Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Visual Reorientation Illusions (VRIs)

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#16    G3N0M3

G3N0M3

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

• Reality is a concept of man - Therefore reality is what man makes of it.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

So did anything I explain to you that I percieve in an astral world co-relate with your experiences? Such as text changing, or is it all to do with your self direction?

If so than this does not interest me as much, as it would be interesting to do what I was thinking... Otherwise this whole phenomina only matters if you pay attention to which way is north and south, otherwise I don't think that this objectivity would matter past your own mental viewpoint of where you are... Kind of like the water in our heads that keep our equalibrium and tells us which way is up and down...

One last thing, when you get a VRI flip do any of your senses change other than your sense of direction?

Need answers to many questions? Give me a shout I can help you out!
Posted Image

#17    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostG3N0M3, on Jul 27 2009, 03:46 PM, said:

So did anything I explain to you that I percieve in an astral world co-relate with your experiences? Such as text changing, or is it all to do with your self direction?
I don't see a connection to what you have experienced in the astral world unfortunately.

If so than this does not interest me as much, as it would be interesting to do what I was thinking... Otherwise this whole phenomina only matters if you pay attention to which way is north and south, otherwise I don't think that this objectivity would matter past your own mental viewpoint of where you are... Kind of like the water in our heads that keep our equalibrium and tells us which way is up and down...
What I find interesting about it is that when you experience the flip, it's like seeing a whole new space around you...

it's like visiting a parallel dimension of sorts - another version of the space that you are familiar with.

I remember as a child first seeing the house that I lived in from other directions and it was so cool...

I'd visit each room that I was so familiar with and they would seem so strange and weird... flipped around in a new direction...

it was like exploring the unknown...

a new world, a new universe...

I'm still totally fascinated with this phenomenon today, and I try doing the flip often every day just for fun.

The people that I have helped to do the flip have been totally amazed by the experience as well.

There are ways to partially see it using mirrors and double reflections, but the actual instant rotation is great to experience. :)

One last thing, when you get a VRI flip do any of your senses change other than your sense of direction?
Smell, taste, touch, sound and sight all remain the same before and after the VRI flip.

#18    G3N0M3

G3N0M3

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostHugh, on Jul 27 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

I don't see a connection to what you have experienced in the astral world unfortunately.

What I find interesting about it is that when you experience the flip, it's like seeing a whole new space around you...

it's like visiting a parallel dimension of sorts - another version of the space that you are familiar with.

I remember as a child first seeing the house that I lived in from other directions and it was so cool...

I'd visit each room that I was so familiar with and they would seem so strange and weird... flipped around in a new direction...

it was like exploring the unknown...

a new world, a new universe...

I'm still totally fascinated with this phenomenon today, and I try doing the flip often every day just for fun.

The people that I have helped to do the flip have been totally amazed by the experience as well.

There are ways to partially see it using mirrors and double reflections, but the actual instant rotation is great to experience. :)

Smell, taste, touch, sound and sight all remain the same before and after the VRI flip.

Yeah as to what you said it being like another reality is quite normal especialy for us as humans we will try to deny something we can't explain subconsciously, I experience that actualy quite often except sometimes it is still being conscious, kind of like my brain just CLICKS and then I see everything differently, sometimes its like another reality just crossed paths and everything is different...

So how could I do this flip that you so highly regard :D?

You teach me and I'll teach you something even cooler... Lucid Dreaming, where you can control your dream indeffinatly, you could go from battling zombies to having an orgie with 20 girls, back to a videogame world... The limits are endless...

Posted Image

#19    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

View PostG3N0M3, on Jul 27 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

Yeah as to what you said it being like another reality is quite normal especialy for us as humans we will try to deny something we can't explain subconsciously, I experience that actualy quite often except sometimes it is still being conscious, kind of like my brain just CLICKS and then I see everything differently, sometimes its like another reality just crossed paths and everything is different...
Perhaps you can initiate the VRI as well, but aren't fully aware of what is different with the new viewpoint.

Try focusing a bit more when you feel the brain click that you mention.

Is everything the same but there is a new direction of viewing involved?

View PostG3N0M3, on Jul 27 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

So how could I do this flip that you so highly regard :D?

