Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wal-Mart to Hire 100,000 Veterans

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

I make well under $75K a year... You couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. And frankly, when I'm price shopping... Walmart generally isn't that much less expensive to be honest!

You have made a good point.. Walmart own ASDA .. And ASDA are forever on TV ( over here ) bantering about their - Roll Back price slogan..  Yet when I look at the price comparison on other major stores, they really do not jump out as the cheapest place to shop.. It's swings and roundabouts.. Meaning.. You can find so many products at ASDA ( Walmart ) that are cheap enough  ( some dirt cheap and not worth it )  but you can go into their competitor like  TESCO'S and find they have the same products only cheaper again..   It really depends on what you are out to get.. Sometimes ASDA is cheaper for some things but not all, they can be a lot more expensive than others for other items .. One thing they are great at is that Roll Back slogan constantly putting it into peoples heads that they are the only cheapest place to shop ..What they wont brag about is how a good number of their items are more expensive than most other places ..

I stick with Sainsburys myself. .I prefer their food brands more..  Each to their own

And without trying to sound like a snob, but I would not consider buying my clothes from ASDA either  ( George ) I like clothing that is going to last and worth the money..  I may buy  little Aaron some bibs and little romper suits for every day use, but that's it .. For everything else I would go elsewhere ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#17    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

View Postand then, on 17 January 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

Many, if not most of these vets will bring a level of discipline and knowledge to their job that is lacking from a civilian labor force.  Like it or not, military training is some of the best around.  I think it is an excellent idea and I applaud Walmart for it.  I just wish they would pay a living wage to everyone they employ.

Yea man, part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits are exactly what our boys need. F walmart.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#18    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 17 January 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

Costcos average demographic makes $75k per year. Walmarts average customer is $30-$35 or less. Costco is more expensive. Walmart exists to save people money. Seriously, click the forum link I posted above. It's not about what I say. There are several articles that I pasted the entire articles right in the page that explain why Walmart is the way it is and how they save consumers around $200B a year vs if everyone shopped at Costco or elsewhere.

Saving people money by using slave labor from china is not something to brag about.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Yea man, part time minimum wage jobs with no benefits are exactly what our boys need. F walmart.

Do they not offer veterans a pension?   When I worked in B&Q ( like Lowes in the US )  We had a few working within the store.. They got their benefits and a pension scheme .. What they liked about it was getting out to work again and mixing with people..

#20    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Crappy working conditions, crappy pay, following and not questioning orders or else......should be a nice easy transition for most.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#21    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postacidhead, on 17 January 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

It's possible that the majority of those 100 000 jobs will be over seas - in China!.... lol.... just kidding.

You raise a good point.... Is Wal Mart about to announce building a 100 new stores across america?  Or are they planning on firing existing work force and replacing them with those who served the globalists wars and occupations?

This is getting so messed.
GreatmYou know I had a good life when I was in the millitary,I was a Marine snipper and could hit all my targets,Funny thing is I was never really good at anything else,"VERY SAD" I wonder what kind of job they would give someone like me,Im an OLD rusted  piece of steal No one wants to hire me due to my advanced Diabeties,I could be dead in the next year or two but that dosent put food on the table,I Need a JOB  but I cant see myself working for Wallmart,They discrimminate against women and Blacks,I cant see my self working for that kind of company,still if they hired me I can asure you the sporting good department would be always fully stocked with fishing gear,LOL

Edited by The Unseen, 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#22    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,675 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I always thought that the Armed Forces were advertised as giving you "Real Skills" that transfer easily to the Civilan workforce...so why the Jobs push from Walmart??

You join the Armed Forces from choice or necessity, but you are paid and receive certain Vet benefits when you leave (not available to Civilians), so this sounds a bit like politicking, and not useful for the Civilians who have never joined the Armed Forces

#23    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,383 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

The people laughing about janitors and ranting that somehow our lack of training is the problem should be insisting that these battle-tested soldiers experienced in high-stress combat should be providing security to our schools and movie theaters across the country before finding employment at Walmart.  It just just goes to show, there's no market supply for this vaunted lack of training, one of the latest problems the gun controllers manufactured to slander the 2nd with.

Walmart volunteering to hire our veterans beats unemployment and welfare.   Walmart has an image to repair; this is one way of doing it.   The implication that the pay sucks and therefore this news should be discounted doesn't add up.  The pay is commensurate to skill, as it should be.   You're not going to get any highly skilled jobs at Walmart and so don't expect pay levels that high skill commands.  These employees are semi-skilled at best, and they're paid accordingly.  As they should be.   It might be a fancier employer like Apple or Intel who did this, but what are these veterans trained to do at these companies?   They don't have the technical skills to warrant hiring them.  It's not a bad reflection on Intel anymore than this is a bad reflection on Walmart.  It's supply and demand, with a caveat that Walmart is trying to give back to the communities it has steamrolled.

