Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Mutation, born with two sets of adult teeth


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Idaho

  • Definition of anything depends upon ones perspective.
    Definition of "shortcut" from 5 yr old perspective " The funnest distance between two points"

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

I was born with two sets of adult teeth in my jaws instead of one resulting obviously in eruption of two full sets of teeth to replace my baby teeth.  As you can probably imagine I looked like a monster where my teeth were concerned.  I have always been curious about how many people have this.  Dentists have always told me that it isnt uncommon for people to have some extra teeth but they were blown away that I had two full sets, they all said that they had never heard of that happening before.  I find it hard to believe if it is that common for people to have extra teeth that it would be unheard of "other than me" for someone to have an entire extra set.

I may be wrong but if it is that common for extra teeth even in small numbers wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics?  I have tried to find other incidences of two sets of teeth but I have been unable to find anything, anyone else heard of anything like this? I cant be the only one, that is statistically very improbable.  I am just curious as to how common this is and where the acrheological proof of a past ancestor haveing two sets of teeth would be.  I cant recall ever hearing of double teeth sets before, in humans anyway, does anyone else have info.

I suppose it is possible that two sets of teeth could be something relatively new and we are slowly changeing towards this maybe.

Thankfully none of my children show this trait so far, I am hopefull this will skip them, if you can imagine having had an entire set of teeth pulled and a set of wisdom teeth along with 7 yrs of orthodontics which damaged some of my remaining teeths roots causing many many root canals to be done and then more teeth pulling of the remaining as well as oral surgeries... to put it mildly I VERY MUCH DISLIKE DENTISTS.  I really hope my children never have to deal with that, funny thing is my teeth never bothered me just everyone else.  I was always fascinated by the fact that it was different I suppose it is part of the reason genetics fascinate me so much.

If any one knows about other examples of extra teeth I would love to read about it, and if anyone has any insight into the genetic end of this I would love to read about it.

Well thanks for your time all, I will chat with you later.

Mountain

Edited by MountainGuardian, 22 September 2009 - 04:34 PM.


#2    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,052 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

My youngest son was born with teeth.  Called Natal Teeth.  So he had three sets.  Natal, baby and adult.

He's mostly normal.  :)

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#3    Purplos

Purplos

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,552 posts
  • Joined:03 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fighting ennui in suburban NJ

  • Everything important is infinite.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Quote

wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics?

I don't think so. Mutations can happen outside of the historical evolutionary path.

My youngest son got 2 sets of adult teeth for some of his teeth. Meaning he lost a baby tooth, grew an adult tooth, lost that adult tooth (I freaked out) and then grew another new adult tooth in its place. Only for a few teeth (so far) though.

Embrace the impossible.

#4    MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Idaho

  • Definition of anything depends upon ones perspective.
    Definition of "shortcut" from 5 yr old perspective " The funnest distance between two points"

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

View PostPurplos, on 22 September 2009 - 04:42 PM, said:

I don't think so. Mutations can happen outside of the historical evolutionary path.

My youngest son got 2 sets of adult teeth for some of his teeth. Meaning he lost a baby tooth, grew an adult tooth, lost that adult tooth (I freaked out) and then grew another new adult tooth in its place. Only for a few teeth (so far) though.


How did he lose his adult teeth?  Did they pull them or did the get knocked out or something? My teeth were growing in as two rows of teeth one inside the other and they had to be pulled because the roots went into the jawbone like adult teeth.

Did both of his teeth have long roots or just the replacements?


#5    tmonk

tmonk

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2009

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

i had my wisdom teeth removed and a few years later another tooth appeared in the upper right


#6    Purplos

Purplos

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,552 posts
  • Joined:03 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fighting ennui in suburban NJ

  • Everything important is infinite.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

Quote

How did he lose his adult teeth? Did they pull them or did the get knocked out or something? My teeth were growing in as two rows of teeth one inside the other and they had to be pulled because the roots went into the jawbone like adult teeth.

Did both of his teeth have long roots or just the replacements?

The first adult teeth got loose and were pushed out by the new teeth coming in. They had roots as well, smaller than what I remember normal teeth looking like, but not at all like baby teeth. He has very odd-shaped teeth as well; they look a bit like faceted rocks. It was very odd in there for a while.

This only happened with 3 teeth. His other ones just had 2 sets like normal.

Embrace the impossible.

#7    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Deep South

  • We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

Does anyone have pictures of what this condition looks like?

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#8    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,052 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 23 September 2009 - 10:22 PM, said:

Does anyone have pictures of what this condition looks like?

Posted Image


Posted Image

NIbs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#9    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Deep South

  • We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the pictures Nibs.   I don't see anything too shocking though.
One concern would be pain, from a mouth overcrowded with teeth.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#10    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,052 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 24 September 2009 - 11:19 PM, said:

Thanks for the pictures Nibs.   I don't see anything too shocking though.
One concern would be pain, from a mouth overcrowded with teeth.


Well, these are pics of natal teeth.  That is what my son had.  They fell out and then he got his baby teeth.  Most of those fell out (some knocked out, he was "active") then his adult teeth.