You teach me and I'll teach you something even cooler... Lucid Dreaming, where you can control your dream indeffinatly, you could go from battling zombies to having an orgie with 20 girls, back to a videogame world... The limits are endless...
I've experienced lucid dreaming and I love to just start running and taking off and flying around, it's really fun to wake up in a dream and control what you do at will.

Okay, as far as experiencing the VRI there is a way I came up with to help, by using two mirrors.

It helps to have one stationary big mirror, like on a wall or door, and one you can hold in your hands that has a straight edge.

If you take the smaller mirror in your hands, and hold it vertically at a 90 degree angle to a wall mirror, you will see at the intersection, in the double mirror image, the 180 degree flipped around view of the viewpoint you are currently seeing.

The writing you see in that double mirror image will appear correctly, as do any photos.

If you do a 180 degree VRI flip into it, you then see where you just were in the double mirror reflection from the "other side" . You see things from the other direction!

I remember showing my parents this as a child and saying "You see that other room over there, I can go into it!"

Of course you physically don't go into the other room, you just see things from that direction.

To see the 90 degree flipped other two directions, just hold the mirror at a 45 degree angle away from the wall mirror, either on your right or left respectively, and look at the double reflection shown.  

It's always easier for me to do a 180 degree flip than a 90, and fun to experience it with the double mirrors.

Another way I can easily experience a VRI is in a movie theater.

Think of how you feel when facing the movie screen towards the north.

Visualize yourself sitting in that theater facing the screen in a northerly direction.

Do the same with each of the other directions; south, east and west.

Feel how it feels to sit in each of those directions.

Then when you get to a movie theater, see which direction it is that you are facing.

You just have to think of being in another theater that faces one of the other three directions, and you should get a 90 or 180 degree VRI flip after focusing on it for a while.

If the movie begins, continue to try to do the flip every few minutes.

Don't ruin your enjoyment of the movie over it but just mentally think every once and a while which direction it is that you are facing the screen.

Think of when you watched a movie in another theater that faced in one of the other directions.

You might be surprised to find that on one of your checks that you have flipped things around. Cool.

Try to hold it there.

Realize that you are now seeing the exact same screen from another direction.

Go back to watching the movie. Play around with this and have fun. :)

Here is what someone called danielmoore said about experiencing a VRI for the first time in a movie theater:

"seeing VRI's is one of the most amazing experiences ive had, everything that you are familiar w/ just swaps, the places are still the same but its like viewing it from an intirely different perspective even though you and all the stuff is in the same place that it normally would be."

#20    G3N0M3

G3N0M3

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Cool I'll try both of those, thanks man :D

So you can lucid dream every night?

If not I can help you practice and be able to do it whenever you sleep.

Its cool though to run at super speeds, or fly through the air like Goku or Superman lol, or run and blast through a building wall, or making someone you hate appear in your dream and start wailing on them, untill you like them lol. Or of course every guys favorite, sex!

LOL well I'll see you around.
G3N0M3

*edit* Or re-create your favorite video game and play as the character and play the game in your head!! LOL SOOO MUCH TO DO, AND SO MUCH TIME!!! I mean when don't you sleep :D

Edited by G3N0M3, 28 July 2009 - 04:41 AM.

Posted Image

#21    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

View PostG3N0M3, on Jul 28 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

Cool I'll try both of those, thanks man :D
Great!

View PostG3N0M3, on Jul 28 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

So you can lucid dream every night?

If not I can help you practice and be able to do it whenever you sleep.
I used to lucid dream quite often.

There was a book I had that talked about how to do it and it suggested during the day to be asking yourself often "Am I dreaming right now?" and to look around and think.

Eventually it became such a habit that I did it in one of my dreams and I actually stayed dreaming yet I knew I was dreaming.

Lots of fun flying around and such.

I had also heard that vitamin B6 helped with the lucidity, and found taking a small bit of it did help.

Good luck with the VRI experiments and report back with any successes please! :)

#22    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

• c^2= (d/t)^2 = d^2/t^2 = (d^2) x (1/t^2)...Time is squared

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Hello Hugh,

Took some time to respond so you would have a chance for some other responses yes I have had experiences like this.. What you’re suggesting is interesting, as it does give a person a chance to change perspective naturally and that is a good thing. Considering what I mentioned earlier, spinning or turning in place could be a method for subjectively isolating ones self.

Any thoughts?