If the rationale for Walmart doing this is some implicit agreement with the policy, then I can agree with the contemptuous voices about this story.   But if I can't even blame the veterans for fighting the wars, I'm not going to blame Walmart for hiring them.   Yes the argument can be made that volunteering implies agreement with the policy, but I don't expect these kids to be so wise to the world that they're not going to be influenced by their parents who fly the flag and vote for Obama, or their peers who were raised by similar households.   We shouldn't be so bitter that we train ourselves to stop caring about anyone who doesn't agree with our politics.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#24    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,227 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

I hear that but it's better than nothing when something is needed. No one is going to force them to work there. The other offers they could make is they'll help a few people and give them a lot or help 100,000 people for less or no offer at all. One thing I feel about people in these arguments is that all of a sudden it becomes Walmarts responsibility to make sure the world is fair. Like the or not, it isn't.

Posted Image

#25    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,245 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Do they not offer veterans a pension?   When I worked in B&Q ( like Lowes in the US )  We had a few working within the store.. They got their benefits and a pension scheme .. What they liked about it was getting out to work again and mixing with people..

Only the ones who retire or are medically seperated get pensions BM...  Most of the vets they are talking about (I assume) are those who've spent one enlistment period (3 or 4 years) and then got out...  And with the economy the way it is, few retiree's (civilian or military) can afford to turn their noses up at additional income...

I realize that many on the military were trained in skills that do not translate well to the civilian world (not a lot of call for an artilleryman on the 'outside' for example)... but quite a few of us did get useful skills (for me, electronics and computer systems)... For those that were not fortunate - or far sighted - enough to get "useful" training, this is not a bad deal...  Though I would recommend they couple it with training at a vo-tech or college to be positioned to move into a more stable job...

#26    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostTaun, on 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Only the ones who retire or are medically seperated get pensions BM...  Most of the vets they are talking about (I assume) are those who've spent one enlistment period (3 or 4 years) and then got out...  And with the economy the way it is, few retiree's (civilian or military) can afford to turn their noses up at additional income...

I realize that many on the military were trained in skills that do not translate well to the civilian world (not a lot of call for an artilleryman on the 'outside' for example)... but quite a few of us did get useful skills (for me, electronics and computer systems)... For those that were not fortunate - or far sighted - enough to get "useful" training, this is not a bad deal...  Though I would recommend they couple it with training at a vo-tech or college to be positioned to move into a more stable job...

3 or 4 Years? Thats not a veteran....(well it is, but not when you think Veteran - long serving) They choose to be in the army (most of them Id assume) therefore have to live with the fact they wasted there live getting non cilivan type training and work.

There are many people out there that are wanting just a job - and if a veteran gets choosing over them, jsut becasue of this - then I beleive it is unfair.

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 17 January 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image

#27    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostTaun, on 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

I want to ask you..( Just to see if you guys worked the same as us )  .. If you are in full time employment, would it be normal for your company to offer it's employees a pension scheme ?   I have been saving up in my own pension for at least 10years now...If I get another job some place else, I have the option to carry forth my current pension and keep saving ..  It comes out of your wage each month along with tax and your national insurance...      So, by the time I am 65 ( and I am currently still in my 30's now )  I should have a good bit saved in my pension...  A lot of us will do that over here  Some of us will have more than one pension

#28    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 17 January 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

3 or 4 Years? Thats not a veteran....(well it is, but not when you think Veteran - long serving) They choose to be in the army (most of them Id assume) therefore have to live with the fact they wasted there live getting non cilivan type training and work.

There are many people out there that are wanting just a job - and if a veteran gets choosing over them, jsut becasue of this - then I beleive it is unfair.
I served from 1991 -2005 before they said your diabeies is way too bad for you to servemhere are you papers,I said a few choice words before I left with a broken heart,I dont see myself as a veteran,I see myself as an American.All I know how to do is shoot and follow orders,but as far as working at wallmart,It's better than sitting here rotting away doing nothing,Nobody want to hire someone who has advanced Diabeties.sometime I wish that gernade killed me,but heck no I had to walk away from it,Darn it.LOL

#29    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,048 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostThe Unseen, on 17 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

GreatmYou know I had a good life when I was in the millitary,I was a Marine snipper and could hit all my targets,Funny thing is I was never really good at anything else,"VERY SAD" I wonder what kind of job they would give someone like me,Im an OLD rusted  piece of steal No one wants to hire me due to my advanced Diabeties,I could be dead in the next year or two but that dosent put food on the table,I Need a JOB  but I cant see myself working for Wallmart,They discrimminate against women and Blacks,I cant see my self working for that kind of company,still if they hired me I can asure you the sporting good department would be always fully stocked with fishing gear,LOL

I would think a sniper would be great at monitoring security cameras as I take it you would have to have a keen eye and anticipate what people will do and it seems it would be cool to use all the zoom features on the cameras.  Hopefully, your diabetes hasn't affected your eyesight, I'm type 2, myself, and it's no walk in the park but I'm still trying to fight it...

#30    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 17 January 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

A veteran is anyone who served in the military. A war veteran is anyone who served in the military in support of a war.
Because unemployment for veterans was 3% higher than the normal populace there have been tax incentives and what not passed to promote hiring of veterans over civillians.  I am fairly certain that these tax advantages are the real reason for Walmart's generosity in hiring veterans over civillians.
Fair- Probably not.

America- Land of the Free (Highest % of population incarcerated in the world)
    and home of the brave (40% of homeless men are veterans)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users