Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your crotch can kill

glorybebe

An edgy new campaign aimed at distracted drivers is being rolled out across Alberta called "Crotches Kill."

The idea is to remind drivers to keep their eyes on the road and not on the phones in their lap.

"Because every text you send from your lap takes your eyes off the road for five seconds — enough to do a lifetime of damage," the ad states.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/02/21/calgary-crotches-kill.html

Well, it got my attention!!

• Like 3

Wish my eyesight was good enough to see my "crotch". I gotta hold the phone at eye-level, so I'm safe then. :no:

And I admit, your thread topic did intrigue me. So good campaign catch-phrase!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Hey,Daryl Hannah had that down pat in Blade Runner,decades before this. Lol

• Like 1

I had to check on this thread. Is it gonna go places because that title.. :nw:

• Like 1

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tches-kill.html

Well, it got my attention!!

I saw a video taken from a police cruiser where someone was texting or doing something and lost control of his vehicle. He was on a four lane divided highway. He hit the truck to his right, lost control, then went across the divider and was hit by an oncoming semi. I'll never forget that. It looked like his vehicle just exploded, like someone had thrown a super-powered grenade in it. It was horrible...one minute he was alive and healthy, and just one minute of inattention and, that's all. NEVER take your eyes off the road.

eta: WARNING this is not for the squeamish:

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 1

I saw a video taken from a police cruiser where someone was texting or doing something and lost control of his vehicle. He was on a four lane divided highway. He hit the truck to his right, lost control, then went across the divider and was hit by an oncoming semi. I'll never forget that. It looked like his vehicle just exploded, like someone had thrown a super-powered grenade in it. It was horrible...one minute he was alive and healthy, and just one minute of inattention and, that's all. NEVER take your eyes off the road.

Yup, it is so scary what people will do while driving. We all make mistakes, and do things that we later wonder WTH we were thinking, but, there are so many instances of people dying or getting hurt from things like this. Maybe the little bit of humour in the title will get people's attention and then help them realise it is a serious issue.

• Like 1

Yup, it is so scary what people will do while driving. We all make mistakes, and do things that we later wonder WTH we were thinking, but, there are so many instances of people dying or getting hurt from things like this. Maybe the little bit of humour in the title will get people's attention and then help them realise it is a serious issue.

I agree completely. I know I did some really stupid stuff driving that I'll never do again...maybe watching that video will cause some people to decide not to text and hopefully that can save some lives. I sure hope so.

• Like 1

Theres a move in my State to make texting (and other distracted driver clauses) equal to a DUII.

• Like 1

I hope she denies in court.

I agree completely. I know I did some really stupid stuff driving that I'll never do again...maybe watching that video will cause some people to decide not to text and hopefully that can save some lives. I sure hope so.

I hope so, too. It made me tear up to see a life snuffed like that.

• Like 1

It did me too. To think one minute your whole life is ahead of you, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, family reunions...and then...no more...very heartwrenching

eta: It's kinda scary to me to think about it, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, we're all just one heartbeat away from eternity.

2nd eta: brb, gonna fix me some supper (now please quit yawning!)

Edited by Gummug

It did me too. To think one minute your whole life is ahead of you, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, family reunions...and then...no more...very heartwrenching

eta: It's kinda scary to me to think about it, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, we're all just one heartbeat away from eternity.

I am going to show my daughter that video. The more that kids understand before they start driving, maybe the safer drivers they will be when they get older.

said the same thing when my ex found a texter in the bushes by her steps and he took her life. Luckily he got caught.

oh wait. what the heck am I saying. My crotch cant kill. Its just a pistol that gets whipped from time to time.

• Like 1

Glorybebe, on a more serious note, if you don't think this is too graphic for your daughter, here's another one (personally I think it ought to be mandatory for all beginning drivers to watch):

said the same thing when my ex found a texter in the bushes by her steps and he took her life. Luckily he got caught.

Is that for real, AsteroidX? Did that really happen? If so, I'm very sorry...I thought maybe you were joking...

• Like 1

Glorybebe, on a more serious note, if you don't think this is too graphic for your daughter, here's another one (personally I think it ought to be mandatory for all beginning drivers to watch):

[media=]

[/media]

Thank you, I will wait a bit to show her that one. It is very nice of you to post it, we all need to be aware of this problem.

• Like 1

oh wait. what the heck am I saying. My crotch cant kill. Its just a pistol that gets whipped from time to time.

WELL...... :w00t::blush:

• Like 1

Is that for real, AsteroidX? Did that really happen? If so, I'm very sorry...I thought maybe you were joking...

I wouldnt joke about something like that Gunmug. I may have stretched the texter bit but he did have a flipphone. Luckily our good friend only took a hit in the neck next to her jug and could ID the schmuck.

The thought of these tragic events happening to us or someone in a matter of seconds is terrifying. I won't lie and say I've never done this before it's happened to me in a parking lot was driving around got a text and checked it quickly,next thing I was heading into a curb, could have been worse but it did give me a scare.

Never will I do this again though.

• Like 2

I wouldnt joke about something like that Gunmug. I may have stretched the texter bit but he did have a flipphone. Luckily our good friend only took a hit in the neck next to her jug and could ID the schmuck.

That is horrible! The attack I mean, glad she was able to ID him.

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 1

I'm sorry AsteroidX, I wasn't thinking. That was horrible...I'm glad the friend was OK. Almost makes me hope he gets the death penalty.

Edited by Gummug

We have a saying. It is what it is.

We have a saying. It is what it is.

So true.

I hope that ads like this will stop and make people think. In BC it is illegal to be talking on the cell (holding it up to your ear) while driving. One day I was waiting to cross a crosswalk, and a woman yeilded at a stop sign-big no,no- and was on the cell phone. At another stop sign was a police officer....she got pulled over. What blew me away was that she was laughing that she got caught! Attitudes like that don't encourage change,.