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all states
that can be perceived as matter
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time        
Man is infinite
God is more
Black Hole Creates Spectacular Light Show

#23    t100

t100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

• You know, it's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in battle-to get one's head cut off.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:31 AM

After holding a hand-held mirror up to a wall mirror, it produced an interesting effect, but it wasn't something i myself could experience from my own vantage point. Which image are you suggesting to look into when holding a mirror perpendicular to the wall mirror?

That's the effect of living backwards, it always makes one a little giddy at first-

#24    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

View PostTriad, on Jul 29 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

Hello Hugh,

Took some time to respond so you would have a chance for some other responses yes I have had experiences like this.. What you’re suggesting is interesting, as it does give a person a chance to change perspective naturally and that is a good thing. Considering what I mentioned earlier, spinning or turning in place could be a method for subjectively isolating ones self.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Triad.

It's interesting that you mention the spinning method.

There has been some research by Charles Oman for NASA that has involved VRIs.

It involved a "tumbling room" that allowed the slow moving of a room so that different visual signals would be given and the results noted.

Here's a link to one of the project papers: http://mvl.mit.edu/N...s/project2.html

Here's a picture of the interior of the tumbling room:

Posted Image

One can imagine the VRIs that would occur including 180 degree top to bottom ones like in space. :)

#25    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:42 AM

A common question to the idea of spinning in place for two minutes is, but won't that cause me to fall? The answer is no, it is only until one stops spinning that one can fall. With respect to NASA currently considering the potential literally, that this may have some effect upon feelings of isolation, as this is a behavior children engage in naturally.

With regard to meditation one cannot begin to stress the positive relevance of in respect to feelings of isolation.  :yes: a particular such sensation is a very important goal in developing self awareness.

Any thoughts?

PS: Do children spin in place because they want to be alone??

Edited by Triad, 29 July 2009 - 03:47 AM.

Man is infinite
God is more

#26    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:44 AM

View Postt100, on Jul 29 2009, 03:31 AM, said:

After holding a hand-held mirror up to a wall mirror, it produced an interesting effect, but it wasn't something i myself could experience from my own vantage point. Which image are you suggesting to look into when holding a mirror perpendicular to the wall mirror?
Hi t100 and thanks for your interest. :)

The effect with the mirrors is much better if you're in a larger room, because you can see the rotated space more fully in the double reflection.

As you hold the hand held mirror up to the wall mirror perpendicularly (at a 90 degree right angle or T), look into the intersection of the two mirrors.

Look at yourself at the intersection of the mirrors.

Turn the hand held mirror so that it is exactly perpendicular and you see the two reflected halves of your face come together as a full, normal face.

Interestingly enough, this double reflection is how you actually appear to other people, and how you look in a normal photograph.  :)

Okay, now behind that full double reflected face you'll see the room you are in doubly reflected, and turned around 180 degrees.

You'll notice that any writing that appears on a wall for example appears as it normally does in the room you are in.

See that space as an accessible space, and stare at yourself and into the room you want to "go in to".

As I've said, you don't actually go into another room when you see a VRI flip, but it appears like that, because when it happens, you are now looking at yourself from the other direction!

From what appears to be the other face in the mirror! Which is you of course lol.

It's really cool and fun to do.

With practice, you can go back and forth between the two views and look around at the "new viewpoint room" you're in lol.

The 180 VRI is the easiest to do.

Let me know how it works out t100. :)

#27    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hmmm, Triad, it seems we're on different tracks here. :)

You mentioned that you've had similar experiences to the VRI, what were they like?

#28    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

You mentioned the example of coming out of a subway that I am familiar with that and one could say that fundamentally I understand where you are coming from.

Any thoughts?

Man is infinite
God is more

#29    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,769 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

View PostTriad, on Jul 29 2009, 05:07 AM, said:

You mentioned the example of coming out of a subway that I am familiar with that and one could say that fundamentally I understand where you are coming from.

Any thoughts?
Yes, it's happened to me too.

When coming up, sometimes everything is flipped around from it's normal view, so your brain flips it back to normal so that your bearings are back to normal and you know where you are again.

It's interesting that with practice, one can normalize all four different viewpoints to a certain extent, so that one can consciously flip between them at will.

This is so fascinating, that there are different viewpoints to our surroundings. :)

#30    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:19 AM

There is that saying about 4 blind men approaching an elephant from 4 directions and then being asked to describe an elephant.

It relates to our problem with understanding reality.

Any thoughts?

Man is infinite
God is more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users