Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY paper publishes gun owner info

F3SS

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/fury-after-paper-publishes-names-addresses-of-legal-pistol-owners-in-new-york/

Fury After Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners in New York

New York’s “Journal News” ignited a fierce debate Sunday after publishing the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in two New York counties. They are actively working on acquiring data for a third county.

The article, titled “Map: Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?,” reads:

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Data for all permit categories, unrestricted carry, premises, business, employment, target and hunting, is included, but permit information is not available on an individual basis.

To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.

Putnam is still putting together its records and could not immediately provide any data. The map will be updated when that data is released. [Emphasis added]

Here is what the map for Rockland County looks like (note: the image below is a screen shot, so clicking on the dots will not reveal the personal information like in the original):

Screen-Shot-2012-12-24-at-11.55.02-AM-620x438.png

A map for Westchester county is also visible on the site.

Unlike with the above map, however, on the Journal News website, you can click on any one of the dots and get the full name and exact address of the permit holder.

AMI Global Security, which published an article condemning the “massive privacy breach” that is “meant to intimidate the lawful” and “abrogate the Bill of Rights,” collected a few of the first comments:

“If the homeowner is killed or injured, will LOHUD be charged as an accomplice to the crime?”

“It is as if they put out an ad to jewel thieves listing the names and addresses of where to find diamonds and cash.”

“This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this? This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should I hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun?”

“Now everyone knows where the LEGAL GUNS are kept, a valuable piece of information for criminals. Why don’t you do something helpful, like trying to find out where the ILLEGAL GUNS are kept? That would be helpful to the non-criminal population”

AMI Global Security also added recent “threats from local government” with regard to guns.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said last week, as the nation still shook from the tragedy at Sandy Hook, that he was considering new gun control measures when it came to “assault” weapons in the state:

“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”

This is not the first time the journal news has published the private information of gun holders. They pulled a similar stunt back in 2006, but that time, they only published names and municipalities– not exact street addresses.

The power of the press is just as potentially deadly as the power of the gun (and frequently much more irresponsible)... Someone needs to publish a listing of home addresses of everyone who works for the NY Times... lets see how they like it...

• Like 6

whats the point of making rules about guns if everyone already has one.

• Like 2

I don't see the point to this. What were they hoping to accomplish?

Controversy - it sells papers...

Also they are most likely wanting the people whose names are published to fear for their safety, and/or to their privacy so much that they get rid of their LEGAL weapons... The NY Times has in the past published the names of people working in dangerous areas undercover - and has resulted in deaths... They don't care about the law or human decency - just selling papers...

• Like 2

free speech vs privacy is what i read.

free speech vs privacy is what i read.

Perhaps... But what I find interesting is that they are not printing the locations of stores or people that have illegally sold or possessed weapons, nor locations where violent crimes are committed frequently... but the home addresses of LEGAL weapon owners... They are attacking LAW ABIDING citizens, not criminals...

• Like 4

So maybe this info is available through the FoIA but it's highly irresponsible what this paper has done. Merry Christmas criminals. Although I know the intent of this publishing is to out gun owners they are really making a list of homes which are safe to invade, those without guns or handguns at least. Yet another case of liberalism producing the exact opposite of its stated intent. If anything happens to these people who's privacy had been obliterated I would sue this paper which btw isn't the NY Times. I think the op said the NY Journal. There are so many reasons to be infuriated over this and the comments from AMI Security in the op sum them up pretty well.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 2

I hope people in these neighborhoods who are without guns realize this article gave them a reason to go buy one, NOW.

• Like 5

This I understand. The Black Market understands how these things work. Its about supply and demand. Demand has gone way over Supply at this point.

Perhaps... But what I find interesting is that they are not printing the locations of stores or people that have illegally sold or possessed weapons, nor locations where violent crimes are committed frequently... but the home addresses of LEGAL weapon owners... They are attacking LAW ABIDING citizens, not criminals...
Edited by AsteroidX

Because a home is only safe if its owner owns a gun, or what?

No but if you're a criminal looking at a mapped out online database of gun owner homes you cut your odds of breaking into a house with a gun down dramatically. It's a good place to start when looking for a place to rob. How can you not see the criminal incentive here?

• Like 4

I do see what you mean, but there are many more criteria for a burglary. Besides, they could still own any kind of long gun.

I just felt like pointing out that a gun in a home does not make the home safe.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Yea I figured as much and agree with you. But a list like this sure is helpful to would be burglars. It's a good start.

• Like 1

Murder: N.Y./Region 2003-2011

This is another NY Times article about murder in that region... once you bring it up you can set it to display everything from Race to Type of weapon used.... I was going to do an overlay of the recently released (horrible) listing of registered gun owners but I realized that it would have been ignored.

Murder: N.Y./Region 2003-2011

This is another NY Times article about murder in that region... once you bring it up you can set it to display everything from Race to Type of weapon used.... I was going to do an overlay of the recently released (horrible) listing of registered gun owners but I realized that it would have been ignored.

No way man. Do it. That would be interesting to see. I can't view your link right now though. No flash player on the iPad.

Is this supposed to be some type of attempt at a witch hunt, like when Spike Lee published online what he thought was George Zimmerman's address?

whats the point of making rules about guns if everyone already has one.

because everyone doesn't and doesn't want to.

I don't see the point to this. What were they hoping to accomplish?

Make it easier to see the places to avoid. Like sexual predators.

Make it easier to see the places to avoid. Like sexual predators.

Did you seriously just compare legal registered gun owners with sex offenders?

• Like 3

Apparently ninja and the op think people exercising their constitutional rights should be warned of publicly on Megan's Law. What a putrid statement dude.

• Like 2

Those murder rates dont look bad.

Because a home is only safe if its owner owns a gun, or what?

If you are going to advertise I dont have a gun to the whole world, yea.

Did you seriously just compare legal registered gun owners with sex offenders?

Its better this way. The more outragious the claims the more public opinion will lean to the correct side.

• Like 1