people’s filtered pee — even if I can’t tell the difference!”

link

Poll: are you happy to drink recycled sewage water?

Thames Water has proposed this as one way of ensuring it can provide an adequate water supply for Londoners in the future. But could you stomach it? So it turns out the water I – and other Londoners – have been drinking hasn't, in fact, been through the kidneys of at least seven other people as I always naively believed. But it could, if the public reaction to Thames Water's proposal to recycle its sewage water goes their way. "It's all about making sure there is enough water to go around, now and in the future," says Simon Evans, spokesman for the water company. "At the moment we supply 9 million people with water; by 2040, we predict we will be supplying 10.4 million people so we are going to need additional water."

link

except there's this little problem of :

Water memory is the claimed ability of water to retain a "memory" of substances previously dissolved in it to arbitrary dilution. No scientific evidence supports this claim.[1][2] Shaking the water at each stage of a serial dilution is claimed to be necessary for an effect to occur.[3] The concept was proposed by Jacques Benveniste to explain the purported therapeutic powers of homeopathic remedies, which are prepared by diluting solutions to such a high degree that not even a single molecule of the original substance remains in most final preparations. Benveniste sought to prove this basic tenet of homeopathy by conducting an experiment to be published "independently of homeopathic interests" in a major journal.[4]
While some studies, including Benveniste's, have reported such an effect, double-blind replications of the experiments involved have failed to reproduce the result. The concept is not consistent with accepted scientific laws and is not accepted by the scientific community.[5][6] Liquid water does not maintain ordered networks of molecules for longer than 50 one-millionths of one nanosecond.[7]

wiki

I'm not too euphoric about the solutions recommended truth be told ....

Water has memory!

And while its memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it’s had in it!
—Tim Minchin - Storm

rationalWiki link

~edit : missing links

Edited by third_eye, 22 May 2013 - 11:14 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Recycled sewage would be so gross.

#5    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Daddy & Baby "Bush" together purchased approximately 80,000 acres in Paraguay which sits atop of one of the largest "aquifers" in the world.
Boone Pickens bought up acres of land in Texas for the water rights. Japan, whose population is shrinking, ranks in the top 10 percent of countries by water resources, while China and India, with the opposite demographic trend, will face shortages from 2030, according to a United Nations report in August 2012.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,113 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

I think the term they use nowadays is "blue gold"

official site of the film Blue Gold: World Water Wars

From Top Documentary Films online :

In every corner of the globe, we are polluting, diverting, pumping, and wasting our limited supply of fresh water at an expediential level as population and technology grows.
The rampant overdevelopment of agriculture, housing and industry increase the demands for fresh water well beyond the finite supply, resulting in the desertification of the earth.
Corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit.
Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain.
Military control of water emerges and a new geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

link

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#7    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

most of the world's fresh water is frozen at the poles, so it won't be too long before we start hacking lumps off 'em & shipping 'em around the world.
it'll probably help contribute to global warming, with there being less reflected sunlight, but when the weather warms up, we'll have lots of lovely ice-water to quench our thirsts!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,292 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

I can drink out of the river that runs in front of my house, it drains one of the deepest lakes in the world (Quesnel Lake). I almost feel guilty :( ...almost!

#9    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,113 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 23 May 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

I can drink out of the river that runs in front of my house, it drains one of the deepest lakes in the world (Quesnel Lake). I almost feel guilty :( ...almost!

I know how that feels ... I am near a hill that has a few spring spots and the water is just divine ... stealing from the gods almost ....

just to think ... was but a few decades ago that all water was such ....
what a sad sad state the world has become and to think its made so by the 'promises of a better world' by 'modernistic advancement'

'

#10    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 23 May 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

me too LG, for living in a country that has 10 different words for 'rain', and who's main topic of conversation is the weather (ie. 'it's raining again/stopped raining(shock!)/it's going to rain), and who's main cultural export is the umbrella!!
*sob*

Edited by shrooma, 23 May 2013 - 08:36 AM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#11    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

More "Global Warming" type malarky......What a load of codswhallop

#12    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

It barely rains in my city so a desalination plant was built back in 2006.

The plant produces 140 megalitres of drinking water per day. Plus in a roundabout sort of way, it's powered by a wind farm.

If the worlds drinking water supply does start drying up then desalination plants seem to be the way to go, or recycled water...

Edited by DKO, 23 May 2013 - 10:25 AM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#13    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Recycled sewage is fine. Just annoying when you get a piece of corn...

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,459 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostHilander, on 22 May 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Actually, it would just be water and the process of purification is not so different from what you currently experience, unless you believe the fishes in the rivers don't have bowel movements or that land invested with the leavings of all our native fauna has never found it's way into any waterways :whistle:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,781 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostHilander, on 22 May 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

I kind of thought that is what we were already drinking...

Unless you get your water from here http://www.unexplain...howtopic=248005

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users