Sounds like the OP has two rows.  Actual extra teeth.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#11    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2009

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

I had a few "extra" adult teeth come through, had to have 6 teeth removed in order to have my braces fitted.  This included 4 large molars, having them removed was one of the most distubing things i have ever suffered and the resultant wounds bled almost none-stop for over 4 hours. (shiver)

I know somone who has extra front teeth, a pair of them just behind his main pair, they ahve never been a problem for him.


#12    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Deep South

  • We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

View PostWyrdlight, on 25 September 2009 - 12:41 PM, said:

I had a few "extra" adult teeth come through, had to have 6 teeth removed in order to have my braces fitted.  This included 4 large molars, having them removed was one of the most distubing things i have ever suffered and the resultant wounds bled almost none-stop for over 4 hours. (shiver)

I know somone who has extra front teeth, a pair of them just behind his main pair, they ahve never been a problem for him.


I had the same thing happen to me with my braces.  4 big molars in the back, extracted at the same time.
My face swelled up enough that strangers were looking at me funny.

It probably bled for 4 hours too.  I almost fainted from the blood loss.  Had to go to bed and curl up in a fetal position.
Yeah, I think I was traumatized by this.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#13    ToySouljah

ToySouljah

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:38 AM

I have 2 extra teeth on my bottom row around the molar and canine area.  The dentist said they shouldn't be a problem unless they start to push up.  He said it was realy up to me if I wanted them removed.  I decided to leave them in there since they are not noticable at all and do not cause any pain.  If they do happen to start to push up they would have to be removed.


#14    shlongy

shlongy

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined:15 Jan 2011

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

The only people found with 2 rows before were an ancient race of people who dirived from the niphiliam, the origins of this race were stated in the bible and these niphiliam could well be living somewhere today unseen, strains of their genome could well show up now and then, [not saying it's the case here, unless your family has a history of excessive height?] They were completely wiped out after the flood, BUT, because human history still find they existed after the flood can only mean one thing, they are still at it, if you read how they come about you will know what i mean, it's in the bible.
Again they are refered to in the bible when the Isrealites fought with God and completelty destroyed them to take what is now a Israel, the land of milk and honey, but a much larger portion to what they have today.
Other references to them are linked to Greek mythology.
Man's own term's in history refer to them as:
men of renown.
men of old.
Etc Etc Etc
The evidence and history of these people are boundless.....Tribes, heights, armour, Kings are just too much to list here.
In any case it doesnt matter where were from, it's who we are today that counts!


#15    Copasetic

Copasetic

    438579088 what am I?

  • Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • Joined:12 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

View PostMountainGuardian, on 22 September 2009 - 04:29 PM, said:

I was born with two sets of adult teeth in my jaws instead of one resulting obviously in eruption of two full sets of teeth to replace my baby teeth.  As you can probably imagine I looked like a monster where my teeth were concerned.  I have always been curious about how many people have this.  Dentists have always told me that it isnt uncommon for people to have some extra teeth but they were blown away that I had two full sets, they all said that they had never heard of that happening before.  I find it hard to believe if it is that common for people to have extra teeth that it would be unheard of "other than me" for someone to have an entire extra set.

I may be wrong but if it is that common for extra teeth even in small numbers wouldnt that be a sign that somewhere in the past at least some humans had two sets of teeth and it is slowly disapearing from our genetics?  I have tried to find other incidences of two sets of teeth but I have been unable to find anything, anyone else heard of anything like this? I cant be the only one, that is statistically very improbable.  I am just curious as to how common this is and where the acrheological proof of a past ancestor haveing two sets of teeth would be.  I cant recall ever hearing of double teeth sets before, in humans anyway, does anyone else have info.

I suppose it is possible that two sets of teeth could be something relatively new and we are slowly changeing towards this maybe.

Thankfully none of my children show this trait so far, I am hopefull this will skip them, if you can imagine having had an entire set of teeth pulled and a set of wisdom teeth along with 7 yrs of orthodontics which damaged some of my remaining teeths roots causing many many root canals to be done and then more teeth pulling of the remaining as well as oral surgeries... to put it mildly I VERY MUCH DISLIKE DENTISTS.  I really hope my children never have to deal with that, funny thing is my teeth never bothered me just everyone else.  I was always fascinated by the fact that it was different I suppose it is part of the reason genetics fascinate me so much.

If any one knows about other examples of extra teeth I would love to read about it, and if anyone has any insight into the genetic end of this I would love to read about it.

Well thanks for your time all, I will chat with you later.

Mountain

Complete hyperdontia is rather rare. As someone else pointed out this wouldn't have been from a historic (evolutionary speaking) mutation, rather a "new" mutation that happened to either the sperm or egg that made you.

For such a scale, I would suspect that it wasn't a mutation in the actual process of tooth-bud development, but rather a mutation in the genes which coordinate cranio-facial development and it gave you another axis or plane that the underlying mesenchymal cells recognized as "grow tooth here".

Although that is only my guess and obviously being unable to examine your genome is limited to a suspicion.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users